The Eiger Sanction
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Top Customer Reviews
With tongue firmly in cheek, let me say that the other reviewers of this movie have got it all wrong. "The Eiger Sanction" has got to be one of the all-time great "guy" films (I refer you to the "Big Damn Book of Sheer Manliness" here on Amazon.com for more information on those two). Yes, for Saturday-night-with-the-boys viewing, this is one of the classics. Here are ten reasons why:
1. Clint the Glint...need I say more?
2. Incredibly realistic mountain-climbing footage, from Southern Utah to the Swiss Alps, all shot on location, with none of the ridiculous fakery found in farces such as "Cliffhanger".
3. A plot that makes James Bond seem believable, starting with a combination art expert/mountain climber/CIA assassin and going forward from there.
4. Fantastic scenery shots, including George Kennedy and Clint on top of a sandstone pinnacle (I'm sure George really climbed it...yeah, right).
5. A cool resort compound (actually filmed at the lodge in Zion National Park, Utah).
6. Well-timed 70s nudity (in other words, totally unnecessary).
7. An albino (!) "establishment" guy, (CIA leader) and his wonderfully despicable sidekick, just waiting for Clint to kick around.
8. Astounding political incorrectness, including a character named "Jemimah Brown", another one known simply as "Buns", and much, much more.
9. Fantastically quotable manly lines, for example "Assassins get assassinated, and that ain't in my game plan", or "There's a twenty on the dresser by the bed", etc., etc., etc.
10. Clint even glints at a little dog...really!
I could go on and on.
All kidding aside, I love this movie! Just don't plan on taking it too seriously.
I'm not completely sure of this, but I believe that this movie was also Clint Eastwood's directorial debut. He not only stars in it, but he produced and directed it as well!
Ah, the glorious 70's! The clothing, the hairstyles, the attitudes towards women, etc. It is quite fun to watch and chuckle at now. Hemlock is a kind of James Bond-ian super hero. Remarkably gifted not only at killing bad guys but also at bedding beautiful women, enjoying fine wine and food, and being an art expert. The story ofen requires you to suspend your sense of reality and to have a bit of a sense of humor. If you enjoy these kinds of thrillers, you'll definitely enjoy this one.
What sets this movie apart for me is the many climbing sequences! I am an avid climber and I know of no other 'Hollywood' movie that does as good a job as this one at showing real mountain climbing. The climbing scenes in the 'Eiger Sanction' are breathtaking and quite realistic. The scenes on the Eiger were actually filmed on location on the Eiger Nordwand itself! Remarkable! Apparently Clint is/was a bit of a climber himself, and took great pains to portray the climbing in as realistic a light as possible. Three cheers for Clint!Read more ›
An American courier has been killed in Copenhagen, and he happened to an old friend of professor Jonathan Hemlock (Eastwood), who is seduced back into harms way by "Control", an albino ex-Nazi who now heads one of our most clandestine federal agencies. Before long Hemlock is on his way to sanction one of the two assailants, and the chase is on. By dint of coincidence, Control discovers that the other assailant is included in an international mountaineering party, which will assault Switzerland's "Eiger" the coming summer. Naturally, Hemlock is manipulated into preparing for the climb as a replacement climber.
Once we finally make it to the mountain, the action is literally non-stop, quite accurate technically, and absolutely riveting to behold. As with previous sequences shot in the American southwest, the cinematography is superior, and the plot unfolds in a quite plausible and inevitably tragic fashion with no one necessarily spared as the frenzy reaches its natural conclusion. This is a terrific action film, with a great supporting cast that includes George Kennedy, Jack Cassidy, and bodybuilder Dan Howard in a bit role.
This is great entertainment, and illustrates why Eastwood has been such a consistent box office draw for over forty years. Enjoy!
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Clint Eastwood in one of his rolls that has nothing to do with his Dirty Harry character. Meek mild school teacher is really hot man for our gov. Read morePublished 19 days ago by DEBRA D. JEAKINS
The landscapes are gorgeous. The climbing scenes are tense and enjoyable, and the climax was pretty much perfect. Read morePublished 20 days ago by Lily Jones
An what's not to like Clint in another believable roll with quality actors actresses and beautiful scenery ...Published 1 month ago by Man of Carbon
Doing class on Clint Eastwood and his films. Eiger Sanction has wonderful photography, mountain climbing scenes are great in Monument Valley & Switzerland. Read morePublished 1 month ago by rjm
I thought the movie was really good. The climbing scenes are excellent and the the movie includes an excellent cast. Read morePublished 1 month ago by JG
NOT Clint Eastwood's best movie. It's watchable, but only barely.Published 1 month ago by Caroline Tice
Set up an Amazon Giveaway
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Look for Similar Items by Category
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Action & Adventure
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Mystery & Thrillers
- Movies & TV > Movies
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Universal Studios Home Entertainment > Action & Adventure
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Universal Studios Home Entertainment > All Universal Studios Titles
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Universal Studios Home Entertainment > Classics