Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating FFII_gno

Format: DVD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 116 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 197 reviews
on March 24, 2015
Few movies demonstrate the high aspirations of the soul of the human male. This movie exceeds mere demonstration. Instead, it truthfully depicts how amid human deprivation and human cruelty the souls of males, the souls of men, can aspire for and reach intangible grandeur though their bodies have wasted away. In such conditions in which the characters of this story lived, their aspiring to reach a nobler aspiration required of them to struggle against great odds to surpass degradation of inflicted inhumanity occurring during war as prisoners of war. As the story portrays even if one (a male) is the victim, to achieve true humanity, a quality never to be lost, if he were to humble oneself as Christ then his humanity is not a casualty of war.

This movie celebrates the culture of integrity of the British military tradition. God, country, and the refinement of study highlight this story.This is a heartbreaking story. But triumphant one as well.

Kiefer Sutherland is used, seen pictured on the front of the DVD, for his star power for advertising, but his role is supportive, in no way a lead.

At first the story moves at a rather slow pace. The subject matter very heavy. Able to capture my interest enough for me to see the movie through to its end I thought unlikely. Started watching the movie in the later portion of the evening and I became sleepy and so turned the movie off to go to bed, thinking I might not even finish watching it. Well a few days later I had about a hour to kill before attending to important matters, so I turned the movie on where I left off and was hooked. Could not wait to return home to finish the movie.

This story sliced through me like a double edged sword. It pierced me to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow. It had me evaluate the thoughts and intentions of my heart. My watching the film compelled me to weep. I wept like I have not wept in some time, cleansing tears. And I am man enough not to be ashamed to admit it to you.

Ended up purchasing a copy of the film to add to my collection.
on March 9, 2010
One of my Amazon friends initially recommended this film to me and after reading Ernest Gordon's powerful memoir "To End all Wars", I decided to give the film a try. Rarely has a film surpassed my expectations as much as this one did.

"To End all Wars" is a fictionalized portrayal of the true story of Scottish Captain (and later chaplin at Princeton) Ernest Gordon's coming to faith while a POW working on the infamously brutal Thai Burma Railway built for the Japanes in WWII. The film's subject matter alone gave it the potential to be a solid personalized War film. Afterall I liked David Lean's even more fictionalized "Bridge on the River Kwai" set during the construction of the same railway. In terms of drama though, "To End all Wars" blows Lean's film out of the water.

The acting is solid from about every member of the cast. Robert Carlyle gives a very memorable performance as a Scottish officer though frankly this film is full of excellent acting on both the Allied and Japanese sides. While not possessing a huge budget compared to many major films, the cinematography gives a surprisingly epic feeling to the film as well as captures both the natural beauty and inhuman brutality depicted. The film's musical score is very well composed and very appropriate. Especially at the film's conclusion, photographs and footage of the real Ernest Gordon and historical locations add a special historical quality to the picture (one interesting photograph appears to be the real Bridge on the River Kwai after being bomber by Allied aircraft [note: the River apparently had a different name at the time]).

What really caught my attention with "To End all Wars" was the film's graphic intensity and moral message. This is a film which like Saving Private Ryan tries to capture the hellish nature of war. In the midst of appaling work conditions and cruelty from their Japanese guards, charachters choose whether to forgive or hate. The film is generally from a Christian perspective and contains a strong religious allegory in one of the characters, though I think other reviewers were correct in noting that the filmakers played down some of the book's religious message. "To End all Wars" has a great deal of violence and cursing. However, neither is exploitative and are simply necessary gritty historical realities. At times, I came close to tears, not a common occurance for me in most films.

Overall, "To End all Wars" is a very powerful and well-made film. It is also a film which brings important topics about faith and humanity. I strongly recommend it though I caution viewers that it is realistically brutal and intense.
on November 17, 2014
This is the true story of a British prisoner of war who was forced to help work on the Thai-Burma railroad in 1942. The story tries to tie all the details of the approximately 142 mile railroad into the story of one group of prisoners. The author of the book was an officer of the group who found himself near death, and with help brought himself back to health. He found a group of fellow prisoners who wanted to learn and established a Jungle University. The Japanese camp commander did not understand what he was doing, and one of his fellow officers - who was bent on revenge and escape - did all he could to undermine the education effort. The whole story is one of personal courage and has a religious overtone with the one who helped the man survive and come back from the death house was a believer in the Bible. The book attempts to cover the whole building of the railroad while in reality the prisoners were placed in separate camps to build sections with many camps working at the same time. This is a companion to the old 1957 film Bridge on the River Kwai, and well worth watching. Another companion film is The Railway Man that tells another side of trying to survive and recover from the trails of this little known portion of the war in Thailand.
on May 6, 2017
The history involved is steller,what the greatest generation went through. The Cinematography 5 star the close up reality of Humidity disease,death in your face. This Movie can be rate 5 star as more telling in detailed with the Movie The Bridge over the river kwai with William Holden.
on May 27, 2013
This is one of the most powerful, moving stories you've probably never heard of. The realities of war are brought to life in this true story, and it illustrates vividly the best of man, and the worst of man. As brutal as it is, it has an ending that brings comfort. I've loaned "To End All Wars" out to several friends and acquaintances, and all have found it equally profound. I'm getting this copy for myself, since my other copy is in circulation with friends. Highly recommend.
on September 18, 2010
A true story! Very few stories are told so well of the life of a man, his war buddies, and the horrific conditions of a Japanese prison camp. It makes me angry to think that the Japanese have never apologized or attoned for the brutalities they inflicted upon SO MANY!! I am shocked to know they were never convicted of such attrocities and murders, yet the Nazis were; I don't understand it! Both empires were equally evil with no respect for anyone outside of their own. TRUE prejudice! I don't wish to forgive them their extreme viciousness throughout WWII, in and around the Pacific, to all manner of men -- women and children included (in China) yet that is the underlying theme to this movie -- forgiveness. I am overcome with emotions and tears each time I view this. I cannot get over this kind of forgiveness in the face of such injustice, evil, and wickedness. It is horryfying to think that men become SO brutal -- that they ENJOY the suffering of others -- it astounds me that they have no conscience left; they have become mere animals, NO . . . worse than animals -- animals don't maim and kill for sport -- they kill for sustenance; food. But equally compelling is the DIVINE grace and forgiveness of God -- the forgivness that Earnest (Ernie) shows his captors -- I am overawed at his ability to endure the torture while not being angry, but loving. I don't know that ANY MOVIE I have ever seen has even come close to capturing such a concept. BE PREPARED -- your life will be transformed by watching this movie. Who, of us, can complain about our lot in life after viewing this movie? And to think that Earnest Gordon became the Dean of Princeton's chapel -- how deserving he was of such an honor!! How many people in the ministry or priesthood could attest to such treatment and survival without bitterness -- ever humbled into submission. TV evangelist he was not! Too bad he never received more acclaim in his lifetime. Come cry with me and ponder . . . . . . . every time you see it.
on April 2, 2014
This movie is very different in that it depicts survival of horrible circumstances, in this case as prisoners of war, through inner, spiritual strength, and how this can change self-centered men and even some of the evil men who abuse you. There are some very brutal torture scenes, which the faint-hearted may want to avoid, but this shows what kind of evil these prisoners had to live under and how to survive enduring their very worst. All the actors portrayed their roles superbly, in my opinion, and I would recommend this movie to anyone who is looking for a deeper meaning to life amid their suffering.
on April 18, 2017
Heavy stuff but good...loved the way they affected their captors.
on April 1, 2017
such a gut wrenching movie. But wonderful performances.
on August 23, 2017
Arrived on time and as advertised