Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 402 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 431 reviews
on April 12, 2017
Got one of these years ago and would give that one 5 stars. This one gets 3. Previous on had just one larger flap on the back to easily put in and out of stand mode, this one has 2 small, stiff ones that are too wide apart making it a bit tedious to put in stand mode. The hinge flaps 1st section is also larger and softer so that when you pick the ipad up and place it back down you'll probable have to readjust this area for it to stand up. It's also not a perfect fit as the original was. It's secures a bit looser causing the openings for the power and volume buttons to not quite line up. Overall I'm glad to have is there aren't that many folios still available for the original ipad and the price is low.
on March 28, 2013
I have an ipad first gen, and this folio thing fits it okay. Not perfectly, and if I set it up on its side, the tablet kinda slides down in the holder, so it's not as snug a fit as I would like.

The tabs on the back that you tuck the front cover into in order to set this up on its side? Yeah, those tabs are really stiff and firm, so it's hard to put the ipad up in "stand" mode.

The folder itself is of reasonably good quality material with good stitching. It will hold up to abuse for some time, I predict, and it didn't even have a funky smell or anything to it, as far as I could tell. It doesn't hold closed with magnets or velcro or anything, which is a bit of a bummer, but i may just get some hook-and-loop closures to make it do that. At the price this thing cost, I'm pretty okay with it not working perfectly.

If you want a very basic folder-cover for your ipad first gen, this will serve just fine.
on November 8, 2013
The Elan Folio is a perfect fit on the iPad 1. Exactly as pictured. And I totally disagree with other reviews ...there is absolutely NO slipping.

Griffin makes quality cases, which this one is also. Durable.

The only downside are the two clips on the back which you use to slide the cover under when you use the case as a stand. Perhaps it is only because it is new, but they are stiff, and hard to slip the cover under.

It works just fine in two positions (vertical, and horizontal angled) when the cover is used with the clips in the back.

All iPad buttons are accessible, and again ...there is NO slipping. I have even shaken the iPad in the case and it is held solid. I'd also say that if the iPad were dropped in this case from a height of 4 feet, you'd scratch the case, but the iPad would be just fine probably 90% of the time.

This is definitely a Griffin case, and not a counterfeit. I wonder if the other reviewers did get a counterfeit as I cannot imagine they would complain about this case. I would guess this authentic Griffin case was around $40 to $50 a few years ago when the iPad 1 was new. This is far more durable than the cheap Apple case that came with the iPad 1 which was more like a skin.
on January 13, 2014
I bought this because I was broke and really needed something to protect my iPad. Well, it's worked out pretty well. As with most things on Amazon, you get what you pay for. This item does have some flaws, but for the price I think they're perfectly acceptable.
So, to begin, I have an iPad 2. I put a screen protector and a skin on it for some extra protection. This case is sturdy enough to protect your ipad, but isn't super functional. My iPad slides around in the case, but it doesn't ever fall out, so that is good. However, because it slides around, I can never use the camera function without having to take my iPad out of the case. I've been using this now for about two months and the faux leather is starting to kind of bubble where the divet is to make the case stand on its own (next to the Griffin imprint). Another thing, this definitely doesn't stand on its own. I've tried it on all kinds of different surfaces and at different angles, and it's just not possible with this case.
I know this is critical of the product, but I actually like it. I just needed something to protect my iPad while it goes adventuring with me in my purse or backpack, and for that it is perfect. So, if you're needing a cheap, dependable case, go for it.

ALSO, I've never dropped my iPad, so I can't vouch how well it protects it if dropped.
on July 11, 2013
I had been unable to find a replacement case for my I-Pad 1 on-line. I called Apple and was told that they are no longer sold at apple stores. Not liking to take "no" for an answer, I simply entered "I-Pad 1 case" on line and at first was only given a very few choices. Because my original hot pink case was so worn I decided to purchase this black one. I received it on time, as scheduled, even though I had it delivered to another address, out of town, out of state. It fits my I-Pad very nicely, very well made, and has served its purpose well. The one draw back is that it is just as it is described, black. My problem? It gets "lost" in the bottom of my black lined, oversized purse. Several days later, suddenly, Amazon started listing more I-Pad 1 cases, with better selections of colors and types. Being a person who loves color, I have since ordered another "hot pink" case, through Amazon, although there is absolutely nothing wrong with the black one, that I am now using. I have not received my new hot pink case yet, but I'll send you an up-date ASAP. The cost $12.99 plus sales tax. Too much to hope for.
on June 5, 2013
I can tell this folio will probably prematurely wear out, but it does the job.

I don't care for the dual tabs on the back which are meant to hold the cover in place when using the iPad. My previous similar folio from another manufacturer had only one, and it was much easier to use. You have to use both hands and twist the cover to get one side into the tab, then try to slide the other side into the other tab.

Then, sometimes the first one slides out. There isn't enough grip under the tabs to securely hold the cover in place. It tends to slide out.

But because of the low price, I am rating 3 stars.
on December 27, 2013
This is a basic, no frills folio that holds my iPad4 securely in place. It has two positions for placing your iPad at different horizontal angles. This is accomplished by bending out (2) tabs sewn into the back of the case and inserting the lip of the front cover into the tabs. Two things to consider when purchasing this item. The leather tabs must be bent outward to place the unit in a horizontal positon. Once bent to accomodate the the edge of the front cover they protrude slightly after the cover is removed. Also, the unit will shift slightly in the holder, causing the power button, mic etc., to be partially covered. Meets my needs for a folio that offers basic protection, but nothing special. Will do some research and look for a better cover over time. Overall not a bad value for the price compared to other covers.
on October 30, 2013
Having read all the descriptions, including what I considered a very helpful section of Q&A from buyers, I decided that the Élan Folio was the right choice for my 1st edition iPad. Granted there isn't a big selection for those of us with the sadly neglected first version of the tablet, but it had decent ratings and the Folio was the right price - which is why I'm not giving it 1 star! Folks, the iPad 1 does not, by any stretch of the imagination, fit properly in this case. No amount of shoving, wiggling, jiggling, or stretching would get my tablet in properly and now the front case has a small hump since it won't close! I was so angry I almost tossed it - returning it is not worth the aggravation. So every night, I leave a load of books on the case, trying to tame the leather into a correct fit. Feh! Feh, I say. You get what you pay for.
on April 28, 2013
It protects my first generation iPad just fine, but it's held in place by a flap that gets tucked behind the device and this really doesn't hold it in place very well. When I have it propped up, it the weight of the iPad causes it to slide down and I have to scoot it up to get the charging slot exposed so I can get a charger plugged into it.

Also, to get the propping section of it in place, you have to tuck it behind the two holder things on the back and it's not super easy to peel each one back to get it tucked in. Sometimes you tuck one in and then try to get the other one in and the whole thing comes out. I just think the design of it could have been better thought out.

It's still a good price and does the trick. These slight annoyances weren't enough to have me go through the trouble of returning it, but I thought I would bring them to light for future potential buyers. If that stuff wouldn't bother you, then go for it.
on April 21, 2013
It's a basic cover but to me it seems to hold the iPad in the wrong postion. To explain when you put it in the cover a strap slips over and around the back to hold it in. This is fine but to hold the iPad in the position so it doesn't sag down you end up holding the iPad with the home button on the left and your hand covers the speakers as they will be on the lower left. If you hold it the other direction it sags down because then the strap is on the bottom and it will cut off part of the screen.

Also the tabs on the back started to peel apart on mine after little use. I can't really complain because of the price. I just feel that it is designed so the user ends up holding it in an awkward postion that isn't speaker friendly. It is probably better used for the features that allow the iPad to be propped up. I just didn't want to take my iPad out of the cover every time I wanted to hold it.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.