Amazon Vehicles Beauty Trade in your textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Home Gift Guide Father's Day Gifts Home Gift Guide Shop Popular Services americangods americangods americangods  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com Ellen

Showing 1-10 of 20 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 25 reviews
on March 30, 2015
I have to admit that I am not a Perl aficionado. While there are things about the language that don't appeal to me (this is true of any language), the truth is that I don't really "think" in Perl. There are other languages that are more suited to my thinking process.

That said, there are times when Perl hits a "sweet spot": a) it is available on for all Linux distress; b) it integrates well in the shell environment; c) it easily replaces multiple shell-based utilities (sed, awk, bash, etc.); and there are modules to interact with the entire application stack. It is a useful tool and I needed to find a way to gain a appreciation for it.

Enter Effective Perl. I was introduced to the first edition of the book some time ago. The company that I worked for was transitioning away from Perl, but there was a lot of Perl code still in play. I had tried a number of other books and just couldn't "get it". The syntax wasn't the problem - it was the change in context. Very poorly explained in these other text. That early edition gave me enough insight to read and understand some Perl. I didn't need much as we were moving to another language at the time.

Years later, I'm doing a lot of Python code. So, why even look at Perl now? Well, Python is going through a lot of changes right now. Some tools "prefer" 2.x, while others "recommend" 3.3+. Different modules work with specific versions, etc. A lot of what I do is administrative work. I have to assume a base level of tools to being work; and I do not want to rely overly much on the shell alone. Perl, warts and all, provides the tools needed, a guaranteed presence, and an easier integration path.

This book helped me to "think" in Perl. This make it *a lot* easier to write efficient code and (more importantly) to debug the code written. Does this mean that I will give up Python (and Ruby)? Not a chance. Both are better OO based languages. (Yes, I know about Moose. I just prefer the other languages in this regard.) It *does* mean that I can safely replace a number of utilities with just one tool: Perl and like it.

Perl has some warts, but it can be an effective tool in the right circumstances. This is an excellent book to understand how to use Perl - when it is necessary to do so.
on May 26, 2012
This is the best book on Perl I have found so far. I have only finished the first 4 chapters to date (32% finished), but will for sure finish reading this book - I am learning alot, and enjoying it.

I bought this book for my Kindle, and just love the author's style. The author gets straight to the point, without alot of fluff. The topics are broken down into manageable chunks, so it is easy to read one or two when you have a few minutes. I have no issues reading it on my Kindle (unlike some computer books), the only downside to the Kindle version is that (for me) it can take longer to look up pieces of information when I want to refer to sections of the book as a reference. But, that's a Kindle issue and not anything negative against the contents of the book itself.

I love the examples in the book. The author's message is very clear, and easy to understand. Just when you think you know all of the Perl tricks, you read on and discover more. If there is a challenge in understanding an example, I can easily type it into my computer and try it for myself as the sample code snippets are quite short; however I found this is rarely needed.

I believe this book is a great way to develop smart effective Perl code - with the correct calls, the correct structure, the correct debugging, the correct packages, the correct idioms, etc. In addition, I feel this book is a great tutorial on the Perl language itself (even if you have never coded in Perl before); the author steps through the topics in a carefully designed manner, and slowly introduces the various programming constructs of Perl.

The only suggestion for improvement I have for the authors is to create exercises at the end of each chapter for users to apply some of the concepts learned. And, of course, I would appreciate answers to those exercises at the end of the book. Otherwise, it's a work of art. Thanks very much, and please continue writing more.
I had the first version of Effective Perl Programming. This new edition reflects the significant changes in Perl since then. It is much more up to date. This is welcome.

The book expresses a point of view/approach to Perl that has been very useful in thinking about how to approach specific types of problems. While it provides specific examples I think it is more about the thought process of how to approach problem solving within the context of Perl.

Others have pointed out the kindle version has many of the examples in the form of images. On my Kindle Fire HD 8.9", Dolby Audio, Dual-Band Wi-Fi, 32 GB - Includes Special Offers this does significantly diminish reading pleasure as they display quite small. The work-around I found was double tapping the image pop-up a zoomed view.

NOT ALL examples are in image format. Some are text. I strongly recommend the publisher fix this deficiency as it makes the book much less pleasant to read on backlit kindle versions.

Even so, the book is good enough in my opinion to warrant 4 stars.

I hope this helps someone.
on June 7, 2013
Effective Perl is actually for perl people you really have solid foundation on Perl and not for Beginners. If you have some gap or you are going to join for your next Perl Job, then this book should be your refreshing.

One of the best way to start learning Perl for Developement jobs, is to read the below books in order and practice on your own. Don't be baffled on the below list of books. If you want to work as a Perl Developer and be a competent Perler you need to work hard. Or otherwise, if enough Perl is required to get the Job Done for your organisation, then "Beginning Perl by James Lee - Apress" is your reference, although it will not work for production level code.

1) Sams Teach yourself Perl in 24 Hours
This gives a definite understanding of all Perl Variables and References for a Beginner. At least first 2 Parts is must reading

2) Learning Perl - Oreilly
This one is definite for Perl Basics and Idioms and with hands on Practice on the exercises to start as a real perl developer

3) Intermediate Perl - Oreilly
This one is for References, Modules and Object Oriented Programming. This book will surely take time to understand if you are new to Perl References and OOPs. But once you are through you can call yourself as a Perl Developer, but be sure to practice the exercises and don't skip it.

4) Mastering Perl - Oreilly
This one is for Typeglobs and other Advanced Perl features, but would recommend to read this book if you have worked atleast on 2 Perl Projects.

5) Effective Perl
This one is only Refresher if there is some gap for your next Perl Project, and that's why I gave 4 stars, but it's a good read ( if you have time ) and it helps to improve your code and you will learn some new perl tricks.
on June 2, 2010
I don't own the first edition, so I can't compare the two editions. I did read a review of the 1st edition that talked about how densely populated it was for a small book, well that certainly is the case for the 2nd edition. With 12 years of Perl growth since the 1st edition, there is a lot more density added to the book. It is not, as the authors state, the definitive guide on Perl, but it is well worth owning and covers a lot of topics (including Perl 5.12) in small concise sections or "Items" that end with a "Things To Remember" section which is a list of key points that the reader should "remember". I highly recommend this book for any perl programmer, even though it is geared towards the intermediate to advanced Perl programmer. I also recommend checking out the book's website (effectiveperlprogramming dot com), which states "The Effective Perler is the online extension of the Effective Perl Programming, 2nd Edition." I try to visit the website every couple of days, it has more informative "Items" that did not make it into the book. It's worth a visit and there are fairly consistent posts.
on September 21, 2013
I don't think this book is very useful for a beginner to perl programming as I think some of the details in how the language work are not as thoroughly covered in other books like Learning Perl. However, for an intermediate perl programmer, this book is fantastic. After working with perl for a couple months, I read through this book and learned much more elegant and idiomatic ways of coding the same things I was before, along with some nice tips and tricks for making my programs a little more efficient, manageable, and easier to read. I really enjoyed reading through this, and would highly recommend it to anyone who's got a basic knowledge of perl programming and would like to refine that knowledge a bit more.
on January 13, 2015
As a novice-to-intermediate learner of Perl, this is the first Perl book I've wanted to read cover-to-cover. Chapter 1 was glorious and chapter 2 is looking good. I'm a programming newbie in general, so often my code becomes messy, and this is helping me shorten down my code to more idiomatic Perl.

If you are an intermediate learner or need to catch up with developments in 5.10+, I think you'll like this book.

Some people noted that the code bits are display in a too small font on portable devices, and that's true. But it reads fine in Kindle on a computer, and my 5/5 rating is based on the actual book's content, with no deductions made for Amazon's lazy failure to publish files in readable formats.
on August 10, 2010
Having purchased the first edition many years ago, I've found it probably the most useful Perl book I ever had - one of those that Internet somehow couldn't manage to replace. It showed how to think in Perl, often tackling problems in ways not possible in other languages. This book is an excellent sequel that I'd consider a must-have for any Perl developer. I routinely check almost every Perl book that comes out, and this is probably one in a dozen I've seen lately that could teach me something about the language itself. There couldn't be a better indication that Perl is alive and kicking.
on September 5, 2016
Very good book

I really like the book style, explaining Perl deeply in small piecemeal item
This style in my opinion makes it a perfect second book on Perl

I wish there were books like this for every other language I learn
on July 26, 2010
I have the first edition and have referenced it often in my journey working with Perl. This new edition is totally awesome! It really rocks! The comments that it has new material is true and it is great. But what really impresses me and makes this, in my opinion, a "must have" in your Perl library is that the original material has been so well recrafted...subtly and not with a lot of glitz...but ever so wonderfully. I've now read iti from cover to cover twice...it was a delight. And I've trully learned an unbelievable amount of things that never made sense to me in the past. Thumbs up...TWO thumbs up!