on January 16, 2012
(If this seems too complicated, you can find videos of this glitch on YouTube by searching for "Skyrim Alchemy Glitch".)
Things to collect:
For Alchemy, get as many of these items as you can because you'll have to make the same potions several times in a row. Potions only need 2 items to be made, but the different options make creating these potions easier because some of these ingredients are hard to find.
Fortify Restoration potion requires any 2 of the following items;
Abecean Longfin, Cryodilic Spadetail, Salt Pile, Small Antlers, Small Pearl.
Fortify Enchanting potion requires any 2 of the following items;
Blue Butterfly Wing, Hagraven Claw, Snowberries, Spriggan Sap.
Fortify Smithing potion requires any 2 of the following items;
Blisterwort, Glowing Mushroom, Sabre Cat Tooth, Spriggan Sap.
Search Alchemy vendors to get ingredients faster; there is one in every major city. You can get the fish you need just by swimming up to fish and catching them.
Snowberries grow in a lot of places where it's covered in snow, but you'll find them easily just by walking around Dawnstar.
Blue Butterfly Wings can be found by harvesting the butterflies in the plains outside of Whiterun
For Disenchanting you need:
One enchanted item that "Fortifies Alchemy"
Anything else that is already Enchanted. (Ideally you want an item that fortifies health, one that fortifies stamina, and one that fortifies magic.)
It is going to be important to Disenchant as many things as you can prior to enchanting your armor and weapons. While this destroys the weapon or armor you disenchanted, it teaches your character what they need to know to enchant anything.
Armor without enchantment
2 Helmets without enchantment
2 Gloves, Gauntlets, or Bracers without enchantment
Boots without enchantment
2 Rings (any kind) without enchantment
2 Necklaces (any kind) without enchantment
As many filled Soul Gems as you can find (Greater, Grand, or Black Soul Gems are best). You'll need one for every enchanted item you make. Many vendors have these gems for sale.
Prior to making potions it would be best to activate Perks on the Alchemy, Enchanting, and Smithing perk trees. High level in these skills isn't necessarily required, and the act of performing this glitch with likely max the levels on these three aspects.
However, if you intend to Smith your own Armor to be enchanted, you will want to make sure you've activated enough stars in your Smithing perk tree for the type of armor you want to make. Also, be aware of what is required to make the armor you want (i.e. type of Ingots, Leather, Leather Strips, etc...)
Smithing isn't really necessary, because without further training your character can already smith Iron Armor. Once you apply enchantments to your armor and weapons they will be so powerful that their type becomes irrelevant.
Arcane Enchanter, Alchemy Table, and Smithing equipment are all easy accessible in Windhelm. If you just arrived in Windhelm, turn left and run as far as you can. In this market area you'll find a Smith, an Arcane Enchanter in the SW corner, and an Alchemy store called The White Phile which has an Alchemy table inside.
Also, if you have bought a home, many large homes will have an Arcane Enchanter and Alchemy Table if you've bought the appropriate decorating package.
Save the game NOW!
1. Use the Arcane Enchanter to Disenchant all the magical items whose ability you want to apply to different item(s) later. You MUST disenchant something that "Fortifies Alchemy". It is important that you have learned "Fortify Magic", "Fortify Health", and "Fortify Stamina". If you have not learned those enchantments, you can still do steps 1-10, but will have to learn those enchantments before finishing the steps.
2. Use the Arcane Enchanter to Enchant; 1 Helmet (or other headwear), 1 set of Gloves, Gauntlets, or Bracers, 1 ring, and 1 Necklace with the "Fortify Alchemy" Enchantment.
3. Now, remove all apparel you're currently wearing, and put on the 4 items you've just enchanted.
4. Go to the Alchemy table and mix any 2 of these items (Abecean Longfin, Cryodilic Spadetail, Salt Pile, Small Antlers, Small Pearl) to make 1 "Fortify Restoration" potion.
5. Back off the Alchemy table, Drink the potion you just made, then go to your apparel menu and remove the 4 enchanted items, then put them back on (don't ask me why).
6. Next, repeat steps 4 and 5, 7-10 times. Every time you do this you should note that the percentage of improvement increases on your 4 pieces of "Fortify Alchemy" apparel. The amount of time you should repeat this step will vary depending on how skilled you were when you originally enchanted those items. But the goal is to not over do this. If you see the numbers getting way too big, you may cause the game to crash. Be careful, if necessary, reload the game from the last save and start over.
By now your Fortify Alchemy skill is really high because the repeated use of the "Fortify Restoration" potion has multiplied the effectiveness of the Alchemy apparel you're wearing. Make sure your 4 enchanted items are equipped, and then return to the table.
7. Now create as many "Fortify Enchanting" potions as you can by mixing any 2 of these items; Blue Butterfly Wing, Hagraven Claw, Snowberries, Spriggan Sap.
Don't back out of Alchemy.
8. Now create as many "Fortify Smithing" potions as you can by mixing any 2 of these items; Blisterwort, Glowing Mushroom, Sabre Cat Tooth, Spriggan Sap.
Now you've created all the potions you need to make yourself a God, but if you want to, feel free to take this opportunity to make any other potions you can. Because your Alchemy is fortified, any potion you create will be worth a lot of Gold. So much so that no vendor would ever have enough, but if you want to be able to sell one thing and take all their money this is an easy way to do it.
NOTE: speechcraft perks allow you to invest 500 gold in every store which will give the vendor 500 more to barter with. There is also a speechcraft perk that gives vendors an extra 1000 Gold! If you have those perks, the vendors will have 1750-2500 gold every 24 hours.
Skip steps 9 and 10 if you don't intend to build or improve weapons.
9. If you are going to smith your own weapons, make sure you have the right amount and type of ingots and leather before attempting. Go to the forge and create your weapons and armor, do NOT drink the fortify smithing potion before doing that, it will not help you there.
10. When your done creating weapons and armor, go to either the grindstone or the workbench. Drink 1 fortify smithing potion, and improve your weapons and armor. Keep in mind that improvements require additional ingots and leather. Also, the potion you drank is only good for 30 seconds, so be careful not to take too long, other wise back out, drink another potion and do it again. If you've done this right, you should have smithed both your armor and weapons up to a decent level of damage. (i.e. Iron Dagger = 201 Damage)
11. Next, head to the Arcane Enchanter. Before doing this, you need to understand that only certain items can do certain things. If you need to know what enchantments can apply to a specific item, go into the enchanter, and start the process by selecting the item you want to enchant. When you go down to "enchantment" many things will be blacked out, meaning they cannot apply to that item, or you haven't learned that enchantment yet.
Once you know what enchantments you want to apply to each item, back out of the enchanter, drink one fortify enchanting potion, then QUICKLY enchant 1 item. Your potion is only good for 30 seconds, that's why you need to know what you're trying to do before you do it!
If you pulled that off, your item will either have a serious magic damage attached to it, or your armor will have a wicked rating on it.
Drink 1 potion and repeat this process for every item you want to enchant!
Enchant a ring with Fortify Stamina
Enchant a Necklace with Fortify Health
Enchant your Gloves, Gauntlets, or Bracers with Fortify Magic
Enchant your Boots with Fortify Carry
If you've done at least those 4 things, you most likely will be invincible, have pratically unlimited magic, stamina so good you can RUN all the way across Skyrim, and the carrying capacity to move thousands or millions of lbs!
Feel free to enchant your weapons however you see fit. But keep in mind; this will probably make the weapon so strong it will kill anything with 1 strike! So it might not be as fun.
How to fast level certain skills.
Travel to Riftin and speak to the barkeeper at the Black Briar Meadery. He will present an option to persuade him to tell more about Maven Black Briar. Take this option, it will keep presenting itself. You can basically make him repeat the same thing until you max out your speechcraft.
Find a location in a city near some people, go into sneak, then set your controller with rubber bands so your characters just sneaks in circles for about an hour. As long as you are somewhat close to NPC's and in sneak your skill will level without you needing to do much of anything. FYI, Xbox controller will sleep after 15 minutes, so check on it occasionally.
In Windhelm you'll find a beggar name Silda the Unseen. She can sell you pickpocket training. Buy one session, sneak around behind her, and steal the money back for an additional skill increase. Save every time you do this because sometimes you'll get caught. She can train you 5 times, and if you steal your money back you'll get another 5 increases. Then when you go through another character level up you can repeat this process. Though eventually this option will stop presenting itself.
Combat and Destruction Magic
If you join the Dark Brotherhood you will eventually get a horse named Shadowmere. Shadowmere has health that regenerates very quickly and he will not attack you, so you can attack him repeatedly using One-Handed, Two-Handed, Archer, and Destruction Magic and level up without actually being attacked.
While traveling near the bottom of a steep hill or mountain, if you are attacked by any creature, try to move up the steep incline. Your character can usually get up higher than your attacker. Once you're in a location where they can't hit you, cast "Bound Sword" repeatedly. You have to be currently under attack for conjuration to level up, so having someone actively trying to get at you is essential. Keep a lot or magic potions on you so you don't have to stop.
You can do this in pretty much the same manner as conjuration. Just block with a sword or shield while being attacked, if your health get's too low, move back up the steep incline on the hill or mountain until you're healed, or use potions. Then come down again and let them hit you some more. Doing this with a low level enemy like a wolf would be best.
Free goodies can be found in a secret chest in Dawnstar. Fast travel to Dawnstar, if you haven't discovered it yet, you can pay a carriage operator to take you there. There are two mines in this town. Find Iron Breaker Mine. Do not enter it. Just to the left of the entrance there are 3 rocks. Place your reticle in that location and eventually you see an option to "Search Chest" even though there isn't anything visible in that spot. The chest is teeming with goodies, empty it. It is supposed to refresh every 2-10 game days, so check it out whenever you're in the area.