Oil month Automotive HPC Best Books of the Month Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home Gift Guide Mother's Day gifts across Amazon Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Hostiles available to rent Hostiles available to rent Hostiles available to rent  Kids Edition Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now TG18PP_gno

on December 17, 2013
The set up is the easiest thing in the world. The editing software is smooth and simple.

Pros:
- Great Quality
- Small in size
- Easy set up
- Comes with HDMI cable
- Can record last 5 minutes if you forgot to press record
- Can record commentary along with footage
- Can live stream

Cons:
- If you really are into editing videos, you will need your own editing software. The software that comes with this only has a few features. You can split clips, rename clips, screenshot clips, and that's basically it. You can't even make clips into a montage.
- The commentary is a great feature. But you can't edit your voice once it's recorded. So if you farted or sneeze and wanted to cut that out, it will be stuck there.
77 comments| 267 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on November 9, 2015
This is my second one. The first one I got from another company was bought new, but had scratches on it and could not get a signal to work for me. So I returned and ordered from Amazon. It was very easy to set up. Software was easy to understand. After about 4 hours of random use, it stopped working for me. I'll be returning this and looking for other solutions to my streaming.

****UPDATE 12/16/15****

So I gave this a shot and just asked for a replacement from Amazon. This is now my third attempt to use an Elgato. After a few days of the device and software working great, I logged on to start streaming and had no video signal to my monitor. I unplugged the HDMI that was running from the Xbox One and plugged it into my monitor. So there was no problem with my Xbox since I was getting video. I then unplugged everything and uninstalled the software/drivers, rebooted and then hooked everything back up and installed the software. I got another 1 hour or so out of the device before the screen went black on my monitor and the display screen on the software. I decided to contact Elgato's customer support and they had me do a lot of the stuff that I have already tried. I repeated every step that they asked me to do and continued to get no video. They had me run the Windows Reporter and send the file to the techs on two different occasions. It took a few days for them to contact me back both times and they could not find a problem with it. I decided to take it to a few different friends houses that currently use Elgato's for streaming and recording and the device would not work with their setups either. After telling customer support that the device did not work at my friends either, they decided that it could be a hardware issue. They wanted me to send it in and they would send me another one. This would be the fourth one. I explained to them how frustrating this was to deal with 3 times already and asked to be upgraded to the Elgato Game Capture HD 60 Pro for the frustration and time loss of video making and streaming. I simply got a "No, that's not possible." and asked for my address to do the return. Needless to say, I refused to send it to them and I'm returning it to Amazon. I will be looking into other capture cards and going with a different company. I really wish this would have worked out since Elgato seems to be what most Youtubers and streamers use.
33 comments| 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on June 14, 2017
Really great capture card for a variety of reasons. The size is perfect, it isn't any bigger than it needs to be, it's USB powered so you save an outlet, setup is very straightforward, and it comes with an adapter for older systems which I particularly enjoy. The recording quality looks as good as when you're actually playing the game and the file size is very small too, relatively speaking. I recorded 2.5 hours of footage in 720p at 60 frames per second and the file size was about 34 gigabytes, so you're looking at about 13.5 gigabytes per hour of footage at that resolution and frame rate. My only issues are that it will not downscale for recording, so if you want to record in 720p you cannot play the game in 1080p. The other issue I have is often when I am streaming, the audio and video of the game will get desynced if it goes for a long time. I'm fairly certain this is a problem with the streaming software though as the problem does not occur at all when recording. Overall, I am very satisfied with this product and may one day buy the HD60 if I feel like I need it.
on July 14, 2017
Overall a very very great product for game capturing. I use this for my PS4 and there's quite a few steps one needs to do before we can even record.
The first one is you must disable the DCHP settings on the PS4. Otherwise your screen will keep flashing "No signal." To do this you must do the following:
Go to [Settings] > [System] > UNCHECK [Enable DCHP] > Reset PS4
After that you're good to record, UNLESS, you plan on recording while you use a headset. If you do, you have to order a different cord that's not included with the package. This cord is known as the "Elgato Chat Link" cable which allows you to hear the chat/game sound in your headphones while also allowing the Elgato to pick it up as well. And IF you're using this Elgato, you also must buy a 3.5mm to RCA adapter as well as the cut link cable. All this JUST to record sound and chat with headphones.

Overall, very great product. Would be 5 stars if I didn't have to go through all the extra ordering OR if the package just came with the extra cords, but it doesn't.
on January 6, 2016
Bought this for my son and my self to record our PS3 and ps4 game play. The setup was very easy and the control is great. Even an 11 year old can figure out how to record, edit and share his videos on YouTube. This was the only product I could find with easy recording for the PS3. Would definitely buy again.

On a side note this does work with an hdmi splitter as the input if you have multiple devices to connect. We have 3 hooked up with no problem.
on December 17, 2017
When you select three stars for your review rating, Amazon gives you a description of "It's okay." That pretty much sums up this item.

It's better than other similar devices I've tried, but I still feel like the whole process is much more complicated than it needs to be. All I want to do is record video from my TV onto my computer. Why do I need to install some counter-intuitive software program? Why does it have to run the video through the device, reprocess it and resend it to my TV? This leads to all kinds of problems if you don't have all of the software settings just right, especially with older game systems. I was able to fix most problems by using an A/V splitter, but that was frustrating to figure out and I don't understand why it isn't designed this way in the first place. There were a couple of PS2 games I couldn't get to work at all.

Pros: comes with most of the cords you'll need, easier to use than other brands I've tried

Cons: still harder to use than it needs to be, bad software, introduces a small amount of display lag, expect to do a bunch of fiddling to get it to work with older game systems
on April 10, 2018
Once it gets running, it's a great device with decent quality. But on occasion, boot-up can be frustrating since the software will disconnect from the encoder if it doesn't have a picture right away. It will also drop frames if it notices "dead air" - such as interference in the picture. There is also a very slight lip-sync issue on some captures. The perk is that the Game Capture HD device can capture from older devices, specifically those only with composite (yellow / white / red) connectors in high quality - AS WELL as 1080p HD capture. This makes it great for "Let's Play" shows that run the gambit on platforms, a la "Game Grumps." But if you're looking to grab HD video in the best quality possible, you're better off going with a more modern or higher-end model.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on November 13, 2014
i love this game capture HD. it is so small in design and you can do a lot with it. you can record the following:

PC
Laptop
xbox
Xbox 360
xbox one
play station 1, 2, 3, 4
nintendo gamecube, wii, wii U
and you can even record VHS and DVD's.

the software is rather basic and you have just cut and delete for main editing. the setups can be a bit tricky at times and i do not feel they go much in depth with their setups from the website. you have to download the software from the website and they do frequent updates to it as well. i feel the best way to record game play footage is to use your usb mic and a separate audio recording software as the two generally do not like one another. often times in my gaming videos my voice will be shut out or vice versa and then have it come back when one or the other isnt talking.
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on April 20, 2018
Honest to god I've never regretted a purchase so much in my life. They say "you get what you pay for" which is why this makes me more mad than anything. I've had numerous issues with dropped frames, audio desync, lost recordings, and when it comes to streaming it frequently gets the aspect ratio incorrect and requires about 30 minutes to fix. The cherry on top is that my SD Capture Card cost 1/3 of the price but works 100x better than this. Most companies also try and reach out to fix issues while it seems like El Gato doesn't really care to hear criticism. Buy anything else, this is not worth your money.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on May 20, 2015
We have had this product for 14 months. My son makes machinima and streams with it. The performance is excellent. The software that comes with it is easy to use and works well.

Alas, we had the dreaded USB issue. It occurred at the 13 month mark, which is 1 month past the warranty. I made a youtube video demonstrating the problem and pointing out that it was common, which indicated to me that it was a manufacturing defect. I emailed Elgato explaining the problem and included a link to the video. They responded quickly. As soon as I provided proof of purchase, they told me to mail them the unit, which I did. They then emailed me telling me that they were sending me a replacement. The whole process took about a month, but I have a BRAND NEW unit.

Again, I was past the warranty and they still stood by their product.

First class company. Excellent product. I will definitely do business with them again and wholeheartedly recommend them to anyone in the market for a capture card.