Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: EDUCATIONAL INSIGHTS DESIGN & DRILL ACTIVITY CENTER
Amazon Vehicles GoldBox Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Britney Spears Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Water Sports

Product Packaging: Standard Packaging|Change

on March 10, 2009
I bought this toy for my 5-year-old. He has autism and loves tool type of toys. As soon as we opened this he got a HUGE grin on his face. Totally a hit with him!

My 3-year-old daughter was DYING for a turn, and she loves to use it as well. Surprisingly, even my 19-month-old daughter can join in with her older siblings...she puts the pegs into the holes for them.

It's great for their fine motor skills...getting the drill bit in the right spot is a little tricky for small hands. There are also hand tools which are good practice for the little ones, too. I also use it to practice turn-taking with the 3 and 5 year olds...each gets to drill a certain number of pegs and then has to trade the drill with their sibling.

And it is FUN! My kids like just filling up the whole board, but I think after we've had it for awhile (it's only been 2 weeks) we can start using some of the patterns. Great idea to extend the life of the toy.

This toy seems really durable, has lots of play options (pattern or freestyle, different drill bits, power tool or hand tool), is educational AND fun. And rarely do I find a toy that all three of my kids can sit around at the same time and play with...but they do with this one! Highly recommended!
UPDATE 9/11:
We have had this toy for three years and it is STILL one of the most popular toys in our house. My kids are now 7, 6, and 4, and all will still play with this one. I do rotate it so they don't see it for a couple months and then when it comes back out they are all fighting over who gets it next. One thing I find interesting is that none of them have ever been interested in making the pictures...they just love to use the drill and get those pegs in!
review image review image
11 comment| 115 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 9, 2004
This play set is wonderful! It is easy to use and entertaining for preschool to early school age children. While kids are having fun playing, they are improving their fine motor skills and patterning. They can be creative with their own designs or learn to follow one of the included pattern cards. The set includes 3 bits for use with the drill or screwdriver handle and 5 different colored large screws. The drill has forward, off, and reverse settings and makes drill sounds at a reasonable volume. Overall a great buy.
0Comment| 123 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 1, 2009
Love this toy, probably the best of the year. It is well made and sturdy. The drill fascinates my 4 year old, and even the 8 yr old and 11 yr old enjoy matching the pattern cards (and they are all girls...). A toy my children will play with for at least 30 mins straight(quite a feat in the video age!!!) If you are considering it, try it...I would bet that you will be impressed.
on February 7, 2010
I purchased this for five year old. The drilling was fun but she hasn't really played with it since. It appeared to be too tedious for her to remove the screws to create another design. She became bored with it very quickly.
on December 6, 2012
Gift for my grandson who loved it!!! But 15 min in it started to have an electrical smell and got very hot and stopped working. Now they have to send the whole thing back and it was a gift. Others have had similar problems. BEWARE before you buy.

UPDATE: The replacement came today and my grandson was so excited as he opened the box and my son and his wife helped him set it up and this time it only lasted 5 minutes before it started smelling and got hot. 5 MINUTES!!!! So we are sending this one back and are going to try again. Somewhere there has to be a toy that is from this company that works.

FINAL UPDATE: We asked for another replacement because my grandson loves this toy so much. I got the following email yesterday that said: "I'm sorry to hear the replacement "Educational Insights Design and Drill Activity Center" had the same problem as your first order. This usually doesn't happen. Since it's likely another replacement would arrive defective, I won't trouble you with another replacement."

"Since it's likely another replacement would arrive defective" So I guess I am done trying to get this toy to work. I am getting a prompt refund but honestly that is not what I wanted. Some people have received drills that worked. I wish I was one for them.
on October 22, 2009
We bought the design and drill activity center for my son's 3rd birthday. We also bought a Take-A-Part Airplane. The drills with the attachments can work on either toy, so we now have 2 drills for the design and drill center. Since we have 2 drills, we bring this out for playdates and it is always a hit. Boys and girls ages 2-6 have enjoyed it. I find that the kids like to drill in a lot more than they like to remove screws, so I end up having to remove them myself so that the toy gets played with, but that's a small price to pay for the 20 minutes or so of concentration this provides.
So far, no one has wanted to replicate the pictures - they just make up their own patterns.
on January 6, 2008
My two and five-year-old boys love to play with this. My youngest just loves drilling in and out, but by oldest uses the pictures and makes designs. This toy is also very durable. This is a great toy for boys!
44 comments| 30 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 27, 2011
How disappointing for my 3 yr old son on Christmas morning when the drill wouldn't work. We tried three brand new sets of batteries----nothing! I wish I read the many complaints about the defective drills on their own website before I bought it. After reading other reviews it looks like my child wasn't the only sad one on Christmas either.
on August 17, 2011
I was very excited to receive this toy. With amazon prime it came a day earlier than expected. Got it home and my son was super excited. Put three different sets of batteries in and I got nothing. The drill does not work. So disappointing, I will be returning this item. It also looked like it might have been used or a return.
on January 15, 2011
This looks like it would be a great toy. My 3 year old daughter has played with the manual screwdrivers but the power drill is IMPOSSIBLE! I have spent at least an hour, first unscrewing the tiny little screw to open the compartment to install batteries. The batteries are on a spring so you have to use force to close the compartment. I have now worked very hard to tighten the compartment but, because of the spring, you can't get the screw to make contact with the other side. I have tried everything -- duct tape, packing tape, rubber bands, etc. It just won't do it. So, even though this has been fun for the manual tools it was way too expensive considering you can't use the power drill (along with having a 3 year old crying because she can't use the toy). So, big Thumbs down on this toy.