Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Oprah's Book Club Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon counterpart counterpart counterpart  Three new members of the Echo family Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Paperwhite Game of Thrones: The Complete Seasons 1-7 now available on Blu-ray and DVD Shop now TG18SW_gno

The Sneaky Snacky Squirrel Game
Style: Game|Product Packaging: Standard Packaging|Change

on June 30, 2014
I am a school-based speech therapist and I received this game gratis from Educational Insights in exchange for an honest review.

The game play of The Sneaky Snacky Squirrel Game! follows the same principle of play as Hi-Ho-Cherry-O, but adds some additional educational components, which makes it a great choice for young children.

The object of the game is simple: collect different-colored acorns from the tree to fill up your tree stump. Once you have collected all five colors, you win. A spinner dictates which color acorn you get to collect. But watch out -- if you get the storm cloud all your acorns get blown back onto the tree. And if you get the sad squirrel, you lose a turn. Also beware of the thieving squirrel that allows other players to steal one of your acorns from your tree stump. If you get lucky, your spinner will land on a color, a "1", or a "2", which are the fields needed to pick acorns. The recommended age range is 3 years and up, but I played this with language-delayed third-graders and they still liked it.

Not only does this game work on counting and color-matching skills, but there are other educational aspects. The thing that really differentiates this game from Hi-Ho Cherry-O is the fine motor component: on their turn, players use the plastic squirrel tongs to pick up the acorns. This really allows them to work on their hand strength and fine motor control while playing!

I find that the pieces in this game don't get lost as easily as the cherries in Hi-Ho Cherry-O as they are a little bigger and can be easily counted during clean-up (there should be four of each color) to make sure they're all still there. The game components are also higher quality and the acorns have a rubber-y texture to them.

This would make a great game for preschool SLPs as well as Occupational Therapists! Or of course for any household with young children. I uploaded a couple of customer pictures, please take a look!
review imagereview image
11 comment| 297 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
VINE VOICEon September 18, 2011
I am all about games that are not only fun for my husband and I but that we can also play with our boys who are 3 and 4. Sneaky, Snacky Squirrel is one of those games. First off, the sturdy box it comes it actually acts as part of the gameboard, which is nice. There is no money to deal with or cards to read either which makes it perfect for young kids. The object of the game is to fill your log with all five colored acorns to feed the hungry squirrels in the winter!

To play the game all you do is give each player a log piece which they have to fill with five acorns, dump all the acorns in the game box and then each player takes turn spinning the spinner to see what their move should be. The spots on the spinner are relatively simple: Pick an acorn of a specific color, Pick any 1 acorn, Pick any 2 acorns, Steal an acorn from another player, Skip your turn, and Loose all your acorns. You use adorable squirrel plastic tweezers, which are very simple and perfect for little hands.

Sneaky, Snacky Squirrel is a game perfect for preschoolers to develop matching skills, develop fine motor skills, social skills of taking turns and strategic thinking skills. Kids are not only learning their colors, but learning decision making as they pick which acorn they need and learn good sportsmanship when their turn is skipped. It really is a cute game perfect for both boys and girls. My boys love the squirrel tweezers the best!
22 comments| 523 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on August 29, 2016
We do a childrens game every Christmas, and then an adult game to play after the kids go to sleep on Christmas eve. This one was so much fun for my little preschooler. He had to find the right colored acorn, and pick them up with the squirrel tweezers! Super cute game. I could see after alot of wear the box (since you play in it) would become worn down. But we have had ours for over a year and the box is still together!
on September 17, 2014
This is a game my preschooler (age 4) loves to play. He gets to practice hand-eye coordination, fine motor skills, taking turns and strategy. One round with 2 players takes about 10 minutes, 3 players increases the time to about 15 minutes. The object of the game is to get one acorn of each color in your tree stump. There are icons on the spinner for passing your turn without play, stealing an acorn from another player (Sneaky Squirrel!), removing all the acorns from your stump (Squirrel Storm!), choose 1 or 2 acorns of any color you need as well as an icon for each colored acorn. I put my youngster in charge of the Sneaky Squirrel Squeezers (aka big squirrel tweezers) for both of us. He really likes picking up the acorns with them and trying to put the acorn in the matching colored hole in the stump. The game is original and well packaged with quality materials. I would recommend it to families with children ages 3-5.

Update January 15, 2015
My son lost an acorn, no big deal unless 4 people are playing. I contacted the company, and they are going to send me a new one. Now that's customer service!
on February 18, 2017
This game is adorable and high quality. I'm continually impressed by the Educational Insights line of board games - everything they make seems to be made to last and of incredible quality not seen in the board game world anymore.

My 5 year old son immediately understood the concept of the game and loved using the squirrel to pick up the acorns and place them on his stump. The plastic squirrel is easy for little hands to hold but not awkward for an adult to hold, making the game easy for both to play with one another. Once we were done with the game, he immediately wanted to play again! He loves it!

This is definitely a cute game for kids to play with one another or with an adult. Simple concept, easy to follow instructions, quality made pieces. Educational Insights knocks another one out of the park! A++
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 26, 2016
4 children and 20+ years of being a parent, cutest game I've ever seen. Not only high quality pieces, great for hand eye coordination, counting, colors, taking turns, sportsmanship. (Being happy for other players who win or have a great turn.) I honestly can not imagine why anyone would or even could give this game a bad review. Not to mention the price point it phenomenonal! $10- $15 !?! I've paid double that for a family game that consisted of just cards. FANTASTIC GAME!!! I'm headed over to buy all of the other games in the set!
on August 26, 2017
I bought this as a present for my 4 year old nephew and he loves it. He even gets my 6 yr old and 9 yr old to play with him. It's a great way to teach kids how to deal with when things don't quite go your way as there are times a player may have to return all their pieces to the start. The little tongs to pick up the pieces can be challenging but he is surprisingly patient in trying to master the tongs.
on June 20, 2015
My husband and I have played this game a couple of times with our 2.5 year old daughter, and we all love it!! Sometimes she uses the squirrel tweezers, sometimes she just uses her fingers. But she understands the concept of filling your tree stump to win, taking turns, spins the spinner by herself, etc. It is colorful and wonderfully tactile (the acorns have a bit of squishy "grip" to them) and doesn't take too long, so it effectively holds my daughter's attention, and I think she enjoys the independence of having her own tree stump, spinning the spinner herself, and collecting her own stash of acorns.

I ordered the Count Your Chickens cooperative game at the same time as this, and we've also played that one. It wasn't nearly as fun. We'll try it again, but it didn't "click" the way that Sneaky Snacky Squirrel did, and was rather anticlimactic. Sneaky Snacky Squirrel is the epitome of a beginner board game, and I'm so thrilled to have a new family activity in which my 2 year old is an equal and independent player.
This is such a sweet little set! I bought it as a Chanukah gift for my 2.5 year old, who is able to play most of the Peaceable Kingdom games that are ages 3 and up. I kind of wish I had actually waited until he is 3, as this can sometimes be a little long for him and he is still working on the Squirrel Squeezers, but he does often ask to play this regardless. The acorns are pretty small (definitely a choking hazard if you have younger children), but because you play the game with the acorns in the box, I have not been too concerned about losing them. The Squirrel Squeezers are great fine motor practice for both my children and really help to build hand strength. I was so excited about being able to give the book and game to my toddler as a set. It's a sweet flap book and he loves helping the squirrel find the acorns. I think he loves having both a game and a book about the sneaky snacky squirrel -- the book makes the character come to life for him. This is really high quality and I'm particularly glad that it gives children some fine motor practice, but I think my kids still prefer some of the cooperative games from Peaceable Kingdom (which are also a little bit shorter to play!).
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on July 23, 2017
We play games often. This has been a great game for our family of four. Our 2 1/2 year old and our 5 year old both love it. It practices colors, taking turns, and eye/hand coordination. I am very pleased with the quality of the pieces. The spinner board was just a little warped but other than that it was perfect. The two year old can squeeze the little squirrel and pick up the nuts. He then usually uses his other hand to help get them in his container. The five year old stays interested the whole game and enjoys using the squirrel to get her pieces. The game is entertaining for even my husband and I.
I highly recommend it!

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.