Oil month Automotive Best Books of the Month Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Made for you. Learn more. PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day gifts Home Gift Guide Mother's Day gifts across Amazon Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Hostiles available to rent Hostiles available to rent Hostiles available to rent  Kids Edition Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now TG18PP_gno

Eleven Minutes: A Novel (P.S.)
Format: Paperback|Change

on October 20, 2016
Okay, a little bit about Paulo Coelho and the Warrior of the Light. On its surface, it's an easy read. However, to truly understand the life lessons that Coelho is outlining takes thought and soul searching. I am going through for the third time, reading one of the short chapters, and then determining how to best apply Coelho's words to my life. Definitely a worthwhile investment in terms of the money, the time, and the energy. A wonderful life learning tool.
on January 29, 2016
After reading Manuscript Found in Accra (which was absolutely mind blowing and a must read in my opinion), I came across this book at a book store and flipped through it.

Once again, I hit upon a simple read with pearls of thought and contemplation that staggered my senses. This book is more a collection of thoughts than a cohesive story and I found myself lost in them.

Many times I would stop reading after just one page left in awe contemplating what I had just read and how the lesson within the text applied to me.

If you're a fellow student of life and search for a deeper understanding and meaning to your time on this planet, then I highly recommend this book. I'm confident your experience will be similar to mine!
on December 31, 2017
Probably a generous four stars here, but it is well written, and full of good advice. And a bit of a spoiler that was at the end of the book that might have better been placed at the beginning: the meat of the book consists of a series of articles published over a three year period.

The book starts and ends with a shell of a story, but nothing more than a shell is given. It's like returning to The Alchemist, but instead of creating a parable to teach a series of truths about life, Coelho just puts his maxims out there. And they're good maxims, but it's not nearly as charming when it's just good advice for living.

In the end, it's worth checking out, and it's a quick read - just don't look for rich storytelling. I suppose the value in it is that Coelho is giving you direct advice for living your own story.
on February 16, 2017
I don't recall what I was expecting before I read this book but whatever it was the book wasn't what I expected. There was quite a lot of philosophy around sex and prostitution that some will call rationalization. I often felt as if the protagonist was observing herself but not quite participating in her life most of the time. I suspect that there were points made that went right past me, or at least I hope that there were.
I did enjoy some of her inner monologue and her growth and intelligence. She was a bright woman caught up in a foreign world, often just going with the flow, being trusting, and for the most part her trust was not misplaced. That is if you accept her points of view about being poor and being a prostitute. If reading about that life is likely to repel you then don't read this book. And if you're expecting lots of explicit sex you'll be disappointed, though there is a little of it.
In the end you'll likely have mixed feelings about Maria, if you have any thoughts at all.
on October 17, 2017
not a book you read & ignore...must take it in, process, massage the thought & let it become part of your being...quite a peaceful book...
on July 11, 2015
It's a Good Book, inspirational. I like some quotes like its all known "When somebody wants something, the whole Universe conspires in their favor." or "the act of forgiveness does not mean that he must accept everything"
It's an easy to read book, but I like to read it slowly because stop on some quotes, highlight, thinking about it, and so.
I recommend it for all people, especially YA.
on July 11, 2017
Great author with amazing insight. I recommended this to one friend, loaned to another and purchased for my son. Quotes equally from several spiritual leaders of different beliefs offering wisdom without condemnation. Loved this book.
on November 3, 2015
While there are enjoyable passages in Eleven Minutes, there are also superficial passages about female anatomy, the history of prostitution, and forms of sexual pleasure. I sensed that some of the research was lifted from Wikipedia.

The role of sex in a person's life is a principal theme. The book treats of desire, sexual arousal, and orgasm. Arousal and trance-like pleasure proceed from mere closeness and gentle touch; orgasm is achieved through gentle lovemaking, as well as from spontaneous, uninhibited forceful sex, and BDSM. Discovery of the clitoris and manipulation thereof are treated as revelation.

Eleven Minutes is, at heart, a love story. The reader is reminded (and not very subtly) that finding true love is a journey.

I really enjoyed The Alchemist. Eleven Minutes is not on the same level.
on March 7, 2018
This is the first Paulo Coelho book I have read (I know, right? Not even The Alchemist). As such I didn't know what to expect. I found myself caught up in Maria's story right away though. The allegorical angles came at me much later in the book. That's when I had to slow down - to step back and think about what the story meant; it began to have deeper meanings, layer upon layer.

The author's statements about the background to the book are fascinating! Gives a real sense of the genius who wrote this book, and had to courageously look within to do so.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on June 5, 2017
Love using this book to just pick up and open to a page. We use it all of the time. Each person picks a page between 1 and 133 and we read it. It is amazing how it relates to the person who picked the page. Love the work of Paulo Coelho. Wish I could meet him!