Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Month Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums GNO for Samsung S9 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon westworldS2 westworldS2 westworldS2  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now Start your Baby Registry

on June 30, 2014
I am a school-based speech therapist and I received this game gratis from Educational Insights in exchange for an honest review.

The game play of The Sneaky Snacky Squirrel Game! follows the same principle of play as Hi-Ho-Cherry-O, but adds some additional educational components, which makes it a great choice for young children.

The object of the game is simple: collect different-colored acorns from the tree to fill up your tree stump. Once you have collected all five colors, you win. A spinner dictates which color acorn you get to collect. But watch out -- if you get the storm cloud all your acorns get blown back onto the tree. And if you get the sad squirrel, you lose a turn. Also beware of the thieving squirrel that allows other players to steal one of your acorns from your tree stump. If you get lucky, your spinner will land on a color, a "1", or a "2", which are the fields needed to pick acorns. The recommended age range is 3 years and up, but I played this with language-delayed third-graders and they still liked it.

Not only does this game work on counting and color-matching skills, but there are other educational aspects. The thing that really differentiates this game from Hi-Ho Cherry-O is the fine motor component: on their turn, players use the plastic squirrel tongs to pick up the acorns. This really allows them to work on their hand strength and fine motor control while playing!

I find that the pieces in this game don't get lost as easily as the cherries in Hi-Ho Cherry-O as they are a little bigger and can be easily counted during clean-up (there should be four of each color) to make sure they're all still there. The game components are also higher quality and the acorns have a rubber-y texture to them.

This would make a great game for preschool SLPs as well as Occupational Therapists! Or of course for any household with young children. I uploaded a couple of customer pictures, please take a look!
review imagereview image
11 comment| 301 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on August 16, 2016
This is such a great educational game! If you are in need of a great birthday or holiday gift, this is a MUST!!! It's not a game I had ever seen in the stores, and I hadn't heard of this company before but my 8 year old son with Autism was obsessed with the game High Ho Cherry-O used in his ABA therapy, so I was planning on purchasing that on Amazon when I came across this game. I took a chance based on the amazing reviews and SO glad I did!

My son used this game in his ABA therapy this morning and it was such a hit! This game was not only PERFECT for him but my 5 and 3 year old daughters also had a great time participating in this! The tongs are great for little hands and still quite a task for adults too.. you'll be surprised!! Seriously, even the therapist had fun lol!

The box the game comes in is unique and the artwork on the box is colorful and fun! The presentation and the feel of the game is quality.. not cheap plastic pieces made in China. It is in such a fun little package you want to open it and play it right away! I would have thought this game was worth twice of what I paid for it!! It exceeded my expectations for sure! I will definitely be purchasing more games from educational insights in the future.. for not only my kids but also for gifts!!!

If you're on the fence, GET this game for your kiddos, you won't be sorry!! It's perfect for teaching turn taking, understanding matching colors and they won't realize they are really working on perfecting those fine motor skills!! Worth EVERY penny!!!
review imagereview imagereview imagereview image
VINE VOICEon September 18, 2011
I am all about games that are not only fun for my husband and I but that we can also play with our boys who are 3 and 4. Sneaky, Snacky Squirrel is one of those games. First off, the sturdy box it comes it actually acts as part of the gameboard, which is nice. There is no money to deal with or cards to read either which makes it perfect for young kids. The object of the game is to fill your log with all five colored acorns to feed the hungry squirrels in the winter!

To play the game all you do is give each player a log piece which they have to fill with five acorns, dump all the acorns in the game box and then each player takes turn spinning the spinner to see what their move should be. The spots on the spinner are relatively simple: Pick an acorn of a specific color, Pick any 1 acorn, Pick any 2 acorns, Steal an acorn from another player, Skip your turn, and Loose all your acorns. You use adorable squirrel plastic tweezers, which are very simple and perfect for little hands.

Sneaky, Snacky Squirrel is a game perfect for preschoolers to develop matching skills, develop fine motor skills, social skills of taking turns and strategic thinking skills. Kids are not only learning their colors, but learning decision making as they pick which acorn they need and learn good sportsmanship when their turn is skipped. It really is a cute game perfect for both boys and girls. My boys love the squirrel tweezers the best!
22 comments| 525 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on May 21, 2016
I am giving this game only three stars because I think it is too simple, and is actually boring for my grandson who just turned four years old. It might be better for a three-year-old (or younger). There is not much of a game to it. You just spin the wheel, it points to a color, you pick up the acorn that matches the color on the wheel, and put the acorn in your "tree." Whoever fills the five spaces in your tree with acorns first, wins.

I think it is a cute game and would be good to teach a younger child the basics of game play: how to take turns, how to skip a turn, how to spin a wheel, and how to match colors.

We will put this game away for a few years, and will introduce it to my younger grandchild earlier than four years.

In summary: It's a cute game but not suited to even a four year old, let alone a seven year old.
on February 1, 2017
We purchased this game a couple months ago for my 3.5 year old son as his first official board game, and he loves it! I honestly don't mind playing it with him either, and it's even more fun when we get Dad to play, too. I'd love to implement weekly "Family Game Night", and I think this is a great educational game to get the kiddos involved!

Synopsis of the game:
Each player gets a cardboard "tree trunk" that has 5 little holes in it that have a color surrounding the hole. The object of the game is to get one of each color acorn to fill your tree trunk. Players take turns spinning a wheel that has 5 different colors. You can also land on some other interesting spots on the wheel :
- Sad squirrel: pass your turn
- Storm: dump all your acorns back into the "tree"
- Squirrel thief: steal an acorn from another player
- 1: pick any one acorn of your choice from the playing area
- 2: pick any two acorns of your choice from the playing area

Things I love about this game:
- Although designed for preschoolers, I don’t mind playing this game
- It reinforces color matching and recognition
- Using the squirrel grabber requires some motor skill (pinching motion)
- We practice taking turns by passing the squirrel grabber back and forth
- Winning the game is based primarily on luck and where the spinner lands; therefore, sometimes my son wins and sometimes I win. In this way, it helps teach that you can’t always win, and you can still have fun and lose the game. We always congratulate the winner when the game is over!
- There can be some optional strategy involved regarding what colors to pick and when based on what colors the other players have. I think it’s a little early for my son to learn that, but I’m thinking he’ll learn that when he’s a little older. It’s nice to know that he can keep this game for a while and still grow and learn things from it.

CONS:
The only thing I don't necessarily care for is that the acorns are small. Which means that I need to make sure all acorns are accounted for so that my 8 month old doesn't happen to find a stray one on the floor and choke! Just keep away from little babies!
on November 26, 2016
Great for game nights with young children! My family has always enjoyed board games, but with very little children in our crew we are always on the look out for games they can join in without a lot of help. This game and others by Educational Insights are our go to choices to start of family game night, they are easy to learn, quick games, that require no reading skills to play (also a plus for when grandparents join in as they won't have to strain their eyes to read game cards)and that older kids and adults won't find torturous to play. Playing these games gives little ones the chance to learn coping skills for disappointments and frustrations in a light hearted setting- being sad about losing a turn or having someone steal your acorn, but quickly realizing that you will get it back fairly quickly has helped my little ones deal with having to take turns of wait for mom a whole lot easier. I also appreciate that they are working to develop fine motor skills needed to handwriting without even realizing it! Highly recommended for board game loving families with small children!
on January 2, 2017
As a former elementary school teacher, I would highly recommend this game for ages 3 through 6. My boys (3 and 5) very much enjoy playing the game with one another and with me. The fact that they can play without me is very exciting. The game teaches colors, taking turns, sportsmanship, fine motor skills and it's just plain fun. The game is very well made, sturdy, thick cardboard and the squirrel squeezer is well made. The boys love the "sneaky squirrel" when they can steal an acorn from another player. We are practicing our losing skills each time we play this game, understanding how to lose graciously is tough and as we spin the "sad squirrel" and the "blowing wind" - we practice handling things that don't go our way and praising others for doing well. One step at a time and it's not always easy, but this is a great game for introduction of all these skills.
on January 4, 2018
Excellent game for a toddler/preschooler. I am a pediatric OT and love this game. I love that they incorporate "tongs" in the play of the game. I usually buy this for a child who is 2 1/2-3. It's usually one of their first games. The best part about this game is it holds up over time. You can easily have a 8-10 year old play and still be entertained. It is along the lines of a "Hi-Ho-Cheerio" but is better since it helps develop muscles of the hand needed for coloring, writing, and feeding.
on December 26, 2016
4 children and 20+ years of being a parent, cutest game I've ever seen. Not only high quality pieces, great for hand eye coordination, counting, colors, taking turns, sportsmanship. (Being happy for other players who win or have a great turn.) I honestly can not imagine why anyone would or even could give this game a bad review. Not to mention the price point it phenomenonal! $10- $15 !?! I've paid double that for a family game that consisted of just cards. FANTASTIC GAME!!! I'm headed over to buy all of the other games in the set!
on February 12, 2016
This game is not only cute but it's also educational, lots of fun, and easy for little ones to comprehend and play fairly independently once they know the instructions. My 5 and 4 year olds can play without my help now that we have played together a few times which is great. The game comes with 4 logs that have color coded spots for the acorns. The acorns are made out of rubber, not plastic, which makes them easier to grasp with the squirrel shaped grabber. The grabber is similar to a large set of tweezers in the way it works. It's so easy for kids to understand the spots on the wheel because they are color coded, have pictures and/or simple numbers. My kids favorite part of the game is when they get to steal each others acorns. This is a great family night game if you have smaller kids. My kids love to see who will fill up their log with acorns first that they don't even realize they're working on their colors, counting, and other skills like taking turns, patience, etc. I would highly recommend the sneaky snacky squirrel game to every family. It's one of the best games I have bought my kids ever.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.