Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Emerging Issues in Forest Policy Hardcover – April 1, 1992
|New from||Used from|
The Amazon Book Review
Author interviews, book reviews, editors picks, and more. Read it now
Unlike some edited texts, the bridges between chapters are clearly demarcated and the content and scholarship are of a consistently high standard. In all the book is something of a feat. (J.A. Johnson Scottish Forestry)
Throughout history, forests have played a central role in the development of human civilization -- providing everything from fuel and structural materials to a multitude of paper products. It is, however, becoming increasingly apparent that the forests and their wealth of resources bear directly upon many of the most pressing social, economic, and environmental concerns of our time.
This volume draws together forty of the foremost experts in forest policy to address the diverse range of issues which characterize the intimate relationship between forests and humankind. These include the regional and global environment, timber supply, competitiveness and international trade, social impacts, multiple and competing resource use, and the Third World.
Five critical questions summarize the focus of this work:
- To what extent is the direct utilization of forests contributing to the decline of this vital resource, and how does the loss of global forests affect essential components of our ecosystem?
- How can we formulate and implement policies which will guarantee the continued supply of adequate forest resources for this and future generations, and, in particular, how critical are societal concepts of ownership and tenure to the achievement of this goal?
- How crucial are technological change and international trade in sustaining a healthy forest sector and dependent economy?
- How can we remedy the negative social impacts of our forest economy and integrate the management of our forests with other resources essential to human welfare?
- What are the central issues that affect forest practice and utilization in the Third World?
This comprehensive and timely book sheds light on many of the fundamental questions affecting one of the world's most important resources.
|5 star (0%)|
|4 star (0%)|
|3 star (0%)|
|2 star (0%)|
|1 star (0%)|