Truck Reviews Beauty Warlight Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Kids Edition Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

on September 25, 2012
I've used Keurigs for about 7 years (before home models were being made) and reusable filter for 2 years). Here's what you need to know:

USE REUSABLES
These are better than disposables for a few reasons:
1. can get the coffee and/or blend of your choice - not limited to what comes in k-cups
2. costs much less per cup
3. less waste created / environmentally friendly
4. downside is inconvenience, but see HOW TO USE below for lessons learned from a veteran

WHICH ONE TO GET
Ekobrew is the best design. I've used solofill, Keurig's my k-cup, and ekobrew. All work ok but:

1. My Kcup has more parts to clean, leaked more grinds into the coffee too.

2. Solofill is good but not quite as good as ekobrew. Side walls and water distributor on ekobrew is better. And with the flat bottom, the ekobrew is easier to clean. Coffee grinds get annoyingly stuck in the bottom of the solofill, whereas the Ekobrew can be rinsed out in one shot. Solofill is probably fine if you make one cup a day and put it in the dishwasher. But I make a bunch and the inconvenience of the solofill cleaning was enough to make me prefer the disposables over it.

3. Ekobrew got the whole thing right. Side walls allow you to fill 2/3 with coffee and make an ideal brew - water has room to mix with the coffee. The water distributes very well through the perforated funnel on top. And cleaning is easy (see how to clean #5).

HOW TO USE - FOR CONVENIENCE AND GOOD COFFEE
This is actually really important. Until I got it down to a system by trial and error to have it (1) not take much extra time compared to a disposable and (2) tasting good (not weak), I kept going back and forth on using these vs. disposables for the convenience factor. But with these steps I am fully converted to using the reusables.

1. Put your ground coffee in a Tupperware container. I like something that will hold about a bag of coffee and is relatively deep (not wide and short) so it's easy to scoop out of it. This make it very convenient to scoop 2/3 of a container full of coffee, shake the extra back into the container. Keep it air tight in the cabinet with your mugs (or in the refrigerator). Much more convenient than trying to scoop from a bag or than using a spoon to scoop into the cup.

2. Blend your coffee if you like. If you're like me and drink lots of cups a day, using the tupperware method (1 above) allows very easy mixing. I pour half a bag of decaf and caffeinated each into the container and shake well. Use a somewhat stronger blend than you might otherwise get since Keurig brews fast I do find the final flavor is less strong than if you got the same at Starbucks for instance.

3. Scoop 2/3 of the ekobrew with coffee. You want the coffee just above the bottom of the sidewall so water won't seep out without going through the coffee, but not too high that there's no room for the coffee to push thru (it will leak out and around the sides then). Make sure your ekobrew is completely dry, and then you can scoop with it directly and not try to spoon it in). Wipe off the sides back into the tupperware and close.

4. Brew like a normal k-cup.

5. Cleaning. This is really important to keep it from being inconvenient and took a while to work out.
a. Do this right after brewing - do not let the grinds sit in the ekobrew or they will harden and be more difficult to clean out
b. Pick the ekobrew up by the top sides (not hot there) and you can walk it over to the sink over your brewed coffee so it doesn't drip on the counter / floor
c. Open the top and hold it upside down directly over the drain and low (so the grinds don't spread all over the place)
d. Rinse through the bottom with cold water, with the cup upside down. All the grinds should come out in one quick shot and go right down the drain
e. Shake and set to dry.

6. Have more than one of these if you like several cups a day. You have to wait until they are completely dry to reuse or else the scooping method (#3) won't work.

Using these steps above, I've completely replaced the disposables without it being materially less convenient. I get the coffee of my choice and its much less expensive, and there's no waste.

Enjoy!
246 people found this helpful
|66 comments|Report abuse
on February 13, 2018
I haven't come across one of these that I truly find a viable alternative to K-Cups. I'm assuming that the way coffee is ground, there is some residual ultra finely graded coffee that remains until coffee is brewed. Unfortunately, the coffee "dust" turns to a sludge type at the bottom of your cup. In this model, there is less than the Ekobrew that I purchased about four years ago. As an environmentalist, the bit of chocolate syrup at the bottom of my cup doesn't bother me that much. However, I don't think this is a particularly hard problem to solve. I'm hard pressed to find a paper filter that won't impede the water flow to an extent that it damages the Keurig. Overall, it's a great alternative to throwing tons of plastic into a landfill and a great way to save money by purchasing bagged coffee at the small cost of having a little bit of coffee that I won't drink at the bottom of my cup.
3 people found this helpful
on January 7, 2018
This WILL work for the B30 machine but you REALLY have to push down the lid with a little force after you insert the filter. It will take a little practice and frustrations before getting it right, I promise you'll get it working. By the way, make sure you insert the filter upside down with the orange arrow upwards. This will prevent ANY drips from forming on top after brewing. Nothing major, but if you're like me who's anal about small drips, this helps. Other than that, this didn't burst, leak or anything. Gave me a clean brew. Clean up is easy. Only takes a few bangs and boom, grinds are in the trash. Only needs rinsing. Holds more coffee too than the My K-Cup. Only thing that might bother people is that it does leave a lot of sludge in your cup so you might need to buy or make your own small paper filters. I am also a French press drinker so I don't mind and if you're also a French press drinker, this should be fine. : ) So to conclude, give the lid a little force and buy paper filters if the sludge bothers you and you're all set and caffeinated! I am IN LOVE with this filter! Much better than My K-Cup.
on July 13, 2017
I purchased a number of the Ekobrew pods for myself and a friend. They worked very well, and we liked them. I ordered a couple of extra for myself, to reduce the need to empty, clean, and refill right away. But I was disappointed.
The original brown Ekobrew pods worked very well. The newer purple Ekobrew pods, however, are very frustrating. Set up to work with the newer Keurig 2.0 system, with a "label" on top of the pod, they do NOT work well with my older B60 Keurig. I insert the pod, press the lever down to close the lid, release the lever ... and the Keurig brew lights go back to solid as the lid lifts slightly. The only way I can brew a cup of coffee in my older Keurig with the newer purple Ekobrew pods is to stand there holding the Keurig's lever down during the entire brewing cycle. Not difficult ... but very annoying.
One of my Ekobrews recently lost its o-ring, Given the frustration with these, I decided to spend the extra money and buy the stainless steel Ekobrew pods. I bought a couple for my friend a few years ago, and she loved them.
But they don't make that style anymore. They still make a stainless steel pod, but it no longer has the diffuser cone in the lid of the pod. I decided to pass on that. I'm starting to use my pour-over units more and more.
on December 7, 2011
Once upon a time...I thought I would try to cut down a bit on the cost per cup when using my Keurig brewer. Don't get me wrong, we all have our favorite coffees and if you shop around, you can find some good deals...but it still costs. K-cups still are much more expensive than using your favorite variety in a refillable cup. The refillable cup from Keurig, while functional and effective, still is a bit of a hassle with all the separate parts. Gee, can't someone just provide a single-piece cup that does the same job and also is easier to clean?

But alas...There are two pretty similar one-piece refillable cups: Ekobrew and Solofill. Because the price was similar and because I wanted a couple of these little critters anyway, I decided to test out one of each. Both do a reasonably good job of quickly brewing a decent cup of ground coffee. Once you get used to the max. fill lines in each cup, you can have some control over the actual strength of the coffee you brew. To be fair, I used two different varieties from my local market. I also used both the Ekobrew and the Solofill on the same coffee variety at the same time and filled each to its respective max. fill line. In this experiment, the results were almost identical - both refillable cups did a great job, and both brewed very fast. As for taste, it was not like drinking colored water, but it also was not like buying a cup at your local (and quite expensive) coffee emporium. Just add coffee to taste. That said, it was on to the clean-up.

My nod (no, I was not nodding off) goes to the Ekobrew for perhaps two small points. First, unlike the Solofill, the Ekobrew has a flat bottom. This is helpful if you have to set the cup down for a moment (and yes, my Mommy did teach me to put the lid down, so this may be a very fine point to pick). Second, in the washing out department, though, the Ekobrew cleans right up. The little extension at the bottom of the Solofill tended to gather (and stubbornly hold) coffee grounds more so than the Ekobrew. It almost gave me nightmares about how much the grounds would cling to every little nook in the refillable cup from Keurig! Yikes!

Nuts I am you say? Maybe so, but if you are looking to hold down the cost of quickly brewed coffee from you Keuirg-style brewer, and you don't want to get dreaded dishpan hands from the cleaning chore, then NO, don't leave it in the sink for your spouse/partner to clean up. With the purchase cost about equal, just get the one that is easier to use. For me, it is the Ekobrew by just a few grounds.

Trust me though, at the end of the day, both the Ekobrew and the Solofill will live happily ever after at my house. The End...
17 people found this helpful
on March 3, 2018
When I first got my Keurig 5 years ago, my husband bought me one of these filters, since I am sort of a coffee snob. In that time I have had just two of these, only needing to toss them because they were inserted backward, resulting in a sharp hole. I have been using some off brand ones since I could not find the ekobrew in stores, and I thought my Keurig was broken. They did not brew a complete cup and frequently caused the machine to need descaling...like every other brew. I thought about purchasing a stainless steel one made by Keurig, but then I saw these and had to buy one. The price is great, and most importantly, they work! It is so nice to be able to brew a real cup of coffee and not worry that my machine is on its last leg. I will be buying a few more of these today! Ekobrew Classic Reusable Filter, Keurig 1.0 and 2.0 Compatible - Orange
on September 16, 2012
I love my Keurig B40 coffee maker. The idea of a fresh cup of coffee every time (that isn't instant) appeals to me. For 2 years I've been using the K-cups that can be purchased at W(largest bricks-and-mortar retailer) for about $.65 a cup. But with my 4-5 cups-a-day level of enjoyment (some may call it a habit), I've been spending nearly $1100 a year just on coffee. I've been enjoying the coffee so much though that I've dragged my feet on getting a calculator to it. Anyway, somehow I stumbled on the Ekobrew Cup on Amazon recently, and thought what the hey, how could almost 2000 user reviews be wrong, so ordered one along with a carton of DisposaCup filters. While waiting for their arrival I grabbed some packages of Starbucks and Dunkin' at the local W.

I should have done this 1.9 years ago. While I've only just barely been able to find a K-cup that is rich enough for my liking (Green Mountain Sumatran Reserve came closest), that will no longer be an issue for me. Using either the Starbucks Expresso Roast or the Dunkin' Dark, spooning the coffee up to the Ekobrew's fill line gives me a much richer cup of coffee than I've been able to produce from any of the many many K-cups I've tried. And while I've only had about 40 or so cups through the Ekobrew so far, it looks as if I'll be cutting my coffee expenditure by about 75%. And that's while using PREMIUM brands of ground coffee. Not using the Disposacup filters, I find just a few very fine solid coffee particles in the bottom of my empty cup, which I don't find offensive at all. While using the filters does eliminate even these particles, it also eliminates much of the rich flavor of my brew even when I've packed as much ground coffee as I can into it and use the smallest water volume my B40 will allow. So I've chucked the DisposaCups into the tall round bin.

As far as the mechanics of the thing go, yes it can be a little messier than using the K-cups. After brewing a cup, I immediately remove the Ekobrew from the Keurig, dump the contents into the garbage disposal, then let it dry in the dish drainer after a thorough rinse. In making the brew, I just spoon the coffee into the Ekobrew to the fill line (for my personal taste), scoot any errant particles off of the rim, then insert it into the B40 making sure the little ears on the Ekobrew are exactly at the 9 and 3 o'clock positions. It's very simple and easy to do. I've yet to have any of the messy spillovers that will occasionally happen with the K-cups if you forget to shake them.

So I couldn't be happier with the Ekobrew Cup. Better coffee at 25% of the K-cup price. What's not to love?
5 people found this helpful
on November 12, 2017
This works (almost) as good as my Ekobrew stainless steel. I don't think that I will get near the usage. My stainess is going on its third year of everyday usage. Be careful when purchasing other brands. Many units only have a hole in the bottom. Without the additional screens on the sides, the coffee comes out slow and it is weaker compared to this one. It seems that Ekobrew doesn't make the stainless steel units any longer (too bad, they are awesome).
on April 21, 2016
I purchased this after I was gifted a Keurig during Christmas. Keurig cups are expensive, plus I consider them pretty wasteful.
I was (and still am) pretty happy with this product. It is very easy to use and easy to clean. You simply fill the cup with the ground coffee of your choice, then stick in the Keurig like you would a regular K-Cup. Run the Keurig cycle like you normally would... and you've got a good cup of coffee within 3 minutes.
My only complaint is that - over time, the top is more difficult to close and seal correctly. This has unfortunately resulted in coffee grounds getting in some of my cups of coffee. But I have owned the same one for over a year, so it lasted quite a while before starting to do that. And now I double check the top to make sure it is sealed before brewing my coffee. It still works well - it just requires me to take an extra step I didn't have to do before. I am still satisfied with this product and the fact that it allows me to safe money and have less trash waste.
Thanks!
on October 6, 2013
I was given a Keurig as a gift, which was very thoughtful, but I had been resisting buying one myself for years because I just didn't think any responsible person should produce that much waste just for the sake of convenience. And besides, I am very fussy about my coffee and I knew that organic, fair-trade coffee as dark and rich as I want it would simply not be available in boxed k-cups.

So I was thrilled to find the reusable Ekobrew cup, and though it seemed pricey at the time, I have to say I am very happy with it and have already got far more than got my money's worth out of it. I can use my own favorite coffees, I can pack a little extra coffee into it so that I can make it as strong as I prefer. Also, at 2 cups of coffee per day, that's over 700 disposable k-cups I have not chunked into a landfill in the past year.

There was just one problem: I was never able to get all the grounds out of the cup, no matter how hard I whacked it on the bottom, and ended up having to rinse a lot of coffee grounds down the drain, which is NOT good for a septic system. Over time, that little bit of grounds twice a day could really add up. This is the solution! I am able to put the used filters, grounds and all, straight into the compost (the filters are biodegradable) and then with a simple rinse I'm ready to brew again. Great mess saver and septic saver, too!

Note: I have also recently purchased a 4-pack of Solofill cups at the price I had paid for just one Ekobrew, and felt it was a great bargain, but I have to say that the Solofill cups are not nearly the same quality: they do not snap shut as securely with the paper filter in place, and seem rather flimsy. I would not expect one to last a year with daily use. OTOH it IS nice to have the red reusable cups, to alert people NOT to toss them in the trash (I've had guests bring their own K-cups to my house and try to throw away my Ekobrew a time or two, not realizing it was not disposable.)
2 people found this helpful