Industrial Deals HPC Spring Reading Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. Get 10% back on select Bang & Olufsen products Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day gifts Home Gift Guide Mother's Day gifts across Amazon Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon howardsend howardsend howardsend  Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

FIRST - This is not a a paid review. I received no compensation nor discount for this product. I bought it, I tried it, I liked it, I rated it here.
In August of 2016 I had a brain fart, "lets buy the boys guitars for Christmas" . We have 7 Grand-kids. the 4 boys came first, then 2 sweet little girls, and one still in the oven.
I decided to buy one of these kits just to see if they were any good. WOW was I impressed. I have several guitars and I have play professionally ( and on worship tams for free) so I know what I want a guitar to sound like and feel like and play like.
These knock off Stratacasters were just the ticket. After getting the first test guitar set up and tuned and after playing it for about an hour ( I like to play when the guitar is in tune) I ordered 2 more of these kits (2 blue, 1 green per the boys preference) and one junior kit for the youngest boy > RED Junior Kids Mini 3/4 Electric Guitar Amp Starter Pack, Guitar, Tremolo, Amplifier, Gig Bag, Strap, Cable, & DirectlyCheap(TM) Translucent Blue Medium Guitar Pick <

TO be honest , right out of the box they played terrible. But I could easily see why -- they needed to be "Set Up". This is true for even new expensive guitars - they all need to be set up.

This is the process of making sure the neck is aligned and not bowed, then adjusting all of the bridge pieces to get the correct string heights and make sure they are adjusted to the proper mathematical musical length. Depending on how badly these are not set up properly this can take an hour or two, but if you are even a novice player, if you can watch you tube, there are instructions galore on how to set up an electric guitar.

Once I get these set up I was very impressed at the play-abiity and intonation of these great inexpensive instruments.
For about $100 you (or a child) can be on your way to becoming a player. This is something that you can get a young child that if the interest wanes, just put in away in the closet and in a few years if an interest gets sparked again, its there and waiting for you to have another go at it.

For reference, the age ranges of our boys are from 6 to 12. This guitar was just the right size for the 3 oldest and the shorter neck I review as well was the perfect size for the youngest one.( I neglected to consider how short his fingers are at this age, but he will grow into it, and have fun messing around with it until then.)
These can carry them from total goof off novice toy to being able to really play in a band in thier youth and not have to buy an expensive Fender or Gibson till they are older and seem to be into playing as a real hobby ( or the next Eric Clapton).
The Amp that comes with these is a nice little amp that will be plenty loud enough for starting out.
You get everything in the kit to be jammin' right out of the box.
I suggest getting the clip on tuner>Snark SN-5 Tuner for Guitar, Bass and Violin< and a pack of extra picks. My preference are standard size, medium to thin and if you can find the ones that aren't smooth they will be less likely to slip out of your fingers.

As a player and former performer I recommend these units as a great way to get anyone started in playing music with very little expense. If you are not sure about doing the set up your self you can probably find someone in your local area to do this for you at reasonable cost.
If you are in my area send me a message and we will see what we can do.
In short these are well worth the money to invest in someones musical future!!!!!
N8ACU
22 comments| 135 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on August 22, 2015
When I bought this guitar I was a total novice at guitars. But after now months of playing and complete knowledge of the basics. I can write a review detailing the guitar. The first great thing about it is the affordability for what you get. It comes with a guitar bag that has a pocket on it and has handles on it for transportation, a strap, an extra set of strings, a rather big pick (I'd recommend getting a smaller pick to play it with) and the amp. The amp is designed to practice at home and does its job wonderfully with an overdrive button for distortion, volume, treble and bass knobs and a headphone jack.

The guitar looks amazing and plays decently, definitely good for total beginners like I was. It has fret indicators on the side of it and the front for easy navigation. It also has a volume knob on the guitar and 2 tone knobs for the pickups. It strums with ease however the low e string tends to vibrate and rattle when you strum intensely. But that can be easily overlooked for the low price. The weight of it is not excessively heavy and it hold its tune so you don't have to tune it that much. It is compatible with Rocksmith but you'll need to buy the rocksmith cord that goes with the game to play it.

Overall I would say if you are wanting to learn the guitar this is the guitar for you. You don't have pay too much for it, the amp is extremely effective and packs quite a punch for its small size. Definitely worth the price.
0Comment| 41 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on September 30, 2017
Redoing my review.

So I'm taking a guitar class and my professor the other day had a look at it to adjust it a little, and recommended I go to a local music store to get it adjusted further. I went, and the man at the store had a look at it and informed me that it was a cheaply built guitar that he'd buy for the store at around $30. He gave me a used one with new strings, and I left the other one with him (kept the strap for Guitar Hero though). The difference was ASTOUNDING. If you just want to mess around with it and aren't sure if it's your thing, this guitar is not a bad option, but you're probably better off going to a local music store and getting a decent used one (if I hadn't been given the guitar, it would've been $75).

I still hold my view that $100 isn't really something to sneeze at here - you get the guitar, the amp, etc. and customer service was great when my bag was breaking and I didn't have the pick that was supposed to be included (they refunded me $20). I'll mention that the bag and strap are rather low quality and you'll definitely want to replace the bag.

The plus side? That blue/black gradient is gorgeous and I drooled over it for a little bit.
on March 10, 2018
The old adage is that you get what you pay for.

I never played a musical instrument in my life so I didn't want to spend a lot of money.

For a gift to somebody who has never played before, this is okay. It's a great gift for a 10-15 year old beginner.

The finish is peeling off, both sets of strings were replaced, and the amp was tossed into a dumpster. It's not worth giving away for free.

I already purchased another amp that costs $120 and worth more than this entire package. A good amp is essential for any electric guitar.

If you are like most people who start something and never commit to it long term, this is a perfect solution because it's cheap.

For the absolute beginner who will give up within 6 months, it gets a 5 star rating because this package has everything you need to get started.

If your goal is to learn at least 20 chords, up to 10 songs and practice at least 4 hours per month for 6 months or longer, do not invest in this junk.

Spend $300-500 for quality used gear that doesn't need immediate upgrades; except for strings and picks.

Once you learn 2-3 songs, you will start looking to replace everything, except the tuner.
on December 27, 2016
This is an excellent beginner (and even intermediate) guitar, but I would recommend setting it up with the help of someone musically inclined. First, ditch the stock strings in favor of something like Ernie Ball Regular Slinky Nickel Wound Sets, .010 - .046 (3 Pack), which are inexpensive and immediately improve both the tone and playability of the instrument. Second, the intonation definitely needs adjustment (or did on ours, anyway) which requires careful adjustments of the bridge saddle per-string.

Lastly, the amp is only mediocre - it's good for small room practice but I wouldn't recommend it for performance or recording. It will occasionally pop (or have a very short cut-out) when doing significant changes in input volume (e.g., hitting a sudden power cord). You'll also want pedal effects to do anything beyond the very simplistic overdrive it offers.

These are mild shortcomings though, and don't detract from the cost / value ratio of the instrument (hence the 5 stars). Definitely got what we were expecting, and with just a little TLC are getting excellent results.
High quality, Great sound and even better looking in person than online. This was a gift for our daughter and this was a crazy good deal for a start up guitar kit. We didn't want to spend a lot of money in case she decided the guitar wasn't her thing. This seems like a very high quality set for such little money invested. I would recommend this set to a child and adult! It sounds good and looks amazing! Thank you Amazon for offering this great deal! A++++
on April 3, 2018
I like it but believe it was a used guitar or intentionally damaged because right out of the box the pick guard had several deep cuts/gouges and scratches in it... it almost appears to be intentionally done and then the protective plastic was put over it... one of the string adjusters popped out because it wasn't screwed into the neck properly and was stripped in the wood during original assembly which was only held by only one of the screws that was only halfway in... this guitar blew threw the quality control for sure... Rather than going threw the trouble to send it back i took it apart and repaired the screw hole and fixed the string tuning adjuster... the guitar itself is a good guitar for the money after I repaired it but I'm still highly disappointed the pick guard is so badly damaged and very annoying when moving your fingers around on it while playing it... I never post negativity on any product but this should be a beware to buyer info... I would be extremely happy if the manufacturer would at least just send me a new pick guard that i could replace it, and then improve their quality control before boxing it up and shipping it out ... I have also purchased and awaiting another guitar to arrive from Amazon but if this one has any such issues its going right back...we will see what happens.
on March 30, 2018
Got for my son for Christmas. Had my uncle to set it up. It's not the best guitar out there. But if you know what you're doing to set it up and get it tuned properly it should work great for you! The little amp that comes with it works. You won't be taking the amp to a gig though! But for my son playing in his room it works great for that. The gig bag that came with it was broken out of the box. The zipper on it broke the first time we put guitar in it to go-to lessons. Long story short, for the price it's definitely worth it. Great starter package to get someone interested in playing and learning guitar!
on December 6, 2017
This whole set is amazing! My little brother is 16 and has taken up guitar and is really very good. I thought this would make the perfect starter electric guitar kit for Christmas. Everything looks and feels great! So happy with this purchase!
on May 10, 2014
I have now had this package for about three weeks, so I'll write a review about it. This is my first electric guitar. I have played an acoustic for years, and wanted to try out an electric. Overall, it's a great deal. For the price, you can't hope to achieve perfection, and you aren't getting perfection, but you are getting something that is eminently "good enough." This is basically a generic version of a Fender Squier Bullet Strat with Tremolo HSS, which if you buy that costs $130 just for the guitar. I have been playing a lot on this and overall I am happy with it. It sounds great through the various effects pedals I bought. The amp has some nice crunch if you crank it up. I am not a longtime electric guitar player, but the overdrive on the amp sounds pretty good to me.

Now the issues:

1) the AMP makes noise when it's on, even if you're not playing. I'm not sure if that's normal, but it is a noticeable amount of "fuzzing;"
2) there is fret buzz on the 6th string about midway down -- I'm probably going to need to take the guitar in to have the neck adjusted -- but it is not bad enough that I have bothered to do this yet;
3) the bag is barely big enough to fit the guitar, and you sort of have to work to fit the zipper over the top prong of the body; and
4) it does come untuned, likely because the tuners are not of terrific quality, so if you haven't played for a day or two you are going to want to check your tuning again; also all the strings don't come untuned at the same rate. I tune by ear using the first string usually, and I went about a week at one point without tuning against a machine. Then I tried to play along with a song on Spotify that I know and I quickly realized I had tuned the whole thing down about half a step (at least) from standard tuning. This is not some sort of Gibson that is going to hold its tuning "forever." To me this is not a big deal, because how freaking hard is it to just go to one of the zillion guitar tuner websites and get it back in tune in about a minute.

Summary: overall, for the price this is a great product. It looks like a Fender Stratocaster, you get an amp, a bag, a strap, and a guitar for a hundred bucks. You can't beat that. Just understand that a beginner guitar player you give this to, if he/she really gets into guitar, is probably going to asking for an Epiphone Les Paul or for a Fender Squier Telecaster within a few months. If so, that's a good thing. It means this guitar did its job. This is the PERFECT guitar to give as a gift to someone who may or may not end up playing electric guitar as a real serious hobby, and who is trying it out (including if you are "giving" it to yourself, as I was). It looks good, it sounds good, and you won't feel like an idiot if you buy it. If one day you become the next Eric Clapton, I don't expect you'll be taking it out on tour, but that's not the point of this product.