Customer Reviews: Educational Insights The Sneaky Snacky Squirrel Game
Amazon Vehicles Oct16 Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Subscribe & Save Cozy Knits Book 2 or More Hours of House Cleaning on Amazon fin fin fin  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 All-New Kindle Oasis hhnsweeps Shop Cycling on Amazon

Product Packaging: Standard Packaging|Change

I am all about games that are not only fun for my husband and I but that we can also play with our boys who are 3 and 4. Sneaky, Snacky Squirrel is one of those games. First off, the sturdy box it comes it actually acts as part of the gameboard, which is nice. There is no money to deal with or cards to read either which makes it perfect for young kids. The object of the game is to fill your log with all five colored acorns to feed the hungry squirrels in the winter!

To play the game all you do is give each player a log piece which they have to fill with five acorns, dump all the acorns in the game box and then each player takes turn spinning the spinner to see what their move should be. The spots on the spinner are relatively simple: Pick an acorn of a specific color, Pick any 1 acorn, Pick any 2 acorns, Steal an acorn from another player, Skip your turn, and Loose all your acorns. You use adorable squirrel plastic tweezers, which are very simple and perfect for little hands.

Sneaky, Snacky Squirrel is a game perfect for preschoolers to develop matching skills, develop fine motor skills, social skills of taking turns and strategic thinking skills. Kids are not only learning their colors, but learning decision making as they pick which acorn they need and learn good sportsmanship when their turn is skipped. It really is a cute game perfect for both boys and girls. My boys love the squirrel tweezers the best!
22 comments| 448 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 30, 2014
I am a school-based speech therapist and I received this game gratis from Educational Insights in exchange for an honest review.

The game play of The Sneaky Snacky Squirrel Game! follows the same principle of play as Hi-Ho-Cherry-O, but adds some additional educational components, which makes it a great choice for young children.

The object of the game is simple: collect different-colored acorns from the tree to fill up your tree stump. Once you have collected all five colors, you win. A spinner dictates which color acorn you get to collect. But watch out -- if you get the storm cloud all your acorns get blown back onto the tree. And if you get the sad squirrel, you lose a turn. Also beware of the thieving squirrel that allows other players to steal one of your acorns from your tree stump. If you get lucky, your spinner will land on a color, a "1", or a "2", which are the fields needed to pick acorns. The recommended age range is 3 years and up, but I played this with language-delayed third-graders and they still liked it.

Not only does this game work on counting and color-matching skills, but there are other educational aspects. The thing that really differentiates this game from Hi-Ho Cherry-O is the fine motor component: on their turn, players use the plastic squirrel tongs to pick up the acorns. This really allows them to work on their hand strength and fine motor control while playing!

I find that the pieces in this game don't get lost as easily as the cherries in Hi-Ho Cherry-O as they are a little bigger and can be easily counted during clean-up (there should be four of each color) to make sure they're all still there. The game components are also higher quality and the acorns have a rubber-y texture to them.

This would make a great game for preschool SLPs as well as Occupational Therapists! Or of course for any household with young children. I uploaded a couple of customer pictures, please take a look!
review image review image
11 comment| 177 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 5, 2012
After reading all the glowing reviews on here, I almost wonder if we are playing the same game as everyone else. I love to play boardgames and I love to play with my kids, but the fact is, there really isn't much of an actual "game" to play here.

On your turn, you spin the spinner, pick up an acorn of the matching color using the "squirrel tweezers", and then place the acorn in the matching colored hole in your cardboard stump. You turn then ends and the next player spins. If you already have blue acorn and the spinner lands on blue, you pass. The other potential results on the spinner are: lose all your acorns, steal an acorn from someone else, lose your turn, pick 1 acorn of any color, and pick 2 acorns of any color. When someone gets all 5 colors of acorns in their stump, they win.

I'll give 3-stars because the components are nice/cute and my 3&1/2 year old seems to enjoy using the squirrel tweezers. Then again, she would probably enjoy me scattering the 20 acorns around the room and her picking them up with the tweezers and putting them back in the box just as much. Sad to say, this would be a 2-star game without the tweezers to play with, even though they don't have any function other than to slow-down the process of picking up an acorn. There just isn't much of an actual game here. The only decision of any note that gets made in the entire game is who to steal an acorn from on the infrequent occasion that the spinner allows that action. Other than that, you might as well save your money and just play another round of Candyland instead.

If you want a much better matching/learning game for young kids, we started playing ZINGO at about age 3, and Zingo is actually fun for adults as well (unlike this). For even younger kids, puzzles are awesome and a great first set is one of the Melissa & Dougs "in a box" 4 pack of 12-piece wood jigsaw puzzles (we have the deluxe construction in a box and started at about age 2. There are other themes as well). At 3&1/2, my daughter has been playing with the CASTLE LOGIX blocks solo-game, and its exciting to see the gears in her brain turn as she tries to figure out how to put the 7 blocks together to match the picture. Next up will probably be KIDS OF CARCASSONNE at 4-ish. In other words, there are lots of great games for kids, but unfortunately, this is not one of them.
1919 comments| 457 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 10, 2011
My daughter (4) absolutely loves this game. I chose it because the tweezers would help strengthen her fine motor skills - she also has to be sure to pick up the acorn the correct way or she finds she can't set it on it's stump. The illustrations are lovely and there's enough "variety" on the spinner (wind blows away your acorns, sad squirrel (other player takes a acorn), sneaky squirrel, one acorn or two) to keep the game lively and constantly changing. The game is also quite durable. My daughter tried to cram the acorn into it's hole instead of setting it on top. I had to pry it out but amazingly it didn't damage the stump at all. Phew! This game is definitely going to become part of my "birthday party gift list" for other children.
0Comment| 102 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 26, 2011
This is THE cutest game I have ever played!!! It is truly a piece of art with it's beautiful illustrations and adorable high quality pieces. And it's also a very fun game. My 3 and 5 year old boys really like playing it and really enjoy using the squirrel to pick up the acorns. It's also pretty enough to give as birthday gifts - love it! Highly recommend!!
on May 26, 2014
This game purports to develop "matching, sorting, strategic thinking, hand-eye coordination, fine motor skills and pre-handwriting skills." I say they're really stretching things to make these claims.

My children (5 and 8) and I have owned this game for about two years. They enjoyed it when we first got it and requested it periodically. My son, who was 3 at the time, enjoyed it the most of course. I never enjoyed the game itself.

The problem is that there is no real thought going on in this game. You spin the spinner and pick up a matching acorn. Collect all 5 colors and win the game. There's a space that blows away your acorns and another that let's you steal an acorn. Thus it is kind of like Hi Ho Cherry-o with stealing added. I suppose this stealing mechanism is what the makers are claiming develops strategic thinking. That's a big leap. Looking around and taking a color you are missing from someone else requires very little thought. Few neurons are firing with that choice. Then there are the fine motor skill and pre-handwriting skill claims. You use this large squirrel tweezers to pick up the acorns. The manufacturers got two skill buzzwords out of that one action. However, as an elementary school teacher I don't see how the hand actions you are doing with that squirrel really translate to handwriting later on. Yes you are pinching your fingers together to hold something, but frankly the squirrel is rather unwieldy and not shaped like a pencil at all. Children would be far better served having them actually hold crayons, markers, and pencils and draw pictures with them.

If you want a game that supports color matching and has some actual beginning strategy used in gameplay buy Monza for young children instead. A slightly easier game than Monza with the same color matching skill is Hoot Owl Hoot. Either one would be much better choices for preschoolers than this one. As an added bonus you as the adult will enjoy the game as well.
on September 14, 2016
The Sneaky, Snacky Squirrel Game is the perfect first game for a toddler/preschooler. It is a wonderful game that will teach your child some important skills necessary to play board games. Your toddler will learn to wait for her turn, she will learn that sometimes we win and sometimes we lose, and that each game has rules that we need to follow in order to play.

My two year old toddler along with her seven year old sister and nine year old brother are able to play this game without fighting. Each game is the perfect duration for an active toddler and a Mom who may not have the time or patience to have to play referee for a longer game.

To play: Your child will flick the spinner and watch as the spinner stops on an image. Kids love playing with spinners! The images state whether they should pick up acorns, which color, whether the wind blows all your acorns away or whether you can be a sneaky squirrel and steal an acorn from another player. The stealing from another player always seems to bring out these cute little giggles from the player with that sneaky little squirrel. The other player, therefore needs to learn to not have a meltdown when this happens. (Trust me, with three kids I've seen my fair share of board game meltdowns.) I think that because each game doesn't take that long to play the kids know they can play more and more so that even if they don't win round one they have many other chances. Whereas, a game like Sorry that takes forever to play is their only chance at being the winner. This is definitely something I consider when purchasing board games.

I love that the acorns also make a great manipulative which you can also use for teaching math skills through a hands on way.
This game also teaches educational skills such as one on one correspondence, colors, numbers and matching. I love that my child is working on her visual perception and fine motor skills by picking up the acorns with the squirrel tongs.

Quality: I purchased this game when my 7 year old was 2... so I've had it for a good five years and it is still going strong!

Cons: Due to the shape and size of the box, it is actually sort of hard to figure out where to store this in the house. It is a bit bulky and so I normally have to lay it into a shelf that is deep enough to fit the box. I'm not sure if I'm the only one that experienced this, it seems organizing is so much easier with square/rectangular boxes.

Final Verdict: After going through thousands of toys with my three kids, I can definitely say this one is a keeper. It would make a wonderful gift for a 2, 3 or 4 year old boy or girl!
review image review image
on August 1, 2013
Because of all of the positive reviews, we purchased this game for my son's 4th birthday. The game is visually appealing, the acorns and squirrel are great quality, although the cardboard parts - tree, stumps and spinner - with regular use would probably not last long enough to make it to a garage sale.
I had really high hopes but after playing just one round of this game, my son declared it was boring and I now have to bribe him or make up my own crazy rules to get him to play it with me.
He's right though, this game is really boring. You spin the dial and either pick a colored acorn and use the squirrel tweezers to stick it in your stump, miss a turn, steal somebody else's acorns, or dump them all back in and start over because the wind has blown them away. That's it. Not very fun for adults, and according to my son, not fun for kids either.
I can see how some children would like it, but it depends heavily on their personality, motor skills and color recognition. My son would have loved this at age two but he's already mastered the skills and now he's into imaginative, active play which this game has none of.
I'm not saying the people who gave this game 5 stars are wrong, I'm just giving an alternate opinion because for some children this game will be a real crowd-pleaser and for others, it will be just as tedious for them as it is for adults.
on October 6, 2015
This comes packaged in a very sturdy tree shaped box that is also used as a game board. It is a favorite game amongst the preschool-aged children I care for. The 3 and 5 year old were able to teach the 2 year old fairly easily how to play the game.

Taking turns is not easy, and it was definitely a skill that was learned through this game. They learned matching and counting skills by collecting the correct number or the specific color acorn to the spot on the cute little tree stump. They also develop fine motor skills by spinning the spinner and picking up the acorn with the fun "squirrel squeezer" (their favorite!). Sometimes they have to skip a turn which also helps them develop good sportsmanship.

We love this game! I think It would make a good gift for either boy or girl between the ages of 3-7
review image
on October 16, 2015
This game is adorable! My daughter is almost 2 1/2 which is a little young for following the directions but I can see her quickly growing Into this game. She practiced her colors which she is still working on and loved matching the acorns color to the color on the tree trunk. She was able to use the squirrel with both hands and with one hand with help. This will be great for encouraging fine motor skills and color recognition. She begged and begged to play with this again and again which is great for her learning to take turns too as we played.
review image