Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Edimax EW-7811UTC AC600 Dual-Band USB Adapter, Mini Size Easy to Carry, Supports Both 11AC ( 5GHz Band ) and 11n ( 2.4GHz Band ) Wi-Fi Connectivity, Upgrades your PC / Laptop for Exceeding Streaming and Faster Download
Amazon Vehicles Buy 2 kids' books and save Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Chris Staples Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now

on February 18, 2014
Original Review: The driver software installed in less than 5 minutes and the adapter works great. I've increased the internet connection speed on my laptop to 57 mbps from 35 mbps by using this to connect to my 5GHz band. Great price!

Update 6 months later: Product quit working a few weeks ago. I guess you get what you pay for :(
44 comments| 34 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 19, 2013
The adapter works, but there are steps you need to follow to set it up in Win8.1.

Much like other Windows 8.1 users, every time i plugged in the adapter my computer would crash.

Here's a fix:

1. download latest drivers from [...] (bottom of page)
2. open downloaded zip and find "Autorun" folder inside the "CD_AC600" folder.
3. double click "autorun.exe" and click "extract all"
4. "autorun.exe" is now unzipped (icon should look like executable file), double click it again to open driver installation guide
5. pick the adapter with skinny antenna and follow instructions on the screen to finish installation.

I took off 2 stars because wireless adapter should never crash your computer. That is unacceptable.
1010 comments| 41 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 30, 2014
Anyone who buys this, don't be so quick to review. Wait a month or two. This thing was a 5/5 when I first bought it. But like for so many others, it stops working properly after a month. Around a month and a half after purchase, I am now having consistent signal drops. Removing the usb stick and putting it back in is a temporary fix, but the signal drops again. I am now attempting to uninstall and reinstall the drivers to see if that fixes the problem. It seems like this product is not built to last. Be patient before rating.

Update: I completed the return process. I paid to have the item shipped back and was told through e-mail that I am being sent a "worry free REFURBISHED" adapter. I paid $10 to ship back a defective adapter and they have the nerve to send me back a used adapter. I will not be buying anything from Edimax again.
55 comments| 17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 3, 2015
Out of the box, this Wi-Fi adapter was easy to install with Windows 10 automatically detecting the driver and installing it. It does come with a CD to be used for installation, not sure whether or not you need it on Windows 7 or 8.

Right away, I was able to use the adapter on a 2.4gHZ Wi-Fi connection via my gateway. Once I set up a 5gHz connection, I was able to hop on that once I enabled it on settings. If you’re not connecting to the 5gHz band, check your Wi-Fi settings in Windows before blaming the dongle – chances are you need to configure your WI-Fi to work on the band.

The dongle can be utilized on a variety of networks, so if you don’t have a built-in Wi-Fi adapter or it’s broken, you can use this as a replacement. On both the 2.4 and 5gHz bands, I got a better performance than my built-in adapter.

The only issue I have with this Wi-Fi USB adapter is that sometimes it runs hot. I have to unplug it, let it cool, then start using it again. I am a heavy Internet user, so that’s part of it but just be aware that it can get hot.
review image review image
on February 20, 2016
After 2 months it stopped working, just like a lot of other people stated in their 1-star reviews. I got it on December 2, 2015, and it stopped working on February 4, 2016...almost exactly two months later, just like everyone else said. Yes, I'm pretty upset...but I'm also a little impressed that the adapter is seemingly so consistent at crapping out. I'm not even going to bother with a return since it was only $15, but I feel I should at least share my experience on Amazon so others don't fall into the same trap I (and many others, apparently) did.
on September 25, 2014
Has driver issues with windows 7 64bit. It is only working on the b/g setting not the auto or any other. I am getting top download speeds of 2 MBs and uploads of under 100KBs. Until the driver issues are worked out this product is a hit or miss. For some it works for others like myself it unfortunately doesn't. If you know of a good usb adapter with good driver support for windows 7 please comment. I need something for my desktop (don't have extra pci slot).
on January 23, 2014
This little dongle works great, but the blue lights on it are really bright. I have this on a media PC in my bedroom and I had to put about 5 layers of blue painters tape on top of the light in order to dim the light sufficiently to not bug me. Other than the bright lights it woorks great. Plugged in and used right away with Windows 7. Over the 802.11ac bands I can transfer a 1GB file over my own network in about 4 min.
on October 11, 2015
Edimax finally released the new El Capitan driver on their website and it works well now. edimax dot us download drivers MAC Edimax.dmg

Update 01/06/2016

Dear customer,
You are in our notice list for the El Capitan driver of Edimax EW-7711MAC AC450 Wireless USB adapter.

We thought you’d like to know that we have the El Capitan driver available now.
Click here to download the latest Macintosh driver.
There are two packages inside, USBWireless-install.pkg and USBWireless-Uninstall.pkg.

Before you run the Installer package (USBWireless-install.pkg), please verify if you have another version of the Edimax Wireless Utility existed in \Applications folder.
on November 18, 2014
I was kind of worried buying this since the price was so low compared to competitors. I'm glad I took the chance I'm using this one a windows 8.1 computer it took a few minutes to go to the website and download the drivers. The website was very user friendly and took away a lot of the stress when trying to find drivers like other bigger companies do.

This doubled the speed on my laptop's speed on 2.4ghz (only band my laptop supports) I was getting around 19-20Mbs downstream on a 50Mbps connection over WIFI. After I got this set up I'm around 40-45Mbs down this is as close as I'm going to get to a wired connection over WIFI and I couldn't be happier.

I also tested this on a Windows 7 and Ubuntu machines with around the same results very happy I will be buying a few more of these.

As for the design I really like the small factor most of the competitors are long and bulky and are just in the way. The Edimax is the perfect size with all the power. I was surprised that at this small form factor it had WPS support that comes in useful when you have a long WIFI password. The only downside is the flashing blue activity light after awhile it gets annoying I just put a small sticker over it so not a huge deal.

As a final note, I recommend this to anyone looking for a low priced reliable adapter with dual band support.
on March 26, 2015
I normally don't bother writing reviews unless something is really good or really bad. This one is worse than bad. You could cut it some slack given the price, but even at $20 it's worthless.

Here's why: Edimax (per their tech support) does not support DFS channels at all.

If you're in the United States, that means that there's only two 80MHz wide channels to use: 36 and 149.

The FCC does allow using channels 52, 100 and 132 if your router (note: ROUTER) supports DFS. This is a radar-frequency detection and avoidance scheme. The router is supposed to check to make sure the channel is not being used by military or doppler radar but if the channel is clear then they can use it.

I have no idea why Edimax wouldn't let their CLIENT ADAPTER use the DFC channels if the router has determined that they are clear, but they don't.

This means that if you want to use this adapter on channels other than 36 and 149 you can forget about it. It just doesn't see ANYTHING in that range. I even checked using inSSIDer 4 and there's a big black hole of spectrum where this thing is as deaf as a hammer.

Stay away.