Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 307 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 344 reviews
on October 4, 2016
I worried a little bit after reading all the reviews about this microscope. Well, I have had it for a week and the kids have been able to do their science projects just fine. My oldest is 12, and thoroughly enjoys looking at things under the lens. Now, this is not for an adult. It is geared for children. It has a little led light that shines up into the plate to highlight the specimen. I'd say perfect for that young new science learner. Besides, for the price, I'd say it's great!
on March 5, 2014
This microsope was a huge hit with my oldest son. He's been using it nonstop since opening it. While overall it's a good product, I do have some criticisms...

+ The entire body is plastic. I almost broke off a critical part making what I would consider a minor adjustment. Be very cautious.
+ The two eyepieces that came with it screw on and off (instead of slipping in), and do not do so easily. They were very easy to cross-thread and even when I had the threads correctly aligned, it was difficult and jerky to screw them in and out. I was sure I was about to break something.
+ The two clips that hold slides in are stationary. They should at least be loose enough to swivel. Also there is no way to move the clips in an x-y coordinate system as I would expect from a decent microscope--instead you have to manually push the slide around with your finger, which obviously can be a very clunky process.
+ The slides have a square in the middle for the specimen, but the slide covers are ROUND and too big to fit entirely into the square. What the heck? Horrible design decision there.
+ Scalpel looks VERY real! It's non-dangerous plastic, though, but from more than 12 inches away it's hard to tell.

Despite the above "cons" overall I really like this microscope and for the money it's a great value. It's received heavy use in the last week and hasn't broken, which is more than I can say about most mass-produced plastic toys these days. It has introduced my son to the microscopic world, and anything that can so significantly distract his attention from video games is a fantastic product in my opinion.
on August 7, 2016
I bought this for my 10 year old grandson and he absolutely loves it. I wanted to get him something that was educational and would get his mind working without being on his electronic device playing video games. This did the trick. He looks for different things to put under the microscope and I gave him suggestions to look at an onion skin or some stagnant water drops. This is a great gift for kids and it is educational.
on February 1, 2016
For the price, I don't expect this to be the world's greatest microscope set, but I didn't think the tools would be as flimsy and cheap as they are. A couple of them have already broken and my kid has only been using this since Christmas and not carelessly using it either. For the cost, it's fine, but if your child is really into science and has high expectations for a microscope, I would get something a little nicer quality.
on July 20, 2012
I got this microscope for my 10 year old son. He thinks it is pretty cool we have gotten it out several times. The best thing about this microscope is that it comes with an extra 20x eyepiece which allows you to go all the way up to 600x magnification. Most other microscopes I looked at in this price range only went up to 60x or 80x, which pales in comparison to the magnification this one is capable of.

It comes with a few prepared slides, which is nice because you can have something cool to look at right out of the box. The microscope does have a hinge where the base hooks on that allows you to tilt the microscope at an angle for easier viewing. While this feature is nice, it does allow for some "wobblyness" in the microscope, which makes it difficult to look at anything unless the table the microscope is sitting on is perfectly still. If there is someone else walking around in the room, the vibrations from the footsteps are enough to make the microscope wobble and impede your ability to see anything clearly through it. This is why it only gets 4 stars in this review.

FYI, it requires 2 AA batteries which are not included. All in all though, it is a good microscope for the money and comes with a decent group of extras so you can make your own slides. I would buy it again.
on February 17, 2015
This micro scope is a pretty good value for the money it takes 2 AA batteries you have to buy and when you flip the mirror over turns on the LED light which seems to work pretty well. I bought this to look at plant cultures to see before I invest in a $200 microscope with the computer camera. It served my purpose in is sort of a cool kid comes with some plastic utensils the test tube some slides already made as well as blank slides Ect. For the money I can't complain especially I bought one with a damaged package for $17. I really didn't think it was damaged. I would recommend this and I'm 55 years old but it's also a great tool for a young child. It goes up to a 600 magnification which I thought was great. The parts are plastic but the mainframe is metal.
on August 19, 2017
I bought these for a neighbors kid in middle school.
Honestly I expected a little but more, but for the price can't complain too much.
If you're looking for something for elementary school kids it would be passable.
Optics in this are less than stellar.
on February 8, 2014
This little scope is really pretty good for the price and intended age of user. I like the built in light that makes it easier to use then finding a light for the mirror. However, some of the pieces that go with the scope that make it usable are problematic. There must be more interesting specimens for young children as an introduction to a microscope than two leaves that demonstrate a monotonous array of undifferentiated cells. These are the two prepared specimens that we got. To create a specimen for viewing there are usable glass slides, but the cover slips, essential for most viewing, are flimsy pieces of plastic that bend easily. I have used a microscope for many years but I could not make reasonable samples for the children to enjoy with these covers, so I had to go to a lab and get some of the proper ones .. they are so inexpensive that this company really ought to provide them, and also some more interesting prepared slides, because this would be a small investment that would make a big difference in the value of this product..
on May 10, 2013
This is one of those "you get what you pay for" devices. Cheap materials, very basic, but it DOES work. Proper focus is a little tricky, and the sample slides you get aren't too exciting. We did get some water out of the pond in our backyard and we were able to find some cool little critters, so it's a good entry-level microscope that can spark the curiousity of a young boy. But I will stress - the materials are VERY cheap, and this would not stand up to rigorous daily use. The litte screw that needs to be removed in order to install the batteries for the light was nearly impossible to take out without stripping the phillips heads, and turning the light on and off involves twisting the light assembly (no separate switch)....just a little mechanical contact. The packaging is worthless too...don't plan on reusing it for storage.
on January 11, 2015
The optics of this microscope are not good enough to discern even the most basic cellular structures. I was hoping I could show my niece a nucleus, cell walls, etc... but despite my expertise (PhD student that uses microscopes constantly) and despite her enthusiasm, this microscope came up drastically short. Because it was clear that she had an interest in microscopy, I will be sending her a better microscope as a "make-up present". I took one of the pre-made slides to the good microscope at my lab, and it was basically garbage. If you want to discourage your young budding scientist from continuing that path, this is the product for you. If you actually want them to be excited by the microscopic world, buy a different microscope (this one will just frustrate and discourage them).