Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Month Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Acoutsic Christmas STEM $34.99 for a limited time only Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on December 6, 2017
Fantastic writing, the perfect deep dive for experienced programmers who are new-ish to Ruby. I wish all programming languages had introductions this lovely and wise.

The Kindle version could be a little bit easier to read, but the material is top-notch.
on January 21, 2014
I love that this book explains very well what makes Ruby programming feel like Ruby. The author does a great job describing everything from coding standards (tabs vs spaces, naming conventions) that are common in Ruby and to more important features that are new to Ruby developers (like modifying classes at runtime, method_missing, blocks/procs/lambdas) in a very pragmatic way.

I would definitively recommend this book to any newcomers to Ruby that have already written a few Ruby programs. Don't make this your first book in Ruby/programming. This book does not give you an intro to Ruby, but rather, as the name implies, how to write eloquent Ruby assuming you know how to program.
on May 1, 2017
I have some background in Ruby (THAT IS ASSUMED WHEN YOU BUY THIS BOOK). This is a great book for refactoring and really breaking through the beauty of this language.
on May 21, 2013
I am delighted with the intended audience of this book not for a novice or ruby newbie but for some one who understands the basic syntax of ruby but doesn't get all the rubyisms. Unlike the bulky books like ruby way which are in the same light, this books takes a pragmatic approach. Not much philosophy and details but to the point descriptions.

Every chapter has something new that I vaguely know but don't completely understand, for instance symbols vs strings. And yes I am confused between the two and exactly as the author predicted I was trying to overwrite a hash symbol with its string equivalent. I am still 1/4 way but I am positive that this will be a great $30 investment.
on February 2, 2016
Great buy! I'd like to suggest though that this is not for someone who is completely new to Ruby. It's great for an intermediate learner/developer who wants to up his/her skills.
on April 4, 2017
I feel Ruby has become much more useful to me after reading this book. I haven't done too much with it yet except edit some xml file for which it was very useful.
on October 21, 2016
The way the book was written make it extremely easy to read and grasp Ruby. I've never read another book that made complex topics so easy and joyable as Russ did here. Doesn't matter if you're a Ruby master or a newbie (like me) I'm sure that's lot of things you can learn or do better with the amount of knowledge inside of this true masterpiece.
on May 13, 2015
Excellent book for a beginner in Ruby with experience in other languages. A bit shallow, but with enough information to make you feel comfortable about your overall understanding of Ruby once you are done reading it. I suggest complementing it another book that delves deep in design practices such as Design Patterns in Ruby by the same author.
on October 13, 2011
The approach of this book is really fun. The author does not get bogged down in introducing an exhaustive list of language features. Instead he zooms in on unusual, tricky, and unexpectedly useful features. He assumes you've had some basic introduction to the flavor of Ruby. For example, the only introduction I had previously read was "Ruby in 20 minutes" from the Ruby home page, and that was sufficient for me to dive into this book. Ruby itself is an elegant and powerful language, and this author's approach gives you a full-on experience of that. You could easily just read this book even without having a computer in front of you.
on September 28, 2017