Industrial Deals HPC Magazine Deals Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New album by Garth Brooks PCB for Musical Instruments Limited time offer Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Holiday Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite Shop now HTL17_gno

on November 12, 2013
I was enthralled by Into Thin Air and enjoy Jon Krakauer's writing style. The reviews on Eiger Dreams were very good and I love being an armchair mountain climber, so I thought I would give Eiger Dreams a try. Unfortunately I found this collection of stores just so-so. Many of the stories include name-dropping of various famous climbers, which meant nothing to me since I am not a member of the climbing community. Same with some of the famous climbs and routes-as an outsider I just couldn't appreciate them. This book would probably be much more enjoyable to a knowledgeable climbing enthusiast.
on July 29, 2017
Not as elegant as Into Thin Air and the Chris McCandless story, and a number of typo's here and there, but still enjoyable for covering a good many categories and characters related to the climbing sport.
on August 4, 2011
This book is a collection of short articles in which Krakauer recounts his own climbing adventures and the adventures of other climbers. The subject is very exciting. In one story Krakauer tells the story of climbers marching head-on into delirium and exhaustion to reach the summit of K2. In another we learn of a legend who can scale vertical walls with handholds no larger than the heads of bolts. Additionally, Krakauer himself is an interesting character. I was both inspired with awe and impressed with his humility by his recollection of a solo climb he did on the Devil's Thumb. "On Being Tentbound" will resonate with anyone who has spent time on a mountain.

Unfortunately, Krakauer's prose often falls flat. The chapter "A Bad Summer on K2" feels like a series of accident reports. "Canyoneering" often reads like a geology textbook. In Eiger Dreams, Krakauer does not display much talent in writing action scenes. Some authors can weave sentence structure and word choice together with action to make for a very exciting read. Krakauer is not one of them. Whether he is detailing the shape of a climbing axe, or describing someone sliding to their death, his voice stays the same.

Ultimately, Eiger Dreams is saved by the fact that the subject is exciting and that Krakauer has first hand knowledge of it. This is an enjoyable book that will resonate strongly with anyone who has spent time in a survival situation.
on February 22, 2014
What compels someone to undertake an endeavor in which death is a likely outcome? What perverse thrill impels someone to climb a sheer vertical wall of rock? To face sudden storms, blistering walls of wind and ice, conditions where you are not sure if you are awake or dreaming, where a sudden misstep might plunge you down a bottomless crevasse never to be heard from again? Jon Krakauer takes you on such an amazing journey onto some of the most inhospitable and yet sublimely beautiful places on Earth. His intensely crackling descriptions of not just the otherworldly locations, but the mind sets of those who set out to brave these places makes for a spectacularly riveting read. Highly recommended.
on September 10, 2017
Jon Krakauer seems to have the ability to make it feel as if you are there in the freezing smelly tent weathering out the storm with him.
on September 30, 2017
Tales completely out of my comfort zone. Completely. Yet, from page 1, I was utterly transported to some other universe. Jon Krakauer is such a readable author. The mountain/glacier climbs and people described in Eiger Dreams were amazing and the author's own climbing experiences were icing on the glacier, so to speak. This book had me at page 1 and I could hardly put it down. Thank you for such a spell-binding read!
on March 9, 2013
I liked Joh Krakauer's Into Thin Air ... 5 star so much I bought his Eiger Dreams. Joh Krakauer is a very good author.

Eiger dreams is 189 pages of good short stories about mountaineering and adventure. The book read well, kept the readers attention, some stress and excitement. No boring parts. I read it in 2 days.

We see twelve short stories of different people including at times Joh Krakauer planning and climbing different mountains, and smaller steep difficult climbs. Many of these people I never heard about but were legends in their different climbing practices like ice walls, waterfalls, steep pinnacles, 8000M peaks like K2 and Everest and more. A wide assortment of different climbing.

This is a good book for those wanting to read mountaineering adventure but don't have too much time. The reader can read a short story put the book down and come right back to a new and completely different adventure.

Into Thin Air INMO was little better but Eiger Dreams still a good book and proudly added to our family library. 4 1/3 stars
on November 3, 2013
My first introduction to Krakauer's writing was with his books "Into the Wild" and "Into Thin Air." So, I haven't followed his journalism career closely. This book is a collection of several works he's written for magazines, except for the last story, "The Devil's Thumb," his account of the solo attempt on the Alaskan peak which Krakauer wrote specifically for this book.

The collection runs from the semi-humorous ("Eiger Dreams") to the serious ("A Bad Summer on K2"). What I love most, however, is the length of the stories. Long enough to whet my appetite on climbing adventure tales, but not a huge commitment to an entire novel. Plus, Krakauer shines in the article medium.

All in all, I love this read and will re-read several of the stories again.
on January 11, 2013
This book isn't just about climbing a mountain. It covers alpine climbing, rock climbing, history of some of the more famous mountains, among other things. Each topic has a chapter dedicated to it. One or two of the chapters read a little slowly, but most were a lot of fun to read. My favorite was the first chapter - Eiger Dreams - because my wife and I have been there (years later, obviously). I read it maybe a year before my wife and I went on our honeymoon. Then on our honeymoon, which we spent six days of in Switzerland, we took the train up to Jungraujoch near the Eiger North Face, which is what they were climbing. When we got back to the hotel in Grindelwald that night, I re-read the chapter and thought how interesting it was that we were just in the train/tunnel that the author mentioned in that chapter. If you're a climber or if climbing and the mountains fascinate you, this is a good read.
on March 23, 2015
Not the best of books by Krakauer but still a very good compilation of short stories dealing with climbing and climbers. I enjoyed how he intertwined his own experiences into some of the stories with modesty and humility. The stories give meaning to many aspects of the lives and deaths of climbers and sort of builds to the last extremely well written true telling of a his lonely success against very long odds. Krakauer writes with an easy style that holds the reader's interest. I have read most of his books and am eagerly awaiting his next publication.