Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now STEMClub17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 2,272 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 2,366 reviews
on April 2, 2012
My apologies for this long review. Hopefully, though, it will be useful to someone.

I've spent some time the past 2 weeks comparing competing products for transferring home videos into digital format on my Windows 7 PC for long-term preservation and so that I can edit the videos on my PC. I tried or considered three different products including this Elgato Video Capture, and one high-end video transfer company, all on the same Hi8 analog video cassette with a family video that is 15 years old. Along the way, I have gotten some familiarity with the various technologies available today for transferring magnetic tapes into digital form. I found out some interesting things, and thought I would share them, in the hope that it might help others.

First, and you probably already know this, if you have any video memories on magnetic video tape, you want to get them transferred into digital form onto your PC or DVD or Blu-ray as soon as possible, before the video badly deteriorates. This especially includes regular VHS tapes, Video8 tapes, and normal Hi8 tapes, all of which are analog formats and are particularly susceptible to deterioration starting after about 10 years. Somewhat less susceptible to deterioration are Digital8 (which is also recorded on Hi8 tapes) and MiniDV tapes, because those are digital formats. But even for digital tapes, it is still magnetic tape which deteriorates over time, and you need to get those videos off of there. Seriously, at the risk of sounding like a doomsayer, if you have precious memories on magnetic video tape, you need to transfer that video off of those tapes and into digital form as soon as possible, or risk losing them forever. It's not hard to do, and you'll sleep better at night when you get it done!

In my case, I have a bunch of precious Hi8 family video tapes recorded on a high-end Sony consumer camcorder between 10 and 19 years ago, and I am rescuing these Hi8 videos a little on the late side. I wish I had started this project 5 years ago instead. These tapes are still watchable, but they have developed some lines and drop-outs and "hiccups" and digital artifacts. With multiple playback retries, I can fortunately still coax out fairly high quality from these tapes.

A quick note: Digital8 and MiniDV video tape camcorders have USB ports on them for digitally transferring your videos to your PC or Mac. If this is your situation, there is NO need to purchase one of these video transfer products (like Elgato Video Capture). You will get the best quality, by far, by using a USB cable to connect your camcorder to your PC or Mac, playing back your video in the camcorder, and using any of a whole bunch of different inexpensive software products on the market that will allow you to capture video from the USB port on your computer. This way, you are getting the digital video in its original form, which is great. You will get worse quality if you use a video transfer product that captures the video off of the video ports on the camcorder, because the camcorder is converting the digital video into analog, then the video transfer product converts the analog back to digital (not ideal, for sure).

So, for the rest of this review, I will assume you have analog magnetic video tape (like VHS, Video8, or normal Hi8), in which case you need a video transfer product like this Elgato Video Capture or something similar.

A note about video resolution: The analog video tape formats (VHS, Video8, and normal Hi8) all have native video resolutions less than 640x480. All of the video transfer products on the market record the video from these formats at either 640x480 or 720x480. It doesn't really matter which of these two resolutions the product records at. The point is, all of the video transfer products record at higher resolution than the original video, so you are capturing all of the resolution of the original video when you do the video transfer, which is good.

A note about overscan lines at the bottom of captured video: As documented all over the Internet, when capturing digital video from an analog video source like an analog magnetic video tape, you will end up with some additional fuzzy lines at the bottom of the captured video. This is totally normal. When played back on a regular TV, these overscan lines are usually chopped off because they appear "below the bottom of the screen," but the digital capture grabs them. To get rid of those lines, you can crop or zoom in slightly when you do your video editing. Interestingly, this Elgato Video Capture device automatically does a minor zoom on all captured video to remove those fuzzy lines.

A remark about video editing: Two of the products below (Elgato and Hauppauge) produce video files that use H.264 compression. This is an excellent video compression standard for viewing, and is supported by just about all video editing software. However, if you are going to do significant video editing, you may want to use some video conversion software to convert these video files to uncompressed or MJPEG-compressed AVI or MOV files for editing. (There are many inexpensive or perhaps even free software packages that will do this conversion.) The problem with editing H.264 compressed video files directly is that the extreme compression, which crosses video frame boundaries, can cause problems for video editing software, resulting sometimes in digital artifacts or out-of-sync audio in the final edited video output. An uncompressed or MJPEG-compressed AVI or MOV video source file avoids these problems.

A word about using an outside company to make a high-quality transfer of your analog video tape: A search of the Internet reveals many companies that will transfer your video tape into digital form, and send the digital files back to you on a fairly inexpensive USB hard drive that you can supply yourself or that they will sell you. Some of these companies are better than others. A few of these companies are very high-end, using expensive video transfer equipment. I used one of these very high-end video transfer companies, using their most expensive Premium service, to transfer the very same 15-year-old Hi8 tape that I also tried at home with the video transfer products below. I discovered that the transfer done by the outside company was significantly WORSE (lots of lines through the video and tracking problems) than what I was able to do at home with the products below. I don't necessarily think this is the fault of the video transfer company. At home, I was able to use the very same Sony Hi8 camcorder to do the transfer that I originally used to shoot the original video tape. My suspicion is that, especially for older analog video tapes, it helps to use the same camcorder for transfer as you used to shoot the video originally, so that any idiosyncracies in tracking or video head alignment won't be as much of an issue. Just food for thought.

Anyway, as noted above, I have done an experiment over the past 2 weeks, transferring the exact same 15-year-old Hi8 tape to my PC using the high-end video transfer company (above), plus two different video transfer products at home (Elgato and Hauppauge, below), and I also considered a third video transfer product (Blackmagic, below), to compare the pros and cons of each of each approach. Here's what I found out:

Elgato Video Capture (this product): Gets the best reviews on Amazon for a relatively inexpensive product for video transfer on both Windows and Mac. It captures video at 640x480 resolution, which means it grabs the full resolution and more of VHS, Video8, and normal Hi8 tapes. This worked great on my 64-bit Windows 7 computer. I just downloaded the latest driver and software from the Elgato web site, installed them both, and I was ready to go. It's incredibly easy to use. It connects to any USB 2.0 port on your computer. There are really no settings; the software guides you through the very simple process, and it transfers your video to your computer as an MP4 file. In case you are curious, the MP4 file it writes uses H.264 compression at 640x480 resolution and (basically) 29.97 frames/sec (standard NTSC) and a video data rate of between about 1100 kbps and 1500 kbps, depending on the complexity of the particular video you transferred. The audio in the MP4 file is AAC format at 48 kHz 16-bit stereo with an audio data rate of 128 kbps. When capturing a 2-hour video, I ended up with an MP4 file that was 1.5 GB in size. This Elgato product scores big points for ease-of-use. However, the video quality, while quite good, is not as high as the Hauppauge HD PVR (see below), because of the heavy video compression the Elgato uses to make a relatively small MP4 file with fairly low data rates. If you look closely at the captured video from the Elgato product, you will notice some minor squares of slightly distorted color at times, where the video has been over-compressed. Also, as noted above, the Elgato Video Capture automatically does a minor zoom on all captured video to avoid the fuzzy lines at the bottom of the captured video. On the plus side, this saves you the step of doing that zoom yourself in video editing. On the minus side, it is cropping all 4 sides of the video slightly, which might not be what you want.

Hauppauge HD PVR: This product exists in two very similar versions, the Model 1212 and the Model 1445 Gaming Edition, but the functionality of the two models is identical when capturing video from analog video magnetic tape. Although designed for high-def video capture, it's by far the best product I tried for standard-def video capture as well. This product gets excellent reviews on Amazon, and rightfully so. It works out of the box on Windows (including 64-bit Windows 7, which I use), and also supports the Mac with separately downloadable software. The Hauppauge product captures video at 720x480 resolution, which means it grabs the full resolution and more of VHS, Video8, and normal Hi8 tapes. Like the Elgato product, the Hauppague is very easy to use, though the software give you a few recording options, unlike the Elgato. The Hauppauge connects to any USB 2.0 port on your computer. It gives you a choice of recording video in three different formats: .TS, .M2TS, or .MP4. It doesn't matter much, choose whatever format is most convenient for you; most digital video editing applications can handle any of these formats with no problem. In all three cases, the output file uses H.264 compression, is 720x480 resolution, 29.97 frames/sec (standard NTSC) and a user-selectable video rate between 1 Mbit/sec and 13.5 Mbit/sec. I chose 5 Mbit/sec, and ended up with a crystal-clear video capture with a variable video data rate of 20 kbps (MUCH higher data rate and much lower compression than the Elgato, which means a clearer picture). The audio is AC-3 format at 48 kHz and a data rate of 384 kbps (again, much less compression than the Elgato, which means the Hauppauge perhaps yields slightly higher audio quality). If these technical details sound confusing, it's not important. The point is, the video capture from the Hauppauge product is significantly higher quality than from the Elgato, at the expense of significantly larger output files, and like the Elgato, can be edited with most video editing software. (A 2-hour video capture on the Hauppauge gave me a 5 GB file, as opposed to the 1.5 GB file from the Elgato for the same video tape.) Note that, like most video capture devices, the Hauppauge gives you the full captured video frame, which means you end up with some fuzzy lines at the bottom, as explained above. You can eliminate those fuzzy lines during editing with a crop or minor zoom.

Blackmagic Design Intensity Shuttle: This is the cream-of-the-crop for video capture. It comes in either a USB 3.0 model for Windows or a Thunderbolt model for the Mac. It captures both high-def and standard-def video in full, uncompressed format, so there is no loss of video quality for compression. For true archival quality of your video memories, this is the Rolls Royce option. However, there are two trade-offs to obtain this quality. The first is that your uncompressed video takes a LOT of disk space. The second, and more important, consideration is that you need a computer that can handle the extremely high data rate coming from the Blackmagic device (since the video is uncompressed). If you run Windows, you need a high-speed computer using an Intel x58 based motherboard, a true USB 3.0 port, and the latest USB 3.0 drivers. Most computers don't meet this requirement, even when they have a USB 3.0 port. There is a list of officially tested motherboards on the Blackmagic web site. My 1st-generation Dell XPS 17 laptop (which has two USB 3.0 ports) does not meet this requirement, so I can't use the Intensity Shuttle, and thus I haven't tried it. Though not officially listed as a supported system, there is a YouTube video called "Intensity Shuttle and Dell XPS Laptop From Scratch - Tutorial" that explains how use a SECOND-generation Dell XPS 17 laptop with the Intensity Shuttle if you re-install Windows 7 and strip down the software running in the background to the bare minimum. Many people who want to use the Intensity Shuttle will buy or build a computer specifically for this purpose. If you don't already have a computer that is compatible with the Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle, and you aren't willing to invest to purchase or build one, or you don't need the full uncompressed archival quality video that is captured by the Intensity Shuttle, go with the Hauppauge or Elgato products, above.

I hope this comparative review is helpful to someone. Good luck, and good for you for transferring your precious older analog video tapes!
5150+ comments| 2,223 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 29, 2016
I used the Elgato Video Capture device and software to convert 50 family VHS tapes and 40 family mini DV tapes. I used the elgato's composite video (yellow), left audio (white), right audio (red) to connect to my VHS player for conversion of the VHS tapes. I used the elgato's S-Video, left audio (white) and right audio (red) cables to connect to my mini DV camcorder for conversion of the mini DV tapes. I had to supply my own cabling between the elgato and my VHS player as well as between the elgato and my min DV camcorder. All 90 tapes were converted to H.264 encoded mp4 files. Normally I would have converted the mini DV files using iMovie with my mini DV camcorder connected to my computer via firewire but my mini DV camcorder's firewire port failed years ago.

The conversion process basically amounted to simply connecting the Elgato Video Capture device to the player (in my case a VHS player or mini DV camera), launching the software, inputting the applicable settings, initiating the conversion, then leaving to do something else until the conversion was complete. I usually waited an hour or less, depending on how long I expected the video to be, then returned to check on the progress. Monitoring was easy because the Elgato software played the video as it was being converted. Once I was satisfied that the conversion was complete I stopped recording, used the Elgato software to trim any extraneous recording from the beginning and end, then waited a short while for the file to be saved.

The reduction in the file size of my mini DV recordings was drastically reduced from about 13 GB/Hr to less than 1 GB/Hr . My VHS recordings also converted to an MP4 video of less than 1 GB/Hr. There was no noticeable loss in quality.

In short I am very happy with the product and highly recommend it. Of course your experience may vary depending upon your hardware.

Hardware: Apple iMac (Late 2013) running OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan, Sony DCR TRV11 NTSC Handicam (2000), Magnavox VRT442 (1996)
on April 16, 2016
Elgato Video Capture, Capture analog video for your Mac or PC, iPad and iPhone, white GEEZER REVIEW: Typical geezers, we had tons of VHS tapes, family videos we took in the 80s & 90s. Retired now and downsizing into a tiny home, we needed to digitize these priceless memories. We'd used a VHS to DVD converter for a few tapes back in 2010, and sent copies of those DVDs to our kids as we completed conversions. But even DVDs are a burden to copy, store and play. We could have taken the DVDs and uploaded them as digital files to YouTube, but we really wanted to cut out that step, and find a way to transfer VHS (analog) video STRAIGHT to digital video files we could backup onto an external drive, and also upload to a private YouTube channel to share with our kids and future generations. We were thinking we'd have to bring our VHS tapes somewhere and spend $$$ to have them converted. But our Amazon search found a way for us to digitize them ourselves, right into our PC or phone! We needed a product with geezer-easy to understand, step-by-step directions. Elgato Video Capture nailed it: geezer-friendly instructions and streamlined, simple but excellent-quality equipment. Our colossal project turned into a breeze! It was such a great feeling, watching huge stacks of VHS tapes disappear. And as we uploaded the videos to a private YouTube channel and emailed our kids and grandchildren the links to watch these family gems from years ago it was really touching to get their reactions. They're thrilled with such a priceless gift that they can now anytime, anywhere. Elgato Video Capture wasn't the cheapest product we found for this, but also wasn't the most expensive. We've learned from mistakes in the past: for electronic devices it's always best to not go with cheap stuff, to ensure great quality and ease of use. The Todd And Debra Show Gives Elgato Video Capture: 4 out of 4 Geezer Thumbs Up!!!!
44 comments| 22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 19, 2016
All you really buy is a fancy cable (the software is a free internet download) and I thought it was pricey when I was doing my research, but the advance on line information indicated it would do exactly what I needed to capture various mediums of dated video and the price would certainly be way less than professional capture options for the data I needed to convert. I was extremely pleased with this method of capture from the moment I began using it. I wanted to transfer my old video to just a digital movie format (vs create DVD which I may not be able to edit). I may want just a few minutes of a much longer video clip and this gives me a format I can then edit in another program. The software is simple and straight forward. You can trim the leading and trailing ends of the clip before you save which I found very helpful as I reduce long videos into smaller events. You can preview before you start recording allowing perfect positioning. You can set a record time length (if you choose) so you don't have to babysit the process since it does capture in real play time. You are creating a second gen of the video (in the play and capture process) and not a true duplication, and I was prepared for a slight loss of quality. But for my purposes of preserving special outdated media, I was pleased with the results. and have already enjoyed a lifetime of memories and been able to share small clips with friends and family. I have captured all my videos, and am now on to offering my services to other family members. This has been a great winter project and I have the Elgato system to thank for that. I would recommend this to anyone wanting to do a similar project to preserve video that can be played on a device with component output ability.
on January 4, 2016
I looked for a long time for something to convert my old VHS movies to digital. I read reviews for many products and was not completely happy with any based on reviews. With my VHS tapes getting older by the minute I finally decided to give this one a try and risk the money. Even though this said it was developed for Macs but would work with PC Win7 or 8, it seemed to have the best reviews. I figured it would take me a few days to get it working. It showed up yesterday afternoon, I opened it, read the very brief instructions, downloaded the driver for Windows 10, downloaded the software, hooked it up to my old VCR, and within 10 minutes of opening it I was converting tapes. So if you have a Win10 PC, don't fear, this works great! I'm really pleased with the quality also. My VHS tapes are 25 years old, and most of them are a bit dark due to the earlier technology on Camcorders (this was one I bought in 1988), but the conversion software allows you to adjust brightness, contrast, color and hue. I was able to get good pictures out of all the tapes I converted so far. Within a few hours of starting I was posting 25 year old movies to facebook. I have a few tapes I took in to have professionally converted, I can't wait to compare them. I suspect the ones I've done with this device will compare favorably to those.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon January 24, 2010
If you are like us you probably have hours and hours of home movies that are slowly decaying on VHS tape. In the ideal world I would have all of our home movies on my computer where they can be made into DVDs or sent to a media player (I am using Apple TV with 160GB Hard Drive - MB189LL/A since it works seamlessly with my Mac). I happy to report that the Elgato helps to solve the problem of how I am going to get this media into my computer. I will say that there are other options such as buying a VHS/DVD recorder and then using software such as Handbrake to rip the content off of the DVD. I am sure there are others ways too... but using the Elgato Video Capture was the choice I used.

Pros-

- Easy set-up (less than 5 minutes)
- Cost effective
- Works for all media types - if it has a RCA or S-Video output you are in business - This includes a my mini-DVD video camera, Slngbox, DVR, or your TV
- Will record directly from your Tivo (see above)
- I didn't have any of the problems with the video/audio syncing
- Works perfectly with a Mac (PC users have other choices)
- Will publish directly to YouTube and ITunes

Final Verdict - Works perfectly for me and I couldn't be happier!
1919 comments| 394 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 1, 2016
I converted a tape from my camcorder to PC. There was serious frame skipping and the sound was very choppy - enough that I thought my old tapes were bad. I continued and converted to MP4. Interestingly, the MP4 sound was NOT choppy so this was due to the capturing video and sound concurrently processing. Being unsure of the cause, I then ordered the VIDBOX PC Conversion. It's the same - USB to composite or S-Video. However, this captured the same tape on the same notebook PC (3GHz i5 with Nvidia GPU) without sound choppiness during recording and also without frame skipping or chopping during record or the subsequent playback of the capture. Except for the frame drop I'd say visually on the PC the capture quality of the 2 was comparable. I returned the Elgato because of the frame dropping. One thing better about Elgato is there is a post-capture edit feature to trim the ends of the saved video. Otherwise the software functionality was comparable.
on April 17, 2017
I have had it on my To Do list for years to convert my old home movies from VHS & DVC to digital. I went around and around about doing it myself or paying someone to do it professionally. I can be a bit if a perfectionist and I was worried if I tried doing it myself I would be unhappy with the at-home quality compared to a professional service. I had such a large library of home videos that paying someone to do it was expensive. I was also concerned of how much of my time would be required to convert the videos myself.

I decided to research one more time doing it myself and make a decision. I wanted to purchase whatever I selected from Amazon, so if I was unhappy with the quality/process I could return what I purchased with no hassle and spend the money to have a professional service address. I spent some significant time online researching and the Elgato Video Capture was my final selection.

The Elgato Video Capture immediately exceeded my expectations. It was easy to use, the quality of video was impressive and it had some features I did not know I needed/wanted, but used frequently. I used it on a VHS player I had sitting in a closet in case I ever did convert these videos. And I used it with my old handheld DVC video camera. With both devices I connected the Elgato Video Capture between my PC and the device and it just worked.

I should state that I am in IT, so I did create a profile on my PC with minimal services running in the background to not impact this software or the process. I disabled virus software, networking, etc. making sure all the computer's resources (memory, processor, etc.) were available for the software and virus software or the network did not negatively impact it. In hindsight, I do not think this was necessary. After I converted my videos to digital using my special profile I did go back and make a few small clips of things without leveraging my special profile. I did not do long videos, but the short clips I did do were not impacted by the background services, virus software or network at all.

The software was so easy that I would convert a full video and then go back and make little clips from the video to quickly and easily share with people. I made clips of friend's kids on my son's t-ball team or at birthday parties, etc. and sent it to the parents and the now grown kids. I made clips of funny pieces of a video like my baby sister complaining at age 16ish about videoing her before she had a chance to get ready for the day and sent it to her and her husband. I could have edited the newly created digital video to make these short clips, but the Elgato Video Capture was so easy to use I felt it was quicker and easier to use it then my video editing software. I watched all the videos prior to converting them so I knew the start/end marks and could determine if I was recording everything or cutting into smaller pieces. I had a long video of my brother's wedding which I quickly and easily separated into Ceremony, Speeches, Bouquet, Garter, Cake Cutting, etc. for the final digital files. The software was so easy to use that this was not a hassle at all.

While watching the videos there were some private/adult conversations going on in the background where people were not conscious that there was a video camera recording not only video but audio. The Elgato Video Capture has a mute feature allowing me to edit the private/adult conversations out of the final digital format to not take away from the event on video or embarrass anyone. And the software was so easy to use I could go back and make clips of those private/adult conversations to share with others for a good laugh.

The Elgato Video Capture was so easy to use that I have converted a few things for friends quickly and easily to digital for them to have and share. I have had a few friends buy the Elgato Video Capture after seeing/sharing what I did and all of them have been extremely happy. I am confident in saying these friends are not in IT and did not do the special profile I previously mentioned.

I would highly recommend the Elgato Video Capture for anyone looking to convert home videos into digital format. I am glad I made this purchase.
on December 9, 2016
Used this to transfer about 30 VHS tapes to my IMAC where i could then edit, rearrange and convert to DVDs. It worked without a hitch every time and was VERY simple to use. Basically plug and play. I tried a competing Corel product (less expensive) but it didn't work with the latest OS operating system (despite an inquiry response to the contrary) Picked up the audio but no video. So I'm extremely pleased. I was fortunate enough to locate a 4 head hi-fi stereo vcr with an S-Video output so the videos really do look about as good as possible given the original VHS quality. Highly recommend cleaning the VCR heads first however. That made a very big difference in the quality of the recording. Very simple if you follow the youtube advice. One feature missing (small quibble but i noticed other reviews complaining about it) is the lack of a pause button while recording. You either continue your recording over the 30 second mistaken shot of your foot or you stop the recording, stop the vcr, save the recording and then start from the new spot. the latter process is tedious and since i plan to edit and rearrange the video anyway in I movie the lack of the pause isn't really an issue. The nice feature about this is you can stick in a tape at night, hit record, go to bed and in the morning your two hour VHS tape is on the computer. You "trim" the video cutting out the end of the tape with nothing on it, save it (a two hour tape on my Mac takes about 20 seconds) and you are ready to edit in iMovie. This is a GREAT way to bring back those old 80's and 90's moments to life. With movie editing software you can easily cut out all the nonsense which most of us have on the tapes (an entire play performance or entire BB game) , reduce the memories to a nice short film and burn a DVD for your kids, parents, etc etc. The software also lets you upload video clips directly into youtube which is a nice easy way to share short clips. bottom line. This product works great. By the way i found this bc my local apple store employee directed me to them.
on April 13, 2015
I bought this item to preserve my VHS tapes before they finally deteriorated. The item does as it is noted and does it rather well. The item is sold to work with both Windows and Mac. My experience with this item is only on Windows as I do not use Mac.

My Observations

You have the ability to test a tape and adjust both the audio and video before beginning to transfer a tape. This is a great feature which I used extensively to get the best results out of 20+ year-old tapes. Just click on the Preferences tab at the bottom of the Elgato screen to make these changes. When on this screen, also make sure to click on Preserve Original Format. This helps to preserve the synchronization.

Aspect Ratio - you can choose between 4:3 and 16:9 aspect ratio. Unless you are copying something that you know was originally shot in a wide screen format, you'll most likely want to use the 4:3 aspect ratio.

Black Lines - Upon playback of the material that was recorded to my hard drive, I noticed black lines appearing on the right and left side of the picture. Apparently, there is no way to correct this, which it should.

Contents - the capture device attaches to a USB 2.0 port. However, it seems to only work with USB 2.0. I tried it on a USB 3.0 port, which came with my current computer and would not be recognized. Thought USB 3.0 was backwards compatible. We'll see how this new technology evolves. Also included is an RCA cable that easily attaches to the capture device and to the outgoing ports on your VHR unit. The box says that the needed software is included. Instead, you have to go to Elgato's web site and download both the driver and the capture software to your hard drive. Not a big deal since we are getting used to downloading instead of receiving a disc as in the old days. Elgato apparently didn't see fit to print new boxes with updated instructions. Not good business practice. As with almost every manufacturer, a manual is not included, but can be downloaded at their web site.

Editing Functionality - The software includes a Trim feature which enables you to trim the ends of the transferred tape. This is fine if you have a bit of waste at the beginning and/or the end of the tape. However, there is no provision in this feature to take care of unwanted footage anywhere else on the transferred tape. I rarely used this feature as it is limited and instead used the option to save to Windows Movie Maker. If the software is ever upgraded, I would like to see an option to directly save to ANY video editing, such as Adobe Premiere.

Summary - Elgato Video Capture is a great device for anyone who wants to preserve their memories that were recorded so many years ago on tape before time and the elements finally deteriorate the video signals beyond usefulness. I give it five stars for what it can do and not for the few things that I would like to see it do, as mentioned above.

In summary, I find this product to do what it is intended. With a little trial and error anyone can achieve a reasonably good digital copy of their memories originally recorded on VHS tape.