Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Battlefield 4 [Online Game Code]
Amazon Vehicles Buy 2 kids' books and save Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Ingrid Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Celine Dion Water Sports

Platform: PC Download|Edition: Standard|Change
Price:$19.99

on November 2, 2013
When details about the upcoming BF4 leaked out (e.g. the famous collapsing skyscraper) I was afraid that EA was putting more effort into gee-whiz visual effects rather than worrying about making the game run properly. If you've played Battlefield 3 you know it's a great game with some serious flaws, things that weren't fixed even after a long series of patches and updates--I was afraid BF4 would turn out the same. Well, my fears are realized.

BF4 is full of eye candy, lots of cool things happen, and it has tons of *potential*. Unfortunately the game is packed with bugs and glitches, and it crashes so often that it is extremely frustrating just trying to play. Crashes, crashes and more crashes, and different kinds of crashes depending on the game's mood or the time of day or something. Freezes, black screens, white screens, "Battlefield 4 has stopped responding" error messages from Windows, "Your game has disconnected" messages, "Your connection to the server timed out" (after five minutes?) messages, and so on and so forth--it's a festival of crashes. And it doesn't seem to matter if you have a wheezy old computer or a brand new hot rod with top notch hardware, it doesn't matter how good your computer is, the game will lag, stutter, freeze and crash again and again.

Aside from the fact that the game crashes constantly, there are elements of the design that I really dislike. Perhaps to compete with Call of Duty (which Battlefield players consider a game for kids and refer to as Computerized Online Daycare), the game developers have made BF4 downright cartoonish in many ways. Tanks race across the landscape like sports cars (and without making a sound until they've killed you, then you hear them), and infantry can run and leap like leopards even after you've shot them. Yes, you can shoot an enemy until he is almost completely dead, with only a couple of points of life left, and he can still spin around and kill you and run off laughing.

Jets can still fly in ways they cannot in the real world, just as in BF3. Helicopters can collide with trees and buildings and somehow survive (unless I'm flying them in which case they immediately explode). Armored vehicles can absorb insane amounts of damage without being destroyed, but then become stuck on a tree stump or rock. An annoying feature in BF3 was bullets seeming to follow you around corners, this was due to the shooter and his target not being in sync on the server, they both saw slightly different things. This seems to be even worse in BF4, and it is very annoying to often get shot by someone who should not even be able to see you according to what appears on your screen (but not his).

Sure, they got some things right. They restored squad chat so it is easier for players to talk to each other using gaming headsets, and they made it easier to join teammates already in the game. Commander Mode (something else missing from BF3) has also returned, and there are cool new weapons and some interesting new maps. But none of that matters if you cannot play the game because of horrible lag or because the game crashes over and over.

I assume many of these issues will be addressed in coming weeks (BF4 is less than a week old as I write this) and many of the bugs will be fixed. But the huge question Battlefield players are asking is why weren't these problems fixed before the game was released? Why does EA insist on putting an unfinished product on the market and then scrambling to correct scads of glitches that could and should have been corrected before it was offered to the public? Is it just the highly profitable Christmas sales season that prompted them to release a product that was not ready?

If you want to know if I think you should buy Battlefield 4 right now, the answer is no. Wait awhile, let them correct enough of the problems that the game is at least playable. In a few months this might be a terrific game. But as it sits today, BF4 is a disaster.

UPDATE

BF4 has been out three months and there has been some improvement although many serious issues remain after several patches from EA. The game doesn't crash nearly as often (but it still crashes). Lag and stuttering have been reduced too although not eliminated. The audio no longer suddenly disappears on certain maps. However many core problems remain, e.g. what you see and what your opponent sees not being in sync, leading to many outraged comments by players about being "shot around corners". Of course EA (and this game's developer, DICE) couldn't fix a sandwich without breaking the whole kitchen, and every patch has fixed some things while breaking others. There was a bug where players you had clearly shot still showed 100% health when they spun around and killed you. Now, they instead show 0% health, making it look as if you were just killed by a dead player (leading to much yelling and screaming in the game's text chat). There has been so much angry commentary from disappointed Battlefield players that it got the attention of the mainstream media leading to EA's stock price taking a hit. EA has also ordered DICE to suspend work on expansion packs for BF4 and get all their programmers working on fixing bugs, but there are so many bugs, and I wonder if some of them really cannot be fixed because the basic structure of the game contains hopeless flaws. EA has actually been issuing refunds to some purchasers of BF4 provided they hadn't played many hours (many of them could not play at all).

So, while BF4 has been partially repaired it is still a coin toss if you will find it an enjoyable game or an experience more irritating then entertaining. I know several people with new fire-breathing gaming computers who have just as much trouble running BF4 as those of us using less powerful machines. So be warned; while BF4 is terrific when it is working and shows huge potential, it is still a buggy and annoying product needing a lot of work. If you haven't bought it yet you are probably better off waiting awhile to see how far the repair work gets (and how much EA drops the price) because Battlefield 4 still has some serious problems.

ONE YEAR LATER

There have been several big fixes applied to BF4 over the past year, and they have successfully repaired many of the bugs which plagued this game at release. However, in true DICE/EA fashion each patch has brought new problems, fixing some things but breaking others. I was getting few crashes lately but an Origin update last week resulted in a wave of new "Battlefield 4 has stopped responding" messages as well as black-screen crashes such as I had not seen in ages. Before anyone else says I need a better computer, this past summer I had a hotrod gaming computer built--Cooler Master, Asus, EVGA, Corsair -- all good stuff capable of running BF4 without breaking a sweat. Yes, some issues disappeared with all this computing horsepower available. But many problems continued because they are built into the game, e.g. the clunky "netcode" which means your shots might register on your opponent, or they might not. Enemies still appear to pop out of thin air seemingly shooting at you before you can even see them, grenades still occasionally vanish even though you watched them fly through the air and hit the ground at your opponent's feet, tanks still slide silently up behind you without making a sound and so on and so forth. One positive development is the Fair Fight anti-cheat service which seems to be making using hacks riskier than before, although of course many folks still try. Yet even here EA's policies have a negative effect, and they're giving out one-week suspensions as warnings rather than permanently banning players identified as hack users.

BF4 remains an impressive game with gorgeous graphics and some interesting game play but also a host of really irritating flaws and poor design decisions. This game could have been so much better, but it was released long before it was ready and EA has been scrambling ever since to apply patch after patch trying to make it work. It's certainly better than it was at first, but it's still got significant problems. I regularly play with quite a few serious gamers and all of them swear they will not pre-order any further titles in the Battlefield series--they will wait and buy any new versions only when they have been proven to work. DICE/EA has really alienated much of the Battlefield player community with BF4.
1111 comments| 254 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 31, 2013
Battlefield 4 has had a very rocky launch and it was clearly not ready. Servers constantly crash and when this happens you lose all your progress in that current match. The reason for this is because your stats do not update until the end of the match, so if a server crashes everything just goes into deep space and are lost forever. They need to seriously fix this by having your stats update during a match and not just the end. Your game will also crash at random times and mostly during map changes, even if you have the most up to date drivers. On top of this there has been lag spikes so bad you can't even move your soldier or spawn. The sound cuts out on many maps like Lancang Dam, i assume they never tested this map because they would have noticed this immediately. Most of the maps are lackluster in general. Paracel Storm is the only map that stood out as being awesome. A storm rolls in, waves start crashing and the weather is intense. You have to play this map to really feel how awesome it is.

After playing Battlefield 3 for hundreds of hours i can safely say Battlefield 4 is no big jump. The engine looks the same, physics are the same. Being able to see a live feed of where you spawn is a nice touch. Levolution is cool the first time you see it, but quickly turns into a cheap gimmick that you will probably not even notice again. There are new maps and vehicles, but honestly it feels more like a DLC. The price is steep if you want Battlefield 4 and premium which will set you back $110 before taxes. For a game that feels like a DLC or a beta because of all the launch issues... you are paying way too much.

Now onto Amazon's so called battlepack bonus code that should have been delivered to those who pre ordered. I have contacted customer support 4 times at the time of writing this because i never received my battlepack. It seems like many others did not as well after reading threw reviews and discussions. Every time i contact them they give me a different response, they tell me wait 24 hours... then 48 hours... then 72 hours. I even had a customer service rep promise me it would be in my inbox by the end of the day, of course this never happened. They are completely clueless. Well here is the thing, the store page says it will be delivered after 48 hours and mostly everyone is still waiting. There is no announcement on the store page explaining what the delay is, they just keep us in the dark. Some have reported that some customer service reps will generate you a key and email it to you, but this is not the case for everyone. The whole thing with this battlepack bonus code is a complete mess.

On the bright side, when the servers aren't crashing or lagging, Battlefield 4 runs silky smooth on ultra and 95 FOV. My specs: FX 8320 CPU, AMD 7850 video card, M5A97 R2.0 motherboard, 8GB of 1600 ram, sata 3 HDD.
on November 4, 2013
Man when this game works it is a real blast to play. However with that said, it only seems to work about %10 of the time. It was actually fairly stable on launch day but the past 2 days I have been unable to even get into a game, and if/when I do the server crashes and you lose all of your points. Talk about a cluster, and we thought the Sim City launch was bad! Please do yourself a favor and stay away from this game until you hear the problems have been sorted out.
on February 11, 2014
Very disappointed by DICE and EA on this game. Countless problems. The game crashes and causes memory leaks frequently. Many bugs, allowing users without hacking to take advantage of extremely annoying exploits. Hackers are insanely abundant. WIll not be wasting money on DICE games again.
on December 7, 2013
Game barely works. You get crashes trying to access Battlelog in-game. You crash when you play Conquest for 5-10 minutes. You crash loading to the next map. There's no party interface to play with friends, which is ridiculous.

I'm a huge Battlefield fan, ever since 1942 back in the day, but this game is a mess, I'd stay away for now.
on December 9, 2013
I wanted SO much to love this game! I pre-ordered a copy, and gave my brother a gift card so he could pre-order his own. After a $150 "investment" on my part, we have played together zero times. I have buyer's remorse for the money I shelled out, but feel even worse for dragging my brother into this mess. All we can do now is wait (months?) for stable servers and patches that will hopefully fix at least the major issues. The price of EA stock on the NASDAQ has dropped from over $27 this summer, to a little over $22 today. On the one hand, I hope that this drives home the message to EA... on the other hand, I worry that they'll cut even more corners in an attempt to increase their profitability.

My advice to would-be buyers:
Wait.
Wait until the bugs and glitches are fixed. Wait until the servers are stable. The more you think you'll love this game, the more it will hurt when (not if) things go wrong if you buy now (Dec 2013). In addition to avoiding all of the hopeless aggravation the rest of us are going through, you may even save some cash if the game is discounted. Best of luck to all of you.
on December 3, 2013
This is insane. You pay so much money (upwards of $120) for a video game to basically suffer your way through this pitiful excuse of a game. You can tell right from the first 20 minutes of gameplay that this was a rushed effort on EA/Dice's part. They basically just wanted to push this game out their doors without having even tested it in order to grab sales before COD:Ghosts. They paid no attention to the huge amount of glitches, bugs, and ugly crashing issues. Why should you have to pay so much to suffer so much even a month after the first release? Listen: there's a reason that even after 370+ reviews BF4 barely has a 2.5 star rating. It really is that bad. Some other complaints:

SINGLE PLAYER:
-Your teammates are useless and can't shoot down one enemy standing not five feet in front of them half the time. Directing them towards that enemy doesn't help much, either.
-Although the story was well thought out, you can tell it was rushed. Campaign can be beaten on Normal difficulty in 6 hours or less. Still an hour or two longer than COD though.
-Less linear than before, which I like, but the scripting is obvious and you can tell when enemy choppers are coming in, when enemy reinforcements pop out of nowhere, etc.
-Enemies take 5 shots to drop them, or 3-4 shots from a 7.62mm DMR. When they get shot, they hardly falter or just shrug it off like it was a mosquito or something.
-Missions are full of bugs, including a few critical bugs that will crash your game and force you to restart the whole mission (there are 8 or so missions total, each with a bazillion objectives to accomplish).
-Ending was just like... Seriously? I won't spoil it for you, but if you ever get BF3.5 - er, I mean, BF4, you'll see what I mean.

MULTIPLAYER
-The crashing. I can't say anything positive until the crashes are fixed permanently.
-The weapons. Sometimes it feels like I'm dying in one hit from a 4-shots-to-kill-assault rifle. I don't know what's different, but in BF3 it actually took a bit of time to kill someone. In this game I feel like I'm sniping people from across the map with a submachine gun (and I have done that before) in less time than it takes to pop a soda can open and take a sip. Weapons have very little recoil and are laser accurate. Suppression is less effective (which can be good or bad depending on your playstyle), but it's almost to the point where I can't tell when I'm being suppressed even half the time.
-The maps are poorly designed and levelution is nothing more than eye candy and an occasional nuisance. No good CQC style maps, and some map spawns are poorly designed (especially for TDM).
-The movement feels so sluggish, which I appreciate for the realism aspect, but sometimes it'll come to the point where my character can vault over a 4 foot high concrete barrier and then have trouble going over a broken wall that's roughly knee-high. It just makes no sense. I have video footage of my character being unable to jump over a really short barrier that he should easily be able to go over even in real life. It's not just jumping over barriers, either. I can't shoot through a flight of stairs that has gaps in between the steps. My bullets can't go through a 0.5 inch thick rusty pipe.
-Vehicles still overpowered. I avoid huge conquest maps because I can never get my hands on a tank or jet and when I do, I get mauled by someone who's already no-lifed their way into a myriad of overpowered unlocked equipment for their vehicle.
-1/3 of the weapons are carried over from BF3, some with the exact same animations.
-Two of the bolt-action sniper rifles require 2 hits to the head at long ranges to kill. This just makes no sense to me regardless of how fast their bolt-action mechanism is.

Seeing as I got it on sale and the campaign was amusing and I managed to have my good moments in game, I'll rate this game 2 stars. I'd like to rate Dice/EA's performance -2 stars. Save your money and go buy something that won't frustrate you.
on December 2, 2013
I have had this game for a month and I still can't play it! It complains about some invalid parameter with my GPU. But my driver is updated. Everything is updated. And my GPU IS supported by this game! All my other games runs well! I have spent the entire month waiting for more updates and tried to fix it according to other people's similar experience. But it is still not working! THAT'S ENOUGH! I WANT MY MONEY BACK!
on April 8, 2014
Not as good as Battlefield 3 in my opinion. I can't put my hand on what exactly is different or wrong but everything feels very off.. The weapons don't quite feel right, the map designs aren't the greatest, and the game has been riddled with plenty of game breaking bugs and unoptimization.

Content that was paid DLC in Battlefield 3 sadly returns again in Battlefield 4. I believe DLC should only be charged when it's NEW content you are creating. When it's content you made to sell previously, then re-locking it for the sequel to sell again is a low blow. I am disappointed in DICE and EA.
on November 28, 2013
My first love was Battlefield 1942. Especially the secret weapons of world war 2. That jetpack was a like a cheatcode.

With Battlefield 4, I feel cheated and lied to. It is really frustrating with all the crashes, lagging and all sort of nasty things that shouldn't happen on a finished game.
It feels like a Beta not a finished game.

Perhaps BF4 was rushed into production in order to compete with Call of Duty Ghosts? I believe this happened once before with BF3. Didn't it take 6 months to fix the issues?

Wouldn't you say it would take longer to fix since BF4 is released on 4 consoles and the pc?

Renting the game first may be a good idea. Otherwise you may end up with something you can't get rid of. (hiv/bf4)

This game has potential to better than BF3, it's just not a finished product.