Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Encore Technology Portable Cassette Converter
Your Garage Buy 2 kids' books and save Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Ryley Walker Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis DollyParton Shop Now

on June 10, 2011
What was I thinking buying this piece of junk? I based my decision off the previous reviewer's comments which were mostly positive. One thing he's right about, the tape plays very slowly. But worse, using multiple cassettes, with and without new batteries, the tapes warble so badly that it's unlistenable. Buyer beware!
on November 30, 2011
This may be the worst product that I have ever purchased. The set-up is easy, but the walkman is a piece of cheap plastic junk. The speaker stopped working an hour after I started using it, and it konked out all together after I finished recording about four songs. It keeps on shutting itself off automatically when I play a cassette, and yes I tested many different cassettes-same thing. I recall I had a cheap walkman years ago that did the same thing. And as for the recording and sound quality, just embarrasing. It slows down the audio and that of course is very apparent on the recording, and there is also low buzzing noise on the recordings. I was excited about this product as I have so many cassettes I wish to convert to mp3. But you get what you pay for, what should I have expected fro $24.95? I learned my lesson. I got this from a catalog that advertised this as one of their hottest sellers; I feel bad for anyone who is buying this for a Christmas gift. I will get my money back and seek out a better product.
on April 26, 2011
Pros:
1)Easy connection. You just plug it in, install the software, and follow the easy instructions, and before you know it, you just converted your tape into an mp3 or wav file to listen to.

2) Can be used to listen to your tapes the old fashion way like the old sony walkmans.

3) Can turn the built in speaker on if you prefer to listen to your tape while recording to your computer or record without listening to your tape.

Cons:

1) The only con I can think of is the tape speed seems a tad bit slower. For example, if I play a cassette on my old tape player, and then play it on this, the speed is a tad bit slower. Therefore, your digital file will have the same result. There may be a way to fix this in the software, but not sure as I have not become to familiar with the software yet besides the basic functions of recording and converting.
33 comments| 31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 23, 2012
I have tried three different products and ALL of them are defective. This is not only the worst tape-to-mp3 converter I have seen, but it is the worst electronic device I have dealt with. It is a piece of junk. I've taken the time to write to you only as as a well-wisher and to ensure that you don't have to go through what I went through with this crappy "thing". The player doesn't even turn properly.
on June 16, 2012
This is a total waste of money. Not only is the sound quality bad (as posted by previous reviewers), but the product itself adds buzzing and ticks throughout the music you're trying to record. It may be fine converting casettes to MP3 (never got that far), but it will make your recordings sound terrible. A total piece of junk.
on February 4, 2012
Like others have said, the setup and software is great and easy to use...the concept is great, but the sound quality is terrible! At first, I thought it was just a case of old tapes I was playing, so I tried the tapes in other stereos and they worked fine. The sound quality of this tape converter is so bad on some of the tapes that you can hardly understand it. I think I am going to return this to the company I bought it from and look for a better rated product, even if it's more expensive.
on February 24, 2012
The instructions should be clearer. But I got it working and got pretty good CDs of a book-on-tape.. I would not recommend it for classical music. This is a hand-held cassette player for pete's sake, not a stereo cassette deck. No Dolby, no metal tape settings. If it works for you and you wish to make better digital recordings of your old tapes, you should consider this an entry into the effort, not a final solution. Small price to pay to see what is involved.
I have converted hundreds of tapes and LPs by playing into the microphone input of my desktop computer. This gadget makes it much easier. My laptop and this baby on my coffee table. I might look for a better cassette player than this, with the convenience of the USB to computer connection. (Encore makes one....)
Some tips: Make sure you have the most recent version of Audacity- free download. If you cannot find the USB selection in Audacity's Preferences, make sure your USB from the Encore is plugged in, and play a tape so a signal comes pouring out.
Learn how to use Audacity- they provide a free tutorial- so you know how to save WAV and MP3 files, how to trim them with the Scissors and Trim functions, adjust the the screen size, move back and forth.
Turn the input volume way down (like to 10%) on the Audacity Input slider. Else the high output from the Encore will give you distortion with maxxed out waveforms. Your waveform should hit the top of the track just now and then.
Audacity does not burn CDs. Instead you export the WAV file (or mp3) to wherever you want it stashed. So you need to be familiar with CD-burning software- lots available free, usually something like Roxio or Nero is pre-installed in your computer.
Like other reviewers, I heard hiss and other "noise" that I think was not on the tapes I converted, but was due to the inexpensive tape drive.
Many tapes are 90 minutes, with two 45 minute sides, with usually just barely more than the 80 minutes a CD allows. Grrr. With careful editing by Audacity, clipping out silent and unnecesary sections, you may be able to get those tapes onto a single 80 minute CD.
Audio editing is a skill-set. Expect to spend some time getting better at it, solving problems as you go.
on June 10, 2013
This device would work well as a child's toy, or maybe to digitize old voice recordings. Music? Forget it.

Tape drive is weak (3V motor) and it was unable to rewind/fast-forward several of my cassettes. Older tapes weren't driven reliably even during playback.

Worse, the one I have puts out a thumping noise spike in the left channel three times a second. Throw in objectionable levels of hum and the resulting audio is unlistenable.

I got one as a Christmas gift, and my initial delight turned to disappointment very quickly. If you can't return it for a refund, keep the [adequate] software and throw away the cassette player.
on January 14, 2014
Spent an entire morning installing the software, making the adjustments for Windows 7, and recording 1 45 min. cassette. It cannot store files in MP3 until you download a program from the internet. That was a pain in itself. After the download, it still could not create an MP3 file. So, I stored my recording in its own Audacity 2.0 file. Guess what. It won't or can't open its own file. I'd send it back but I don't think it is worth the trouble. Do not buy this product.
on December 8, 2012
It didn't work at all and had to get my money back. There wern't any replacements available. I wasn't asked to return it so I've since thrown it away.