Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MozartintheJungle MozartintheJungle MozartintheJungle  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-5 of 5 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 12 reviews
on May 27, 2014
As a person who has been identified with "high-functioning autism", I can certainly recommend this volume to others "on the Spectrum" who are experiencing some difficulty finding suitable niches in life. It correctly identifies some of the more typically predictable pitfalls of inappropriate career choice for socially-inept persons. However, like most other volumes in this genre (self help for autistic persons), it falls a bit short by depicting the so-called Autism Spectrum as a linear one on which persons will fit fairly neatly into a "type".

Still, it is a pretty good exposition of the subject matter involved, especially given the fact that it was published in 2004. More has come to light since then about the particular challenges facing those of us who bear these particular diagnoses, but clearly much more remains to be discovered. As it is, I am sure that Ms. Fast's arrangement and exposition of those discoveries will result in a much-improved second edition.

Sadly (for me), that next edition will arrive a bit late. However, I have a son who has similar difficulties with social interaction. As helpful as this book has been to me, I trust that its update will prove even more helpful to him and others of his generation.
on December 16, 2016
SO helpful. A great guide for anyone who has nld or aspergers and needs to hear other's experiences to help them navigate life.
on June 15, 2015
Very helpful. This book finally made it clear that knowing what you don't want to do (and what you are not good at) is frequently one of the best ways to find a job that is a good fit.
on October 18, 2010
I'm 49 years old and never heard of NLD until my son (now 15) was identified with it 8 years ago. Through his journey I realized that I also have NLD. There are several great books for children and teens with NLD but this is the first book I've seen for adults with NLD. Wow, it's nice to finally have something to relate to! Admittedly I haven't finished the book yet but it's been wonderful so far. There's a section called "NLD Voices" in which individuals with NLD talk about their career history that really hit home! This is a great book for the older generation NLDers.
on January 5, 2012
We are finding the book most helpful.It is the first source that not only helps us affirm our own experience but also offers help in managing these conditions. We recommend it whole heartedly.