- Hardcover: 1168 pages
- Publisher: Academic Press; 2 edition (July 1, 2009)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0123741440
- ISBN-13: 978-0123741448
- Product Dimensions: 8.7 x 1.9 x 11 inches
- Shipping Weight: 7.3 pounds
- Average Customer Review: 7 customer reviews
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #1,849,560 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Encyclopedia of Insects, Second Edition 2nd Edition
Use the Amazon App to scan ISBNs and compare prices.
See the Best Books of 2018 So Far
Looking for something great to read? Browse our editors' picks for the best books of the year so far in fiction, nonfiction, mysteries, children's books, and much more.
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
Customers who bought this item also bought
Awarded Best Reference by the New York Public Library (2004), Outstanding Academic Title by CHOICE (2003), and AAP/PSP 2003 Best Single Volume Reference/Sciences by Association of American Publishers' Professional Scholarly Publishing Division, the first edition of Encyclopedia of Insects was acclaimed as the most comprehensive work devoted to insects. Covering all aspects of insect anatomy, physiology, evolution, behavior, reproduction, ecology, and disease, as well as issues of exploitation, conservation, and management, this book sets the standard in entomology.
The second edition of this reference will continue the tradition by providing the most comprehensive, useful, and up-to-date resource for professionals. Expanded sections in forensic entomology, biotechnology and Drosphila, reflect the full update of over 300 topics. Articles contributed by over 260 high profile and internationally recognized entomologists provide definitive facts regarding all insects from ants, beetles, and butterflies to yellow jackets, zoraptera, and zygentoma.
* 66% NEW and revised content by over 200 international experts
* New chapters on Bedbugs, Ekbom Syndrome, Human History, Genomics, Vinegaroons
* Expanded sections on insect-human interactions, genomics, biotechnology, and ecology
* Each of the 273 articles updated to reflect the advances which have taken place in entomology research since the previous edition
* Features 1,000 full-color photographs, figures and tables
* A full glossary, 1,700 cross-references, 3,000 bibliographic entries, and online access save research time
* Updated with online access.
A Look Inside: Encyclopedia of Insects, Second Edition--Ladybugs
(Click to enlarge)
|Larvae of Asian Lady Beetle |
The ratio of leg length to body length varies according to diet
|Pupa of Orange Ladybird |
The pupa is usually formed on the host plant
|Eyed Ladybug |
Reflex bleeding is a defense mechanism to deter predators
2009 CHOICE Outstanding Academic Title
Top customer reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
I was initially disappointed because there are very few color photographs in the book. Other than that, it is very thorough and my husband has the background to understand and appreciate the information presented.
It is a very large, heavy book and not at all practical as a field guide.