Customer Reviews: Emgo Handlebar-Mount Cigarette Lighter 86-44410
Oct16 Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 New Professional Skin Care Cozy Knits Book 2 or More Hours of House Cleaning on Amazon pbskids pbskids pbskids  All-New Echo Dot Introducing new colors All-New Kindle for Kids Edition Elvis Presley Shop Cycling on Amazon Save on select ClickTight convertible car seats

on May 29, 2010
I had to fabricate my own mounting clamp for this for 2 reasons.
1. clamp that came with the unit was too small for my 09 Honda VTX 1300R.
2. the holder itself looked weak due to plastic construction, VTX 1300 vibrates a lot.
3. it's larger(the lighter/socket assembly) than the photo shows and I needed the extra length to the holder for clearance.
The weatherproof cap is not too snug so, it may be better to leave the lighter in place. At least it'll keep the rain/water from going into the socket.
The wires that's supplied is way too short for handlebar mount, unless you want to splice into your existing system, like headlight, that comes on when the ignition is turned on...hey, when the lighter is not used, it won't draw any current any way so why cut into the wiring? Just get some extra wires and connectors and go direct to the battery positive terminal. You can put the ground(black wire) anywhere metallic.
For whatever accessories you plan to use this, make sure you have the right fuse installed for universal use. My rule of thumb is 150% of max amp the device uses. example: If device draws 1 amp max, I'll put in a 1.5 amp fuse. You might want to have some extra sizes handy for various devices, if possible. A 1 amp device with 10 amp fuse installed to be used for the most powerful device you got is NOT a good idea!
on February 13, 2011
The first thing that caught my attention, was the very-well written instructions. The assembly is very rugged and except for the exposed back-end should weather storms. With this being advertised to be handlebar mounted, it got me questioning why the manufacturer would leave the electrical wiring unprotected instead of somehow putting the connections inside somekind of screw-on sleeving. They do try to cover their tracks with a weak disclaimer in the instructions--something to the effect of "mount this in weather-proof area", but come-on, this is suppose to be mounted on motorcycle bars! Anyways, I slapped on a thick layer of liquid electrical tape around the entire back end and PRESTO the perfect 12V power socket.
on September 12, 2016
I mounted the lighter and wired it up. It blew the fuse. I installed a new fuse, inspected the element and tried again. Blew the fuse. I replaced the lighter element with one I purchased at a local auto parts store and it works fine, although it doesn't have the weather resistant cap like the original. I like the mount, but the bare wires sticking out the bottom could cause a problem in the rain. I coated the connectors with liquid electrical tape and used cable wrap to protect them better.
on May 15, 2013
I needed a socket for my gps and I smoke so when I saw this one I bought it. Very well constructed, so it should stand up to years of abuse. the only thing I dont like about it is the back has no provision to hide the electrical connection. I used a short length of 1 inchish heat shrink tubing to kinda hide and protect the connections, althugh on my bike they were pretty well obscured by faring , speedo, etc
on July 23, 2011
There are better more pricey units out there but for the price, it does what is advertised with one weakness--couldn't mount to handlebar due to clamp size and wiring length. Instead, mounted it on right passenger floorboard bracket which is within easy reach for wires to battery and charger for cell extending from right jacket pocket straight down to it. As for the exposed electrical wiring and fitting at bottom, black automotive vacuum tubing (available in varying diameters--split the side if you have to for fuse fitting) works great for covering wiring and hot glue for sealing it to exposed fitting connection. One caution: make sure when mounting, the cap hinge is positioned to the front of the unit/bike so if the cap comes loose at 60 with a 30 mph head wind it won't snap off like my first one did when mounted at the rear of unit. When I know in advance I'll be riding in rain, I add a wrap of electrical tape to the cap bottom for added sealing. Wouldn't recommend leaving lighter plugged in while riding or bypassing/excluding the fuse. Haven't had a problem with quality of the plastic clamp in 4 years of use of first one purchased. Never broke, always snug. Oh yes, bike mounted on: Rigid-mount '86 Heritage Softtail (lots of vibration). No problem recommending for purchase. Shipping was as advertised. Received within 4 days in original new packaging.
on May 6, 2012
Works like it should. Put on my 7/8 bars a year ago and still holds fine. Powers my gps and air compressor. The actual lighter is cheaply made and broke after 3-4 weeks. Bought another lighter and no problems since. It is one of the few made that can actually be used as a cigarette lighter due to the metal inside rather than the plastic many other outlets are made of. Overall, I have no regrets.
on June 24, 2012
This was purchased and mounted on a 2009 KTM 690R enduro, I had no problem mounting it in the ladder frame so the plug is just behing my Rt knee. I thought the wire it came with was a little lite for a lighter, but it works great. I can now charge a cell phone, MP3 player, air compressor. It is a little heavy but feels more durable.
on February 19, 2012
I installed this on my Harley so I would have a way to recharge my cellphone and digital camera along with a way to run my GPS when I went on trips. Mounting was easy and I was impressed with the metal mounting bracket as opposed to the plastic ones I've seen on the market. It really is intended for rugged service. Has a cigarette lighter with is but I do not smoke so I removed it however it does have a cap to go over the opening when the lighter unit is out. Only reason I didn't give it 5 stars is because of the minimal 8" of wire that came with it. I mean really? It mounts on the handlebar and it's 3-4 feet to the battery. I had to go buy some wire and splice it in to reach. Otherwise I'm happy with it.
44 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 6, 2012
At any speed I light my smoke as I take my ride down the hiway riding into......... nope not the sunset, not the local pub, does it matter. I got my smoke lit thats what. And I got the best price here at Amazon not Ebat
on January 30, 2014
I've purchased a couple of these now. Both times they arrived ahead of the promised delivery. The lighter itself is good quality, installs easily, and holds up. I bought the 1st one over a year ago and have had no problems with it. I bought a second one as a dedicated power source for my heated gloves. I'm a daily rider so they're subjected to the elements and after a year still looks and operates like new. I recommend the product and seller highly!

See 1 answered question