Industrial Deals Salon Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. STEM Starting at $39.99 Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon soul2soul soul2soul soul2soul  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop now HTL17_gno

on December 14, 2010
We bought this toy for my son for his 4th birthday. He plays with it every day, and his 2 year old brother plays with it whenever he can get his hands on it. I would highly recommend this toy, except for the carrying case. For shoppers, I would recommend buying the version of this set without the storage case since you will have to buy a different case anyway. I purchased this set because I thought it would be great to store everything in one case. Here are the problems:

-The case plus the tools is large and quite heavy. I am afraid my 4 y/o will drop it on his foot and break a bone. The latch on the case is not very sturdy and doesn't stay latched very well.

-The tools fit in the case very snugly. I always have to pry them out for my kids, and it is tough even for me. It is nice to have a toy that my child can operate totally independently.

-The storage area on the inside only holds the fancy bolts, and there are about 100 regular bolts hidden beneath the white board that are in a baggie. Once you take those regular bolts out of the baggie, they don't really fit properly and therefore the main cover doesn't ever close properly again. The storage area should hold all of the bolts. So you will still need another container for the regular bolts.

-The cover for the storage area snapped off on the 2nd day without rough play. It is made of only two little tiny pieces of plastic acting as the hinge.

At this point, the storage case is in the garage (heading for the trash) and I have placed the bolts in a locking lid plastic container. I will be shopping for a storage bin to hold this otherwise awesome toy.
35 helpful votes
36 helpful votes
22 comments|Report abuse
on June 27, 2017
Parts don't fot(screws). So many parts that doesn't fit into a large ziplock. Had to use a large mesh laundry zip bag to store.

This case is combersome and we threw it out. Wish I would have bought the other version since the case serves NO function.
on February 19, 2017
All three kids love playing with this (1-5 years), well made, loads of fun, promotes creativity and facilities development of gross and fine motor skills as well as bimanual tasks. As a mom I love how organized it keeps a ton of pieces.
on May 18, 2017
My grandsons loved their Design and Drill set so much I purchased it for my great nephew's third birthday. He absolutely loves it! Great play value for many years! I will be purchasing another set for my granddaughter's third birthday this summer!
on September 8, 2016
I purchased 2 of these for 2 of my 3 year old grandsons and it was one of the biggest hit toys ever! It was even played with for hours with a 6 year old older brother. It's not often that one can find a toy that can be played with by a 3 and 6 year old for hours. This is an absolute definite hit!
on July 5, 2017
My grandson, 6 yrs. loves this!!
on March 5, 2015
WHEN YOU HAVE SCREW AND BOLTS IN THE BOARD YOU CAN NOT CLOSE HAVE TO REMOVE ALLTO CLOSE
on October 13, 2017
Our grandson loves to play with this drill set. Mom and Dad love it because it has it's own durable carrying case. Win/win.
on December 28, 2010
My 3.5yo loves the drill and screwdriver -- his specific request from Santa -- and so far it is working great. There are gobs of screws to play with and the variety of tools with interchangeable tips offers plenty of options to keep this toy interesting at length. We particularly love that it's got two motorized bodies (drill and screwdriver) so that more than one child can play at once.

But the case really is terribly designed and constructed. Happy mama covered all of our complaints about this toy's case. We had every one of the same problems. One tip for getting the peg board to seat properly: If a parent carefully moves the screws away from the corners and edges before replacing the peg board, it pretty consistently falls into place.

Given the price I paid (about 50% of list), I'm content. But I pity the parent who paid full price.
on January 3, 2011
My 4 year old and 2 year old son got this for Christmas and love it. They've played with it at length. My 4 year old calls it his "work bench". I got this version solely because of the carrying case- wish I had read the reviews first! As mentioned, it is hard to get the tools out of the case for my sons. Packing the case back up to put the toy away is also tedious, as if any of the screws are under the corners of the mat, it doesn't sit flat. And, if there are any screws still screwed into the mat, it won't shut either. I had to take apart my son's "masterpiece" just to put it away. Other than the case, however, we love it!
3 helpful votes
0Comment|Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.