Shop Auto Winter Products Salon Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New album by morrisey Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop STEM Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Despicable Me 3 available to buy Despicable Me 3 available to buy Despicable Me 3 available to buy  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

• Customer reviews

on March 15, 2011
This product is probably what you think it is. One of those loud, crinkly, reflective "space" type blankets. They're fairly cheap, and you get a lot of them. They're very useful for keeping a person warm if you know how to use them.

Some people complain that it doesn't keep them warm at all. This is most likely because they aren't using it properly. There are better articles for this information than this review, but essentially.. This blanket prevents heat-loss from radiation (which is how the majority of our body heat is lost). Radiation is when heat radiates away from its source. This is where the product shines: it allows hot pockets of air to form between you and the blanket. It doesn't do much to protect against conduction since it's so thin. Conduction occurs when heat transfers from one place to another by touching. When you grab an ice-cube, you are losing heat because of conduction. Similarly, if you are in a very windy area, while the blanket itself is wind-proof, the cold air can get under and inside the blanket, stealing away your warmth.

As such, when using this blanket, you should squat down and wrap it around you. By laying on the bare ground, there is no "dead air space" for the hot air to collect so, by the process of conduction, your body looses heat through the ground. This product works really well as a sort of "base layer" type of blanket. If you have a sleeping pad and sleeping bag, line the insides of your sleeping bag with one of these and you'll be toasty in no time. Just be sure not to start sweating too much, because of hypothermia and stuff. Even without those fancy sleeping bags, one of these covered by a wool blanket will keep you very warm. Just remember not to wrap the blanket to tightly around you. It is instinctive when you want to get warm, but it'll decrease the effectiveness and may rip it since it's so frail.

Five stars because it does what it is intended to do. And while it's quality isn't super, and it isn't made out of top-notch ballistic nylon, it isn't being marketed as if it were. It is intended to be a cheap, disposable cover to be used in emergencies, and it does that job wonderfully.
2,685 helpful votes
2,686 helpful votes
5150+ comments|Report abuse
on March 22, 2011
I purchased this product (Emergency Mylar Thermal Blanket pack of 10) to put some in my wife's car, my car, and an emergency kit. I have never used one of these before and I thought that they would just be an "okay if I have to" use. Boy was I wrong! I took one out at night (45 degrees F) to test it. It kept me delightfully warm, not hot, but a comfortable warm. I did not feel like I was wrapped in plastic wrap which I thought I would feel. I also tried to push my feet through it (holding on with my hands and with two feet pushing as hard as I could) and all it did was stretch a little but nothing serious. However once it is punched (with a knife on purpose on my part), it will continue ripping fairly easily. Over all this is an excellent, very light weight, cheap price to not freeze in a crumby situation.

FYI The blankets I received are made by B-H Supplies, a 52" by 84" (not 54" by 82" if it matters) and holds in 90% of body heat. Also it sounds like tin foil when you are moving around. My father added that in his survival training they said use two, one for the floor so your body heat does not escape into the ground and one around you while covering your head for maximum warmth.
1,331 helpful votes
1,332 helpful votes
55 comments|Report abuse
on January 16, 2016
These have great quality, and I just tested one here in the fridged and windy climate of the Chicago winter. If you only had a light T-shirt, jeans, and sneakers, this blanket would keep you just barely warm enough for maybe an hour or two. Use two blankets, and you'll be golden for as long as you have food and water. Since this comes with 10 blankets, and at such a low cost, I'm handing out spares to my folks and friends to keep in their roadside emergency kits (can you believe some people have a car, but no emergency kit?!).

I may just order another 10 of these, and craft something cool for a cosplay event or some such thing. The material is super thin (it's actually see thru if covering your eyes), super light, and way more durable than it looks (because it looks like tin foil, and that rips easily). I may even use it to winterize some old hats that lost their liners.

If you intend to use it like a see thru wind breaking face shield like in my photo, be absolutely sure your neck tiedown is loose to allow air through, and punch air holes where your mouth will be. If you don't take those precautions, YOU COULD DIE. Mylar can suffocate you if misused, so be super careful if you dare try that, and be sure to have a knife handy to cut yourself free just in case. Be safe out there.

All in all, I'm very happy with this purchase!
review imagereview image
41 helpful votes
42 helpful votes
on November 2, 2017
These came in the mail quickly and are as described, I received the exact amount of blankets that I paid for. I haven't used them yet because they are for emergency & I haven't needed them {thank God}. I keep them 'just in case' in my handbag, & in my glove box of my car. I keep one with me at all times for each of my family members including our precious dog. I live on the East Coast which has cold fall/winters with temps that can dangerously dip into the single digits. If we ever find ourselves stuck on the side of the road in our car during an emergency in the cold weather It gives me some peace of mind knowing that my family will still have some warm & protection until help comes.
on December 8, 2013
geat price and it beats walmart..I l use these for sopping bags trying to make several different types such as cooler bags with mylar on exterior and interior with layer of quilted fabric in-between. and those with mylar lining.. also use for feral cat warming by placing on sides and bottom of boxes, down-turned cardboard I slip a large trash ag over and turn toward house to break wind-force, and rubbermaid boxes with openings cut in either ends for escape from predators..i often place smaller cardboard into larger box for more support and cut out tiny openings..as well as rubbermaids the bottom lid can be taken off for cleaning interiors and covering bottom of 'houses' with straw [over the mylar as shiny surface frightens most cats who seem to perceive it as water.. I use various adhesives for attaching mylar to sides as the cats' own bodies will reflect heat as it works for people in emergency weather conditions--I would recommend placing a ten-pack in ones' car for such emergencies while traveling it makes lean-to's and works well keeping one warm..
0Comment|Report abuse
These Emergency Mylar Thermal Blankets are conveniently sized and can be used as a blanket or to make a shelter. These types of emergency products are an essential part of any overnight camping backpack or "Bug Out Bag" (B.O.B.) since it is important to be ready for the unexpected. While we do not plan on doing any camping in the near future, I picked up two of these and have packed them in our B.O.B. so we have them ready in case we need to leave our house in an emergency or experience an extended power outage (happens every so often in our area).

I like that these are so simple to use and do not require anything "extra" to work. These are very thin and work by reflecting your body heat back at you and protects you from drafts/wind so, to use these as a blanket, this should be loosely (not tightly) wrapped around you to create air pockets. When used to make shelters, several of these can be taped (should be in you backpack/B.O.B already) together to make a tent'ish structure to block light wind.

On the down side these are very thin and will shred fairly quickly if torn. They also "crinkly" and bright, so are not good for stealth/hunting.

This is one of those items that is better to have and not need than need and not have.

Highly Recommended!

CFH
on January 29, 2015
Like many people have mentioned in other reviews, I was shorted the number I paid for. They claim ten in a package, I got eight. I had to pay for the shipping back and if I had to do it over again, I would just keep the blankets because the shipping ate half the price. I don't know - do they just keep using the same blankets over and over and reship the incorrect number to people? Does someone at their plant not know how to count? I can't recommend this to anyone because I would rather have had the blankets. Maybe they count on people being satisfied with 8 and therefore save themselves some money? So, I did receive a refund - minus the shipping. Not worth it. If you are shorted, don't do a refund, ask for two more of the product.
3 helpful votes
4 helpful votes
Enthusiast: Woodworkingon December 13, 2016
I decided to build an Emergency Kit for each vehicle and this was an item I wanted to include. I tried one out while sitting on a chair on the patio and it does work which surprised me. If we have an emergency, it will come in handy. We are also going to include some in our 3-month food storage supply boxes.
on April 1, 2016
I used one of these for a thermal barrier between my air mattress and my sleeping bag. FINALLY something insulated my air mattress! I have tried everything to act as a barrier for my air mattress while camping. I read online to try a mylar blanket. It worked great! I wasn't as warm as if I were in my bed at home but I didn't freeze like I used to while camping in cold weather. I put the mylar on the mattress, covered it with a sheet and 2 wool blankets to keep the "crackling" noise away. It worked perfectly! Best camping investment I made to date!!
3 helpful votes
on May 14, 2017
I really love this product. It is a light weight way to keep warm in an emergency and for other occasions that require warmth. My accupuncturist uses them to keep me warm while the needles are doing their work. Light enough not to put too much pressure on the needles. It is light and easy to keep on hand in your emergency back back for disasters. I gave them as gifts to my family to keep on hand for disasters.