Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by Big & Rich PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 249 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 272 reviews
on September 29, 2013
This book is written by a Christian pastor so you will see a Christian view in this book.
I found the book to be somewhat "preachy" but comprehensive. The author examined a lot of aspects of the afterlife. So if you are looking for a Near Death Experience book, this book doesn't focus on just that part of the afterlife.
For instance hell was another subject addressed in this book. Purgatory, demons, and angels are some other topics.

Regarding NDEs, Mr. Garlow writes that not all NDEs are positive. Some reported experiences are negative.

My favorite section is Part Two- "What Lies Between The Worlds."

I was struck by the message or life changes of some NDE survivors that mirrors what Messiah gave as an answer to the question "what is the greatest commandment?" in Matthew 22:37-40. A lot of these survivors talk of God's love and they stress loving others.

The author provides Scriptural answers to many questions and aspects of the afterlife.
This book is definitely worth reading.
on April 27, 2014
This book is a collection of stories of people who have had near-death experiences in which they had visions or thought they went to Heaven or Hell, as well as other supernatural experiences. While interesting to read, the stories don't prove anything as they are all intensely personal experiences. One group of stories was about people who had been visited or contacted by a loved one who had died. I'm not sure that people can return to earth after death, but I know people do have supernatural experiences. I had a vision of my husband a few weeks after his death. He didn't say a word to me, but I just saw him standing behind me, looking young, healthy, and full of joy. I already knew where he was, but the vision did bring me a sense of peace. Whenever I find myself feeling sad, I remind myself of how joyous he is.
Encountering Heaven and the Afterlife by James L. Garlow and Keith Wall offers a Christian perspective on what life could be like on the other side. The book offers comfort and hope for Christians who have lost loved ones or facing their own death. You will read a variety of stories ranging from heavenly visits to ghostly encounters.

The book is a delight to read.

Recommend.
on September 10, 2014
I enjoy reading stories of spiritual happenings with others, I've never had an experience like these but they all foster hope and a desire to become a better person. The authors take so much time to pick the correct stories and to make sure that they verify the information.

Knowing heaven and hell are real should be inspiration enough for anyone to want to change their life and become more than they are. This is a wonderful read for anyone who questions their faith. And has been repeated many times...."I would rather believe and be wrong than not believe in God and be wrong."
on August 4, 2017
First story was great.... then the cussing started, including God's name in vain. Although it was "bleeped", I found it not something that I want to have to read. I'm not finishing it.... into the cloud trash bin forever. If I would have know this, I wouldn't have purchased.
on January 13, 2017
The book was interesting till about half way through and then the subject seem to change into more of an interpretation of the consequences of unbelievers who deny Jesus. I am a Christian who would to have liked more information of what to expect after we go to heaven. Otherwise, the book was OK, especially for someone who does not believe in Jesus and who doesn't think that hell is real.
"Heaven and the Afterlife" covers much more than heaven, hell and near-death experiences. It is actually quite a sobering look at eternity. Due to so many books written by those who have had near-death experiences I was surprised that this book did not contain more descriptions of heaven. A lot of time was spent discussing hell which can be a little depressing. Still I think this book was well researched and addressed important concerns and serious considerations. If you are interested in where you will spend eternity then it is worth the few hours it will take to read this book. Will you choose eternal life or eternal death? This book makes it clear that it is your choice. Some of the topics discussed include reincarnation, ghosts, purgatory, angels and visions. There are also some warnings about contacting the dead. If you read this book and are worried about your eternal destination then I can recommend a book I found called: Done.: What most religions don't tell you about the Bible. It will tell you how to go to heaven and help you understand the process of being saved.

~The Rebecca Review
on September 4, 2017
I found it difficult to put down! This was not so much a book about NDEs but a more biblical explanation of what to expect in the afterlife!
on April 4, 2016
In a time where every headline is dreary and full of the gloom in this world this book brought much light and encouragement to my days, especially after just miscarrying and having to go through surgery after much blood loss. The stories shared by these people gave me much peace and security in our Fathers words. Thank you for sharing such beauty for us to look upon.
on March 11, 2016
This book was theologically sound, but filled with illustrations and examples from the author's life experiences and the experiences of others. It was a little different from other books I've read on the subject, as it gave a complete panorama of the afterlife and many of the different views on heaven, hell, purgatory, etc., but at the same time was intensely real and told in a story format. It was fascinating, and I had trouble putting it down! It makes you want to get closer to God and trust Him and his Word completely.