From the Back Cover
This beautifully illustrated text reflects the latest trends in art education and demonstrates how to motivate students to learn by integrating art with other content areas. Emphasis Art, Eighth Edition focuses on the intrinsic worth of art-studio experience through its Discipline-Based Art Education approach, as well as on the process of implementing art education into classroom practice. Useful for both general classroom teachers and art specialists, this popular text promotes art appreciation while providing a wealth of creative ideas and clear technical direction, including lesson plans that incorporate instructional objectives.
Features new to the eighth edition include:
- A new emphasis on integrating art instruction in the general classroom provides general classroom teachers with all the tools they need to include art in their daily teaching:
- New chapter (Ch. 8) on integrating art instruction and mathematics.
- Expanded chapter (Ch. 7) on integrating art instruction and language arts.
- Thoroughly revised chapters on integrating art instruction with social studies and with the performing arts.
- National Art Educators Association Standards appear on the inside front cover, with chapter correlations, so readers can readily find content relating to specific standards.
- In the Classroom and In the Community boxes offer specific lesson plans and topic suggestions for general classroom teachers on art instruction.
- Expanded emphasis on social and cultural issues, particularly in Chapter 9 (social studies) and Part V (Art Appreciation, Criticism, and Aesthetics), reflects the changing direction of art instruction.
- Fine art illustrations now open every Part and an art history timeline appears on the inside back cover, reflecting an increased coverage of art history. Note: we're not sure yet if this timeline is actually going to be feasible.