Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Wonder Woman now available on Blu-ray, 3D, and 4K Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 91 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 202 reviews
on May 30, 2016
Let me start by saying that is impossible for me not to like a vampire story. Regardless, this one let me wishing the author would take more time developing the characters.
Other reviewers mentioned that the plot and characters are not relatable but it is ok because the book was written for a younger audience. I respectfully disagree. Harry Potter, City of Bones and even Twilight were written for younger audience and you can relate to the characters. The main problem here is that Vlad is a boy who talks and thinks like a girl.(stop here if you do not want spoilers)

I cannot possibly imagine a 14 year old boy begging his uncle to stay. Or crying a lot. In front of people... His relationship with his aunt is so perfect it seems unrealistic. Not to mention that upwards the end all his vampire enemies will stay away because he as one device that can produce a light beam that can kill them. It would be like saying that Vokdermort would stay away because Harry got a gun.
However, it is always refreshing to see authors come up with solutions for the vampire morphology such as sun block.

I am giving 3 starts because I want to see how she develops Vlad universe and if the writing gets better as he gets older.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 26, 2016
Let's start off with the fact that this is my second time I personally have purchased this book. I am currently 23 years old and am about to graduate medical school. This is one of my favorite middle school book. It is about a middle school aged vampire who is trying to get through eighth grade without anyone figuring out what he is. His best friend Henry knows what Vladimir is and is one of the most interesting character in the book. Henry (while being kind of a side kick to Vladimir) is one of the most relatable characters in the book for me, because of how dorky and goofy he is. He is definitely a comic relief in this book full of twist and turns.
I am currently rereading this whole series while on vacation from school. It's the perfect book to start your children's book collection.
The only reason why I am giving it a 4/5 starts is because I am a hardcover book lover and this particular book does not come in hardcover.
To summerise my review: this book is a must read, right up there next to Harry Potter.
on March 25, 2016
I read the book because of a specific reading challenge that calls for me to read a book recommended by someone I just met. While playing for the local college musical a student musician recommended the series. As it was a young adult series and I am a woman in her 40's, I was not expecting much. But happily, I was wrong. The descriptions are vivid, the characters well developed and multi-faceted. . . I have other categories to deal with for the rest of the reading challenge but I just might have to check out the rest of the series!!
on September 11, 2017
Vladimir is a typical 8th grader, getting picked on by the bigger kids and crushing on one of the class sweethearts. but he has one tiny difference; it's in the blood you could say. and someone out there wants very much to kill him for it.
on April 11, 2013
Don't waste your time reading this book series.

the story follows the adventures of a teenage vampire semi-humorously exploring the problems that a real life vampire would experience trying to live in a human world while also adding the stresses of the vampire world and orphan living with aunt life to give the story a sort of "Harry Potter" feel. This was a good (if typical) balance and I would have been happy enough to enjoy seeing the world through a vampires eyes, if it wasn't for everything else.

The villain (whom you assume is the main villain but --spoiler-- isn't) is flat. actually, all the villains are flat. there is no method to their madness beyond "we want power". Why do you want power? what are your thoughts on living forever? does material wealth bring happiness? I've seen power ranger side-villains with more depth. Also, in the last book (major spoilers here but you shouldn't bother with this book anyway so here goes) all but one of the good guys turns evil. just completely randomly. I LOVE plot twists, but only when I can look back and see why this twist would happen. this twist DESTROYS all character development of LOADS of side characters.

then there's his hunter-friend. this highly trained shut-in who is trained to hunt creatures who hide among humans, blending in perfectly with the host society. why did he decide to be best friends with the kid who is obviously a vampire? aren't there tests that you perform to see who is or isn't a vampire BEFORE you tell them your deepest secrets? also, vlad goes on and on about how deeply indoctrinated his friend is; by this evil vampire killing organization. Did you forget that most vampires KILL PEOPLE FOR FOOD!?! in one book, vlad takes pity on his uncle and says "Go eat a hobo. you've been holding back for a long time." and his uncle gratefully "Takes care of the city's homeless problem." that is the most evil thing I have ever heard! vlad is supposed to be a good guy. if vlad's a good guy, we need more "brainwashed" teenagers sticking stakes in "good people".

the romantic build up gets flushed (seemingly on a whim) so that vlad can get with a subservient star-eyed goth and the whole mood swings up and down from "why is everyone so mean? why can't we all get along?" to "Be a dear Kill some of those lesser beings, would you?" and back again.

this series bites
on April 20, 2013
My reluctant reader - who used to only read non-fiction picked this up and LOVED it! A little choppy, and maybe as a first book it felt a little like it was written down to her audience, but this author really scores with her sarcastic humor and dark themes. The rest in the series get better and I have made gifts of these books to other middle school aged family members, who also adored them, sometimes to the chagrin of their parents, who often caught them staying up until all hours on a school night just trying to find out what happens next.
on January 6, 2016
This is terrifically well-written, suspenseful, and funny. Brewer has a great ear for teen voices and anxieties. I don't think I've ever laughed at the words "sulfuric acid" quite so much. I'm glad to know there are sequels, and I can't wait for a taste of those.
on February 28, 2016
Good book, now that I'm older (20) it's not as good as I thought it was in HS
on January 24, 2014
I understand that many people would frown upon the fact that a vampire is eating food with his blood, but I simply loved it! I mean, c'mon! You need to keep an open mind! If you're one of those "SO-CALLED" Vampyre fanatics and were ticked because the kid ate human food... blow it out your blow-hole! Ha ha ha! Couldn't put this book down. I have all the other ones aswell! Thank You GoodWill!!! 4 books, 4 bones! Loved this book! No matter what other critics may say!
on August 15, 2013
This book not only covers vampires, but also teen problems, loss of parents, standing out, bullying. The author does a great job getting readers to identify with Vlad, a victim of bullying. She also makes it clear that each of us has something that makes us special, unique, and a gift to those around us. I'd highly recommend this book for middle school students, especially those dealing with bullying.