Lyft Industrial Deals Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

Format: Vinyl|Change

Showing 1-10 of 42 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 64 reviews
on March 31, 2012
Okay, first let me dispense with the obvious: this is another 2-CD live Iron Maiden album. There are a great many of these, and most of them are very good to great snapshots of an amazing band. Do you need it? No. Rock in Rio and Flight 666 offer the same sonic weight from the band and energy from the crowd found throughout En Vivo. So why might you buy it? Two reasons, I think. First, you're a huge Maiden fan and you pretty much buy all their stuff, regardless of whether of not you really need yet another live version of Hallowed Be Thy Name. That's me. Or second, you're a Maiden fan and you want to hear some particularly good live recordings you can't get on other CDs, or you're looking for some live versions that are clearly different from those found on other, earlier, works. If you fit this second description, En Vivo would go really well alongside Rock in Rio and F666.

For example, Coming Home is a great tune off Final Frontier, and the version on En Vivo is amazing, sonically. It has something of the anthemic power of Blood Brothers or Fear of the Dark, and highlights all members of the band. The Final Frontier and El Dorado are a great opening pair, too, much like Aces High/2 Minutes to Midnight or Wicker Man/Ghost of the Navigator. And you can't get these three songs on other discs.

Dance of Death is as good, or better, than what's on Death on the Road - and that's a great version of the song. Fear of the Dark is closer to that on Rock in Rio than F666 (and I think that's a good thing), and yet distinct. Listen to them both and they differ - and are both really good. 'Iron Maiden' offers a slight variation on the main riff, different from F666.

When the Wild Wind Blows is actually better live than in the studio - there's another one, along those others I mentioned, that make the album unique. Finally, Running Free's here, which was missing from F666, and I think it's a better live version than what you'll find on Live After Death (I know! Heresy! But the recording/production value is 20+ years newer, and picks up so much more of the song...like Rime of the Ancient Mariner on Live After... vs. the version on F666...the latter blows the older one away). And here's a random note: Adrian has a lot more wah in his solos on this album than others - it offers nice texture you don't hear as readily on RiR or others. I like the difference.

Anyway, it's a very solid album that you do not need, and yet will likely enjoy a great deal if you buy it. So Up the Irons and buy it!
on February 6, 2014
I did not know when I purchased this that it was a picture disc and if I had, I would have probably held off. I have read many reviews about the Iron Maiden picture disks and their substandard sound quality and this album is no exception. The volume of the album was the first thing that really caught my attention. The album was a lot quieter than any other black vinyl album that I own. I usually listen to my albums at 65 but had to turn up the receiver to 75 to match the volume of another new album I purchased.

The songs on the album are great songs and I love Iron Maiden but I wish they would release some quality standard vinyl pressings of their albums. I only paid $19 for this album so I do not feel cheated but If I would have paid more I probably would be very dissatisfied with the sound quality.
on March 2, 2015
Should be 6 stars. Anything by Iron Maiden is good, and I'm amazed they still sound so incredible live but they do. Production quality isn't the best, but decent I think. Maiden often has somewhat weak production. Who cares, blast it until your ears bleed and you'll enjoy the hell out of it! I have most of their live stuff, and I think this is the best since Live After Death for sheer enjoyment and feel of being at the show.
on December 30, 2012
So let me start by saying that I'm an Iron Maiden fanatic and own every album they've ever put out (even everything recorded during the Blaze Bayley era). I absolutely love this CD. There are a few selections, such as Revelations, Hallowed Be Thy Name and Powerslave that, quite frankly, were probably slightly better performed on Live After Death. The only reason is that the guitar solos differ quite a bit from the recorded versions, which usually I don't like. Also, I wish Adrian Smith had done his own solo on Moonchild because Janek Gers' solo is sort of all over the place whereas Adrian's original solo was more precise, but these are only minor gripes.

Now onto what's excellent: The Evil That Men Do is the best live recording I've ever heard of this song. They take the tempo up a notch, and Adrian Smith and Janek Gers absolutely nail the solo in unison. Listen closely and you can hear a slight addtion to the guitar part courtesy of Adrian Smith that I think is very cool. The Trooper is also a standout with Adrian and Janek once again soloing in unison.

This live recording also contains my absolute favorite version of Rime of the Ancient Mariner. Adrian Smith once again takes advantage of Maiden's three guitar lineup to add a few things to the guitar riffs, which I think absolutely enhances the song. He also changes his guitar solo very slightly in a way that I think is really cool, and Dave Murray pretty much plays the solo nearly identically to the recorded version. The same is true of Aces High during both solos by Murray and Smith. I think it actually sounds slightly better than the Liver After Death version, which I know is really saying a lot, but I'll stand by that opinion.

And then there are newer Maiden standout songs, such as The Talisman and especially Dance of Death (written by Janek Gers with Steve Harris) and The Final Frontier, that are included and make this CD an absolute must own. It's also a great value because it comes as a two CD set. Up the Irons!
on January 18, 2016
This review is for the 2LP Picture Disc, in fact if I had realized it was a Picture Disc I would not have bought it. The album itself is good, unfortunately it is let down badly by the absolutely terrible quality of the vinyl. Picture disc quality was always bad in the 80's, I had a brief hope in the 30 years since I last bought one that things would have improved.....not the case. The sound learn very heavily towards the treble end and is very quiet add to that a constant crackle throughout (Not Static) it adds up to a very poor release. It's only redeeming feature is the great artwork on LP1. If you want to buy this album to listen to get the CD.
on February 25, 2017
Leave your prejudice for picture discs at the door as this sounds fantastic. I mean rediculously great where you could be blindfolded and swear you are listening to a well mastered black vinyl pressing. Simply amazing. Then we have the beautiful gatefold and two shimmering round pieces of art that are some of the best looking picture discs I have ever seen. Wow, just wow, DO NOT MISS OUT ON THIS!!! As for the negative reviews, pay no attention. I have audiophile level equipment and this indeed sounds awesome.
on March 14, 2017
Awesome
on March 15, 2017
Love It. Great picture disc edition.
on April 9, 2014
Sound quality was really not good.

I listened for the first couple of minutes thinking maybe it was piped in music over their PA until I heard Bruce Dickinson finally start singing. Sounded like someone recorded this from the rafters.

I flipped the disc and the second side sounded a little bit better, but it is hardly a professional sounding record.
on August 26, 2017
Everything about this purchase was a win. The best live CD ever. Great price and fast shipping. You'd have be a Maiden fan to understand the headline.