Industrial Deals Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 3,265 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 3,637 reviews
on September 25, 2012
I've used Keurigs for about 7 years (before home models were being made) and reusable filter for 2 years). Here's what you need to know:

USE REUSABLES
These are better than disposables for a few reasons:
1. can get the coffee and/or blend of your choice - not limited to what comes in k-cups
2. costs much less per cup
3. less waste created / environmentally friendly
4. downside is inconvenience, but see HOW TO USE below for lessons learned from a veteran

WHICH ONE TO GET
Ekobrew is the best design. I've used solofill, Keurig's my k-cup, and ekobrew. All work ok but:

1. My Kcup has more parts to clean, leaked more grinds into the coffee too.

2. Solofill is good but not quite as good as ekobrew. Side walls and water distributor on ekobrew is better. And with the flat bottom, the ekobrew is easier to clean. Coffee grinds get annoyingly stuck in the bottom of the solofill, whereas the Ekobrew can be rinsed out in one shot. Solofill is probably fine if you make one cup a day and put it in the dishwasher. But I make a bunch and the inconvenience of the solofill cleaning was enough to make me prefer the disposables over it.

3. Ekobrew got the whole thing right. Side walls allow you to fill 2/3 with coffee and make an ideal brew - water has room to mix with the coffee. The water distributes very well through the perforated funnel on top. And cleaning is easy (see how to clean #5).

HOW TO USE - FOR CONVENIENCE AND GOOD COFFEE
This is actually really important. Until I got it down to a system by trial and error to have it (1) not take much extra time compared to a disposable and (2) tasting good (not weak), I kept going back and forth on using these vs. disposables for the convenience factor. But with these steps I am fully converted to using the reusables.

1. Put your ground coffee in a Tupperware container. I like something that will hold about a bag of coffee and is relatively deep (not wide and short) so it's easy to scoop out of it. This make it very convenient to scoop 2/3 of a container full of coffee, shake the extra back into the container. Keep it air tight in the cabinet with your mugs (or in the refrigerator). Much more convenient than trying to scoop from a bag or than using a spoon to scoop into the cup.

2. Blend your coffee if you like. If you're like me and drink lots of cups a day, using the tupperware method (1 above) allows very easy mixing. I pour half a bag of decaf and caffeinated each into the container and shake well. Use a somewhat stronger blend than you might otherwise get since Keurig brews fast I do find the final flavor is less strong than if you got the same at Starbucks for instance.

3. Scoop 2/3 of the ekobrew with coffee. You want the coffee just above the bottom of the sidewall so water won't seep out without going through the coffee, but not too high that there's no room for the coffee to push thru (it will leak out and around the sides then). Make sure your ekobrew is completely dry, and then you can scoop with it directly and not try to spoon it in). Wipe off the sides back into the tupperware and close.

4. Brew like a normal k-cup.

5. Cleaning. This is really important to keep it from being inconvenient and took a while to work out.
a. Do this right after brewing - do not let the grinds sit in the ekobrew or they will harden and be more difficult to clean out
b. Pick the ekobrew up by the top sides (not hot there) and you can walk it over to the sink over your brewed coffee so it doesn't drip on the counter / floor
c. Open the top and hold it upside down directly over the drain and low (so the grinds don't spread all over the place)
d. Rinse through the bottom with cold water, with the cup upside down. All the grinds should come out in one quick shot and go right down the drain
e. Shake and set to dry.

6. Have more than one of these if you like several cups a day. You have to wait until they are completely dry to reuse or else the scooping method (#3) won't work.

Using these steps above, I've completely replaced the disposables without it being materially less convenient. I get the coffee of my choice and its much less expensive, and there's no waste.

Enjoy!
55 comments| 232 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 7, 2011
Once upon a time...I thought I would try to cut down a bit on the cost per cup when using my Keurig brewer. Don't get me wrong, we all have our favorite coffees and if you shop around, you can find some good deals...but it still costs. K-cups still are much more expensive than using your favorite variety in a refillable cup. The refillable cup from Keurig, while functional and effective, still is a bit of a hassle with all the separate parts. Gee, can't someone just provide a single-piece cup that does the same job and also is easier to clean?

But alas...There are two pretty similar one-piece refillable cups: Ekobrew and Solofill. Because the price was similar and because I wanted a couple of these little critters anyway, I decided to test out one of each. Both do a reasonably good job of quickly brewing a decent cup of ground coffee. Once you get used to the max. fill lines in each cup, you can have some control over the actual strength of the coffee you brew. To be fair, I used two different varieties from my local market. I also used both the Ekobrew and the Solofill on the same coffee variety at the same time and filled each to its respective max. fill line. In this experiment, the results were almost identical - both refillable cups did a great job, and both brewed very fast. As for taste, it was not like drinking colored water, but it also was not like buying a cup at your local (and quite expensive) coffee emporium. Just add coffee to taste. That said, it was on to the clean-up.

My nod (no, I was not nodding off) goes to the Ekobrew for perhaps two small points. First, unlike the Solofill, the Ekobrew has a flat bottom. This is helpful if you have to set the cup down for a moment (and yes, my Mommy did teach me to put the lid down, so this may be a very fine point to pick). Second, in the washing out department, though, the Ekobrew cleans right up. The little extension at the bottom of the Solofill tended to gather (and stubbornly hold) coffee grounds more so than the Ekobrew. It almost gave me nightmares about how much the grounds would cling to every little nook in the refillable cup from Keurig! Yikes!

Nuts I am you say? Maybe so, but if you are looking to hold down the cost of quickly brewed coffee from you Keuirg-style brewer, and you don't want to get dreaded dishpan hands from the cleaning chore, then NO, don't leave it in the sink for your spouse/partner to clean up. With the purchase cost about equal, just get the one that is easier to use. For me, it is the Ekobrew by just a few grounds.

Trust me though, at the end of the day, both the Ekobrew and the Solofill will live happily ever after at my house. The End...
on July 13, 2017
I purchased a number of the Ekobrew pods for myself and a friend. They worked very well, and we liked them. I ordered a couple of extra for myself, to reduce the need to empty, clean, and refill right away. But I was disappointed.
The original brown Ekobrew pods worked very well. The newer purple Ekobrew pods, however, are very frustrating. Set up to work with the newer Keurig 2.0 system, with a "label" on top of the pod, they do NOT work well with my older B60 Keurig. I insert the pod, press the lever down to close the lid, release the lever ... and the Keurig brew lights go back to solid as the lid lifts slightly. The only way I can brew a cup of coffee in my older Keurig with the newer purple Ekobrew pods is to stand there holding the Keurig's lever down during the entire brewing cycle. Not difficult ... but very annoying.
One of my Ekobrews recently lost its o-ring, Given the frustration with these, I decided to spend the extra money and buy the stainless steel Ekobrew pods. I bought a couple for my friend a few years ago, and she loved them.
But they don't make that style anymore. They still make a stainless steel pod, but it no longer has the diffuser cone in the lid of the pod. I decided to pass on that. I'm starting to use my pour-over units more and more.
on August 9, 2011
Seriously, I love my Keurig. I love the convenience and the coffees. But what I don't love is buying $50 dollars worth of coffee every month. I tried the filter that Keurig gave me with my Platinum B70 model and it made my awesome Guatemalan Coffee I used to brew the "old fashion way" into a watered down mess no matter how fine I ground the bean or how much I reduced the cup size.

I was skeptical about buying another kcup filter when I saw this offered on Amazon, but the video add on the ekobrew website had me sold. I bought the ekobrew Cup before it was available for sale with high hopes, and it has totally lived up to my expectations! My freshly ground coffee tastes better than any Kcup I have ever had! I forgot how good some of the beans I bought were. No Joke. If you are like me and have a few roasts of beans you just love and don't feel like breaking the bank trying every kcup under the sun to find blends that please you then get it. You won't be sorry.

The only negative part is you have to rinse it out but that is no big deal. Just pop the top and tap it on the sink and the grinds come out then rinse. No scrubbing or anything. I may buy another to have one handy to fill while the other is brewing since I make about 3 Kcups worth of coffee in the morning to fill for two travel mugs for the wife and I. THANK YOU ekobrew!
1515 comments| 983 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 7, 2012
I purchased a B60 Keurig for my wife this past Christmas from Sam's Club. Although I am not a true coffee drinker, using the K cups rather got me hooked on how really good coffee can taste. However good, the cost per K cups truly adds up in $ and also creates more waste for our landfills.

In searching for a more economical and green alternative, the Amazon website came to my rescue. After reviewing all the numerous alternatives to the K cups, I finally settled on the Ekobrew and a Medelco RK202 replacement coffee filters. It took less than five days before they arrived which is awfully fast considering where I live.

I haven't had the opportunity to try out the Medelco replacements but I would imagine that they work as well as the original. They are unquestionably almost identical except that the basket is about a quarter of an inch deeper which means you can add more coffee. Anyhow, this was again another item for my wife who wished she could make two cups in a row without washing out the strainer.

Anyone, I now focused my attention more on the Ekobrew. The first two attempts resulted in watered down and weak coffee. My third attempt tonight was rewarded with a truly enjoyable cup of coffee that I made myself without using the reusable K cup strainer. I am truly proud of myself.

Anyhow, the most enjoyable part of the experience is in the cleaning. I found that disposing of the coffee grinds in an old discarded plastic bottle is the solution to throwing it down the sink and wasting a lot of water in the process. If you collect a large amount of coffee grinds, these are can be used out in your yard as compost instead of going to a landfill or in the sewer.

After you empty the ekobrew, all you need is very little water to rinse out out strainer rinsing it upside down and a little on the inside. Somehow with this method, there is very little water used and the unit is really clean and ready for reuse. The coffee grinds just literally slide off the container and into your disposable bottle etc. And you don't need to waste a new toothbrush to get out the remaining coffee grinds.

Otherwise, really well made and certainly a must need accessory to any Keurig system.
on December 30, 2013
I bought this refillable K-Cup filter almost 2 years ago and I still use it 2-4 times per day. It works great and has stood the test of time. No tears, no cracks or anything. I don't know what the silicone ring is that some people have mentioned. Mine doesn't have one that I have noticed. My hinge doesn't stay shut anymore but that doesn't cause any sort of functionality issue because the only time it needs to be completely shut is while it's brewing and the brewer holds it shut.

Certain consistencies of ground can affect how the coffee brews. If you fill it too high it will overflow and make a mess. Even after this long I will still (rarely) mess up and fill it too high with grounds or use a courser or finer grind than I'm used to. In my opinion, no coffee is strong enough when you use the larger cup setting on the brewer, but that isn't K-Cup or Ekobrew's fault.

With the exception of overfilling the cup, I've never had grounds in my coffee, the cup is easy to clean and my azaleas enjoy the grounds, I've yet to buy a replacement but will definitely buy another Ekobrew when the time comes.
I paid twice the price that it is selling for now and would do it again. It's a steal for under ten bucks.

12/2014 update:
It no longer closes completely, but doesn't affect the product as long as I don't overfill it. Which you shouldn't do anyway because it will overflow. So it still works. I've saved tons of money using this!
on January 26, 2017
Bought this to use at work, since all we have is a Kuerig. I find the K-cups too watered down, too expensive, and too wasteful. Plus, I like to use the coffee I like. This works great, but I am still having trouble finding the right amount of coffee to add. Add too much and the amount of coffee you get in the cup is reduced but the right strength. Add too little, and you get enough coffee, but it is weak. So I compromise and put in extra coffee, and run it through 2 cycles it will fill up my cup. Need to play with the grind to get it right. Overall, I like it, and prefer it to K-cups. Easy to use and clean.
on January 15, 2013
** See my update below.

Original Review:
In short, the metal screen lets some coffee grit through. Not any big grounds, but just a little grit that you don't get with a regular coffee machine or the normal K-cups. This is more of an aesthetic thing as your coffee looks a little "grainy". I tried different grinds of coffee, and bigger grinds produce less of this problem, but then the coffee gets weak. Those are your choices: Weak or grainy looking.

This would be solved with a paper filter, but that would make things inconvenient and not "eko-like". (I don't care about eko marketing BS. I care about not spending 50 cents a pop on k-cups and not wasting $15/lb coffee in my full sized coffee maker).

I do think that some more engineering effort could be spent with a finer mesh filter that let's less grit through.

I also expect that in time, you'll see more refinements of this device for the reasons I said. This is not a problem unique to this brand - they all seem to do this. In the mean time, these companies are making a steal because it appears that it costs about 50 cents to manufacture this - about the same as they charge for a K-cup. I wish they were less expensive because I'd by 10 of them and fill them all up at once so I can have a battery of them so I can have one chore every 10 days instead of one chore every single day.

Bottom line: if you don't mind some grainy looking coffee, this does the job.

**UPDATE:

I bought this gizmo to save money on coffee/overpriced K-cups. I had a Keurig machine at the office and was thinking about buying a Keurig for home and wanted to test this out prior to buying myself a home machine.

After a couple weeks of fussing with this at the office, I decided it's not worth it, for three reasons. 1) Filling up and then cleaning (rinsing) these things is time consuming and messy, which negates the point of the K-system. 2) K-system coffee is not that great, and this device doesn't really improve it, especially since the coffee you use it probably not freshly ground (why would you grind just one k-cup of coffee?), 3) MOST IMPORTANTLY, I did the math on how much K-cups cost vs. brewing regular pots of coffee, and the cost savings over 1-year was enough to pay for a fully automatic espresso machine. I ended up buying a DeLonghi automatic machine for $500 that makes far better coffee, one cup at a time, than this or any k-cup machine can make (review here: http://www.amazon.com/review/R3MF1FATASTXGJ/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm).

So why bother with this messy thing that makes grainy coffee when you can have far better coffee, and no mess, that breaks even in 1 year. Just not worth it when you add up the savings compared to a "real" automatic machine.
on July 30, 2012
This is a much better option for self-brewing than Keurig's version, which just never seemed to work as advertised for us. We live in New Orleans, where coffee is religion. So the ability to custom brew was essential. We've been using them for almost a year and have never had a problem with them. There are a few things you'll need to get used to:

- It is possible to poke a hole in the bottom if you don't line it up correctly in the k-cup holder. This will be the first thing you will want to learn how to do when you get the Ekobrew. Place it in, close gently and you're golden. If you get any resistance as you close the unit, open it back up and make sure the Ekobrew is seated correctly. After hundreds of uses, there have only been a handful of times where I've had to reposition the filter.
- It took a few cups to figure out the best results using the Ekobrew, but once we figured it out we couldn't be happier.
- You will usually have small coffee grinds at the bottom of your cup when you finish drinking. If you can live with not having a "good-to-the-last-drop" moment, that won't be an issue.
- As many have noted, make sure the lip of the cup is clean of grounds before you close to brew. Finding a small (tiny) spoon to fill the Ekobrew filter helps. I find traditional coffee scoops too big.
- Cleaning the Ekobrew can get a little messy; That is a drawback to disposable k-cups. Packaging states it is dishwasher-safe, but we always rinse them out in the sink. I don't think cleaning them in the dishwasher is a good idea.

After a year of near daily use, I love the Ekobrew and recommend them to anyone. Just be aware of these few issues, treat them gently and with proper care and you'll enjoy your own favorite blend of coffee every time.
on February 6, 2012
We use standard Folgers coffee in ours. We're not coffee snobs, we just like a morning cup and the caffeine it delivers.
We got tired of paying the ridiculous cost of k cups so we bought an ekobrew.

It does a fine job and 99% of the time won't blow out if you follow these 5 simple tips:

1. Keep your grounds below the line. Don't overfill the ekobrew. I put exactly one level coffee scoop (1/8th cup or 2 TBL SPN) in mine and its just below the line. I have this type of scoop http://www.amazon.com/Coffee-Measurer-1-8-Cup/dp/B000KKK7WG/

2. As others have mentioned, make sure there is no grounds on the lid. Run your finger across it, or a napkin.

3. Tap it on counter. Not sure if this really helps but I call it my lucky knock...

4. Put the hinged part toward the front of the machine. This seems to help a lot, not sure if it is because there is more closing pressure in the back of the machine to hold the ekobrew closed or if it just fits better. But this seemed to reduce the occasional grounds blowout a lot.

5. Rinse after every use. I open mine and tap it on the side of the trash can and give it a quick rinse to get the old grounds out.