2 Year Data Recovery Planfrom After Solutions
- Your Rescue Plan documents will be delivered to you via email only to the address associated with your Amazon.com account and can be found in your account message center within the Buyer/Seller Messages.
- If your drive stops working, the Rescue data recovery plan will recover the data from the failed drive and return it to you on a new piece of external storage
- Covers new single-disk external hard drives of any brand when purchased within 30 days (receipt must be retained for purchases not on the same transaction).
- Free shipping for in-lab data recovery; 24/7 online case status tracking
- If your data isn't recovered, you get your money back
WD Elements 1 TB USB 2.0 Desktop External Hard Drive WDBAAU0010HBK-NESN
|Price:||$149.99 + $5.77 shipping|
- Enter your model number to make sure this fits.
- Simply affordable
- Easy to use
- USB 2.0 Hard drive
Frequently bought together
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
Have a question?
Find answers in product info, Q&As, reviews
Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.
Compare to similar items
This item WD Elements 1 TB USB 2.0 Desktop External Hard Drive WDBAAU0010HBK-NESN
WD 1TB Elements Portable External Hard Drive - USB 3.0 - WDBUZG0010BBK-WESN
Seagate Expansion 1TB Portable External Hard Drive USB 3.0 (STEA1000400)
WD 1TB My Book AV DVR Expander External Hard Drive - USB 2.0 - WDBABT0010HBK-NESN
Western Digital 2 TB USB 3.0 My Book Desktop External Hard Drive (WDBFJK0020HBK-NESN )
WD My Book Essential 1 TB USB 2.0 Desktop External Hard Drive
|Shipping||$5.77||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping|
|Sold By||Grand River Tech||Amazon.com||Amazon.com||Go ahead!||Thanksforyourorder||Marilyn's Galleria|
|Digital Storage Capacity||1 TB||1 TB||1 TB||1 TB||2 TB||1 TB|
|Hard Disk Description||Desktop||Portable||Portable||Desktop||Desktop||portable|
|Hard-Drive Size||1,024 GB||1 TB||1 TB||1,024 GB||2 TB||1 TB|
|Hardware Connectivity||USB||USB 3.0||USB 3.0||USB||USB 3.0||USB|
|Item Dimensions||4.9 x 7.01 x 1.42 in||3.2 x 4.4 x 0.6 in||0.6 x 4.8 x 3.2 in||1.9 x 5.3 x 6.5 in||4.72 x 5.5 x 6.7 in||6.9 x 5.56 x 7.94 in|
|Item Weight||2.24 lbs||4.8 ounces||6.4 ounces||2.6 lbs||1.96 lbs||2.97 lbs|
|Memory Storage Capacity||1 TB||1 TB||1 TB||1 TB||2,000||1 TB|
|Size||1 TB||1TB||1TB||1 TB||2TB||1 TB|
Designed with the same commitment to quality that made WD external drives the number one drives in the world, Western Digital’s WD Elements USB 2.0 external hard drives are the right answer for simply affordable add-on storage. Just plug it in to a USB port and start saving your photos, music, video, and files. Kit contains; USB 2.0 external hard drive, USB cable, AC adapter, Quick Install Guide.
From the Manufacturer
WD Elements™ Desktop External Drive - Simply affordable.
Western Digital's WD Elements Desktop USB 2.0 external hard drives are the right answer for simple, reliable add-on storage. Simply plug one in to a USB port and start saving your photos, music, video, and files.
WD quality inside and out - Designed with the same commitment to quality that made WD external drives the number one selling drives in the world.
Plug-and-play simplicity - Just connect the power and plug it into a USB port to instantly add more storage to your computer.
Designed to save power - Turns on and off with your computer. Enters idle mode when not in use. Utilizes a WD drive with power-saving WD GreenPower Technology™ and an EnergyStar compliant power supply.
Packaging - Packaged in a minimized way,recyclable packaging made from recycled materials. Preformatted for PCs - Designed for use with Windows-based computers. Can be easily reformatted for use with Macs.
Preformatted for PCs - Designed for use with Windows-based computers. Can be easily reformatted for use with Macs.
Available USB port, Mac OS® X Tiger® or Leopard®, Windows® Vista®/XP
Note: Compatibility may vary, depending on user's hardware configuration and operating system.
What's in the box
USB 2.0 external hard drive, USB cable, AC adapter, Quick Install Guide.
Top customer reviews
1) It doesn't have any clever "look at me" flasing/glowing/blinking lights. One tiny light in the back will confirm it is on. But you won't need to check because "it just works".
2) It doesn't have any annoying, auto-loading, "I know better" software. There are lots of great backup programs available (freeware, shareware and built into most operating systems). And, of course, you can always just drag-and-drop files right onto the drive.
3) It doesn't get hot. Heat is a killer for electronics so that is even more important than you might think.
4) It doesn't make ANY sound.
5) It doesn't take up much space. It is smaller and more compact than any other external drive that I have purchased.
6) It doen't have any goofy stands or attachments. It is squared on all sides except the back so you can position it any way you want to.
7) And finally, it doesn't cost much. Considering drive space for cost this is the best value I have ever gotten on a drive.
For reference I have purchased two Seagate Freeagent drives, a 1 TB MyBook and have put several old drives into external drive enclosures. All of them are still working. I also have passing experience with several others from work and associates -- I like the WD Elements solution the best!
After 5 or 6 Emails back and forth with WD they informed me to contact either my PC manufacturer or Microsoft to resolve the issue. After scouring the internet seems there are LOTS of people with this exact same problem under Windows 7 Pro 64 bit edition. (Most seem to have an NVidia video card as well.) Here's the fix (no thanks to WD):
1. Open Device Manager
2. Locate the Drive
3. Right Click - Uninstall
4. Unplug drive USB Cable and plug it back in
Transfers files at around 28 MB/sec. Other than this start up issue so far it's made a great back up drive.
Installation was was truly "plug and play". I simply took it out of the box, plugged it in, and it was immediately recognized by the DVR. I have since transferred about 200gb of content to/from it, and have watched content directly from the drive. So far, it is working perfectly. It automatically spins down after a few minutes of non-use, as well as when the DVR is powered off. It also spins back up automatically (less than 10 seconds) when the DVR accesses it.
One thing some people might not like: The case is designed to sit flat (as pictured), not on its side. There are four small non-skid pads on the bottom corners, but none on either side. There is no indication on the box, in the documentation, or on Western Digital's web site as to whether the drive will work properly on edge. As a general rule, WD drives are designed to operate sideways or even upside down (any X,Y,Z orientation), so this one probably will too -- but you'll need to provide your own non-skid pads.
Several similar Western Digital drives, such as the late model "My Book" series, now include a firmware-based CD-partition that is difficult to remove, and can cause compatibility issues with some devices. That partition contains backup software and utilities that are of questionable value in any case, and of absolutely no value when using the drive with a non-computer device (like the Dish DVR). The Elements -- at least at time of this review -- doesn't include any of that junk. (Note: WD does have a downloadable utility to remove the partition from the other drives, but if you don't want that junk then save yourself the time/trouble and just buy the Elements drive.)
*** UPDATE 8-24-2013 ***
Still using this WD Elements 1TB on my Dish DVR-622. I purchased in in December 2009, so it has been connected 24x7, getting regular usage for archiving and watching programs, for 45 months now! Still working perfectly.
*** UPDATE 11-10-2014 ***
Well, it has been another year -- and this WD Elements 1TB drive just keeps humming along. Still connected to my DVR-622, still connected 24x7 (note: It does correctly "spin down" when not in use and "spin up" when accessed), and still working perfectly!
I got 3TB worth of storage for the price of a 2TB External hard drive!
That said, let us talk about the performance of these drives -
1) Build and form factor - Nice sleek looking enclosures. All black, the sides are fingerprint magnets with a glossy finish. The top and bottom panels have a matte finish. Looks matter to me, even if it just an external drive. The microUSB and AC sockets are closely spaced with a small white indicator light besides them. All in all very compact, sleek, and aesthetically pleasing device.
2) Performance - I am getting constantly good speeds on these drives. Reads at 30MB/s and writes at about 24MB/s, which is good and fast enough for my needs.
As always, users have to be careful with all hard drives, internal or external. I am handling my drives with the utmost care. I don't want to lose any important data.
Finally, this drive is a complete value for money purchase. I say go for it if you are out looking for a large capacity external hard drive.
Most recent customer reviews
I use it to back up my data. The transfer process is slow but I am just happy that it still works.