Hill Climb Racing 2 Vehicles Review Best Books of the Month Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Three new members of the Echo family Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18_gno

The Sneaky Snacky Squirrel Game
Style: Game|Product Packaging: Standard Packaging|Change

on June 30, 2014
I am a school-based speech therapist and I received this game gratis from Educational Insights in exchange for an honest review.

The game play of The Sneaky Snacky Squirrel Game! follows the same principle of play as Hi-Ho-Cherry-O, but adds some additional educational components, which makes it a great choice for young children.

The object of the game is simple: collect different-colored acorns from the tree to fill up your tree stump. Once you have collected all five colors, you win. A spinner dictates which color acorn you get to collect. But watch out -- if you get the storm cloud all your acorns get blown back onto the tree. And if you get the sad squirrel, you lose a turn. Also beware of the thieving squirrel that allows other players to steal one of your acorns from your tree stump. If you get lucky, your spinner will land on a color, a "1", or a "2", which are the fields needed to pick acorns. The recommended age range is 3 years and up, but I played this with language-delayed third-graders and they still liked it.

Not only does this game work on counting and color-matching skills, but there are other educational aspects. The thing that really differentiates this game from Hi-Ho Cherry-O is the fine motor component: on their turn, players use the plastic squirrel tongs to pick up the acorns. This really allows them to work on their hand strength and fine motor control while playing!

I find that the pieces in this game don't get lost as easily as the cherries in Hi-Ho Cherry-O as they are a little bigger and can be easily counted during clean-up (there should be four of each color) to make sure they're all still there. The game components are also higher quality and the acorns have a rubber-y texture to them.

This would make a great game for preschool SLPs as well as Occupational Therapists! Or of course for any household with young children. I uploaded a couple of customer pictures, please take a look!
review imagereview image
11 comment| 296 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
VINE VOICEon September 18, 2011
I am all about games that are not only fun for my husband and I but that we can also play with our boys who are 3 and 4. Sneaky, Snacky Squirrel is one of those games. First off, the sturdy box it comes it actually acts as part of the gameboard, which is nice. There is no money to deal with or cards to read either which makes it perfect for young kids. The object of the game is to fill your log with all five colored acorns to feed the hungry squirrels in the winter!

To play the game all you do is give each player a log piece which they have to fill with five acorns, dump all the acorns in the game box and then each player takes turn spinning the spinner to see what their move should be. The spots on the spinner are relatively simple: Pick an acorn of a specific color, Pick any 1 acorn, Pick any 2 acorns, Steal an acorn from another player, Skip your turn, and Loose all your acorns. You use adorable squirrel plastic tweezers, which are very simple and perfect for little hands.

Sneaky, Snacky Squirrel is a game perfect for preschoolers to develop matching skills, develop fine motor skills, social skills of taking turns and strategic thinking skills. Kids are not only learning their colors, but learning decision making as they pick which acorn they need and learn good sportsmanship when their turn is skipped. It really is a cute game perfect for both boys and girls. My boys love the squirrel tweezers the best!
22 comments| 523 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 26, 2016
4 children and 20+ years of being a parent, cutest game I've ever seen. Not only high quality pieces, great for hand eye coordination, counting, colors, taking turns, sportsmanship. (Being happy for other players who win or have a great turn.) I honestly can not imagine why anyone would or even could give this game a bad review. Not to mention the price point it phenomenonal! $10- $15 !?! I've paid double that for a family game that consisted of just cards. FANTASTIC GAME!!! I'm headed over to buy all of the other games in the set!
on June 20, 2015
My husband and I have played this game a couple of times with our 2.5 year old daughter, and we all love it!! Sometimes she uses the squirrel tweezers, sometimes she just uses her fingers. But she understands the concept of filling your tree stump to win, taking turns, spins the spinner by herself, etc. It is colorful and wonderfully tactile (the acorns have a bit of squishy "grip" to them) and doesn't take too long, so it effectively holds my daughter's attention, and I think she enjoys the independence of having her own tree stump, spinning the spinner herself, and collecting her own stash of acorns.

I ordered the Count Your Chickens cooperative game at the same time as this, and we've also played that one. It wasn't nearly as fun. We'll try it again, but it didn't "click" the way that Sneaky Snacky Squirrel did, and was rather anticlimactic. Sneaky Snacky Squirrel is the epitome of a beginner board game, and I'm so thrilled to have a new family activity in which my 2 year old is an equal and independent player.
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on December 3, 2017
I am writing this review only five minutes after I unpackaged it from the shipping box. This game is definitely not worth buying! The box the game is packaged in is of poor quality material! The border around the edge is poorly glued on and contains wrinkles, tears, and bubbles in the paper. There is some brown staining along the edge and appears as if the person gluing on this border had dirty hands or spilled something on it. I bought it as a gift but I cannot give it. The box looks used!
Inside the box or three cardboard “tree stumps” One squirrel that has to be passed around to each player, and the little plastic acorns. I do not see this game being played more than one or two times by child. I hope I can get my money back. I am very disappointed in the quality of this product.
review imagereview imagereview imagereview image
on January 9, 2017
This game was purchased for a 5 year old with Down Syndrome in the hope that she could manipulate the acorns as fine motor practice. We didn't expect to follow the rules of the game or actually to use the spinner and squirrel shaped tweezer. However, my granddaughter quickly caught on to using the adorable tweezer to pick up acorns and deposit them into the color-coordianted circles in the cardboard logs. If she drops one, she puts it in by hand. When all the holes are correctly filled, she uses the tweezer to remove the acorns and drops them back into the box, shouting "Ta-dah" for each success. She also learned how to spin the spinner and how to take turns. This game reinforces colors, counting, fine motor practice and turn-taking and we haven't even gotten to playing by the real rules yet. This colorful, cute game could well replace Candyland as the "first" game you buy for your youngster.
on March 25, 2017
Our family has played this game for a couple years. We like it so much that we have given it as a gift twice to others! It's a great first game for kids as young as 2-3, and then I'd say it's still a fun game until they are about 6-7 or so! Great for building muscles & coordination in their little hands. It's certainly one of our favorite games!
on January 8, 2018
Cute little game. Very simple instructions. Kids can learn the five colors in the game and use fine motor skills to pick up the little acorns. Only downfall is our spinner came slightly bent and always stops on the same two spots. I hold it flat for the kids to get a good spin but there's no one to hold it flat for me so I can't win. Oh well, mom isn't supposed to win anyway, right.
on January 13, 2018
My preschooler loves this game and it is fun to play with her. We play every day and have successfully used additional games as an incentive for good behavior/potty/bed time.
She learns how to spin, improves fine motor skills by picking up nuts with the squirrel, and exercises logic muscles by planning a strategy. Great game!!
on October 26, 2017
After a few years this is still a favorite with the younger kids. It's easy to play and different. I definitely recommend. I will say the sneaky squirrel steals acorns and the wind blows them so it does cause some hardships when playing. I wish it was a little more team building. But it is good practice to be a good player no matter what. Pieces are extremely durable!
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.