Save Big On Open-Box & Pre-owned: Buy "The Emperor's Club (Widescreen Edition)” from Amazon Warehouse Deals and save 25% off the $9.99 list price. Product is eligible for Amazon's 30-day returns policy and Prime or FREE Shipping. See all Open-Box & Pre-owned offers from Amazon Warehouse Deals.
The Emperor's Club (Widescreen Edition)
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Special Offers and Product Promotions
Top Customer Reviews
The story revolves around a teacher, William Hundert. He's a passionate man who loves what he does and hopes that he is actually having an impact on his students with his teachings. Things get complicated when he meets a new student, Sedgewick Bell. The kid is a troublemaker who cries out for attention with his actions. However, Hundert is convinced that he can turn him around and help him learn something from his class; not only that, but he hopes that he can learn something about life itself. Hundert believes in him so much that he is even willing to make a great compromise that will have an absolute impact in some way, whether it be positive or negative. The results are surprising and unexpected, but the overall product is an outstanding movie that makes you think twice about your life.
This was really a great film that had me surprised all the way. I had no idea how deep and effective it would end up being. When you see "The Emperor's Club," it actually makes you want to look at your life right then and there. You realize that you do want to live a life of honor, virtue and principle. We tend to live in a society that forgets about these important qualities sometimes; this being dubbed, "The Real World." However, this does not mean that we have to forget or overlook these things. It is possible to still have virtue in one's life.Read more ›
"It is not living that is important but living rightly. How will history judge you?"
Roman and Greek civilization teacher, William Hundert is magnificently played by Kevin Kline. Our teacher is a honorable and principled man, striving to inspire his students to be ethical and moral by being such a model.
Mr Hundert truly enjoys his work. Teaching young boys and trying to influence and mold their character is his lifes work and he is truly in his element.
"Great ambition and conquest without contribution is without significance. What will your contribution be?"
The story centers around Mr Hundert and four students, Martin Blyth, Freddie Masoudi, Deepak Mehta and a troubled young man named Sedgewick Bell. Martin Blyth, whose father is an alum and past winner of The Emperor's Club (A contest not unlike a spelling bee), feels pressure to replicate his fathers achievement. Freddie Masoudi is somewhat of a character and Deepak Mehta is of East Indian descent and academic background. Sedgewick Bell is an unhappy young man, whose father, as a U.S. Senator, has pretty much ignored Sedgewick his whole life. Because of this, Sedgewick has a knack for entertaining himself, usually by methods that get him into trouble.Read more ›
1) The acting is first rate. Kevin Kline was born for this part and shines. He articulates the drive and determination of Hundert perfectly. The young actors are also phenomenal and this is a breakout film for many of them: Emile Hirsch is everywhere now; Paul Dano is rising up as is Jesse Eisenberg (who was just in the Squid and the Whale).
2) James Newton Howard's score to the film is very engaging and definitely makes the pivotal scenes that much more powerful.
3) The theme is centered on character. Shutruk-Nahhunte is not known of today because he gave back nothing. He just did for himself and contributed nothing to society. Sedgewick "is" Nahhunte. Though on the outside, he seems successful, Sedgewick will probably not contribute much to the good of others. The other historical people in Hundert's curriculum are people who gave back or contributed something to their respective societies. They are remembered because they left a good legacy on life. It is hinted that the other students will go on to leave similar legacies, while Sedgewick will not. (Though in the deleted scenes you see how the director was trying to make this more evident; it just didn't flow well.)
4) As a teacher, this is a favorite of mine and perhaps that biases my review. (In a good way, bad way, who knows)? I have shown parts of this film in class with very positive reactions from my students. The film is unique; it shows the main characters young, and then shows how they end up later in life. Kids are always thinking about how they'll end up and I think they appreciate that aspect of the film especially. I also think it also shows kids that they can have fun in life, but should also be thinking of what their contribution to the world will be. We all should.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Excellent movie! It reminds me of the phase: "What Good is it for a man to gain the whole world, yet forfeit his soul?"Published 1 month ago by Isidro Gonzalez
This was recently given to me as a gift, and I had many conflicting emotions the first time I watched it. Read morePublished 1 month ago by TessaL
Please read no further, if you are concerned about "spoilers"....
This underrated film is basically about moral character and whether it matters. Read more
The colors in this DVD were brilliant . I noticed a huge difference between the DVD I purchased and the version I had rented from Netflix just before purchasing my own copy. Read morePublished 3 months ago by Amazon Customer
Good movie with great message. Valuable addition to video library.Published 4 months ago by J. Watson
Set up an Amazon Giveaway
Look for Similar Items by Category
- Movies & TV > 4-for-3 DVD
- Movies & TV > Fully Loaded DVDs > DTS
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Drama
- Movies & TV > Movies
- Movies & TV > Music Artists
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Universal Studios Home Entertainment > All Universal Studios Titles
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Universal Studios Home Entertainment > Drama