Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals HPC Enlightenment Now Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Thor: Ragnarok available to buy Thor: Ragnarok available to buy Thor: Ragnarok available to buy  Three new members of the Echo family Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Paperwhite Game of Thrones: The Complete Seasons 1-7 now available on Blu-ray and DVD Shop now TG18_gno

Elizabeth I
Format: DVD|Change

on June 11, 2017
A superb, intelligent, and intimate portrait of the golden age of the Virgin Queen, with the magnificent Helen Mirren as the embodiment of Elizabeth I (one of her greatest roles, in my opinion). Very reminiscent of the BBC mini-series, Elizabeth R., as it more historically accurate than any of the other Elizabeth I films and has no problem showing the complexities and intrigue of her court. It also has no problem showing the extremely gruesome details of the more tragic nature of her otherwise glorious reign.The fantastic production is full of beautiful sets, costumes, and music, witty brilliant writing and great cast that make the historical characters come alive because they are so well cast. Extras include a few "making of" and history documentaries. A must see for fans of historical or costume dramas.
There is a string of effusive adjectives that can describe this film, but many have already been use, so I won't bore you with more. I found no flaws in script, casting, dialog, acting costuming, or anything else that draws one into the reality of a film. One can feel the Queen's fury when it explodes and her tenderness in her regrets. Best movie I've seen in years, maybe decades.
VINE VOICEon April 23, 2010
There are countless portrayals of Elizabeth I in film. Certainly, the best known and unforgettable of these are Dame Flora Robson, Betty Davis, Dame Judi Dench and more recently Cate Blanchett in Shekhar Kapur's "Elizabeth" and "Elizabeth: The Golden Age". In HBO's "Elizabeth I", Helen Mirren's portrayal of England's greatest monarch shows an Elizabeth who has now moved past the flower of her youth into middle age and narrowing prospects of using her virginity as a political bargaining chip on the world power stage. And yet it is no less a push by her Privy Council for her to find a husband and produce an heir and keep England safe and independent from a world that is far more Catholic than it is Protestant. Jeremy Irons is certainly a well considered Lord Robert Dudley, who was the love of Queen Elizabeth I's life. Irons and Mirren play beautifully off one another and the tenderness, even at times when they are at odds or at the passing of Dudley is a palpable thing both historically and on the screen.

The movie is well researched, and the portrayal of Mary Queen of Scots was far more acurate than the version by Shekhar Kapur. Mary Queen of Scots spent most of her life in France and would have a decidedly French accent rather than a Scottish one. HBO's producers of Elizabeth I thankfully did not omit this detail. Mirren gives a very good insight into a very complex and incredibly intelligent women who kept herself several steps ahead of her courtiers and ministers and someone who was very much the product of her father, King Henry VIII and mother, Ann Boelyn. Helem Mirren shows us a glimpse of a woman who loved and loved deeply and yet was not free to live as other women lived and had to make decisions not just for her own considerations but for the people and Country to which she considered herself married to first and foremost. No matter how you feel about Elizabeth I or the times in which England began to truly become an Empire, you can empathise with Mirren's Elizabeth right up until her legendary end.

If you are interested in history, particularly the history of the Tudors and Elizabeth I, this is a film that is definitely not to miss. An important thing to note to those who are concerned about violence in film/ There are a few scenes depicting graphic violence dealing with torture, punishment and execution of those who went against the Crown. The scene of the execution of Mary Queen of Scots showed that it took more than one strike of the executioner's axe to behead her. While all of this is certainly in keeping with the times, it is not for children or the squeamish.
on June 4, 2015
This is a very well directed series, with outstanding acting, cinematography, and costumes. It is well written and portrays the events reasonably accurately. On the whole the mini series is factual, but not always - for example Elizabeth I and Mary Queen of Scotts never met in real life, but they are portrayed as meeting in the mini series. The production does a very good job of representing the issues and the brutality of the Tudor Period, the love and conflicts between Elizabeth and the Earl of Leister, the stress she experiences with her Council over their desire for her to marry, and using spectacular scenery. There are issues with the show's timing of different events, but on the whole, the storyline is interesting and moves at a good pace. As someone who has taught Tudor History, I enjoyed the series and the production's focus on combining fact with entertainment.

If you enjoy historical novels, time period movies, movies that combine romance and drama, or enjoy seeing a well written, directed and acted movie, I recommend this mini series to you.
on February 4, 2017
Helen Mirrin the saving grace of this video. History greatly stretched our to allow multi seasons. But, worth watching.
on February 9, 2017
Great acting but lacking in describing and showing what she accomplished. Too much time spent on her love life and too little on how she transformed England into a major power
on March 23, 2013
Originally, watched this 4 part series on cable and loved it. I have read several books on the life of Elizabeth I and am fascinated by historical drama. I have watched both movies one Elizabeth I with Cate Blanchett, but this series is much better. Of course, the movies were made to interest a broader segment of the population and so fact was not their primary concern. This series delves more into the mind of Elizabeth I, rather than just the trials and tribulations of her life. It compares well with the previous series on BBC called Elizabeth R. In fact, it would be difficult to choose which series I like the best. I watch both regularly, as I'm a nut for historical drama, espeically those concerned with periods before the 1600s. I recommend this to anyone interested in the life of Elizabeth I and Tudor England.
on February 16, 2016
After watching Showtime's "The Tudors" I was hooked on this period in England's history. Elizabeth 1, for those that do not know, was the daughter of Ann Boleyn and King Henry the 8th. Queen Ann was beheaded by her loving husband Henry the 8th...unfortunately, Ann Boleyn was not quilty of anything King Henry charged her with but that did not matter to him...he had his eye on a third wife which sealed Ann Boleyn's fate. Anyway, Elizabeth the first is a finely acted two part series and I completely enjoyed the film!!
on July 13, 2015
Historically very inaccurate, but Helen and Jeremy are always good to watch. Costumes and sets were entertaining.
on July 23, 2015
Elizabeth came alive and was in my living room for 2 evenings. I felt her joy, rage and sadness and so loved this wonderful production. Thank you Dame Helen Miran and all involved in telling this personal Elizabeth I story. Wonderful, unforgettable "in our eyes."