Your Garage Beauty Summer Reading STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 405 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 567 reviews
on December 12, 2013
Great book. I read the "mainline" Ender books, ("Ender's Game, Speaker of the Dead, Genocide, Children of the Mind, and Xenocide) and loved them all. I read Ender's Shadow and didn't like that line as much, so didn't follow that thread. Ender in Exile combines the two storylines, but is much more similar in style to the mainline. There were a few people and plot points that were confusing (almost certainly because they were from the "Shadow" story arc), but the story did a great job bridging the gap between Ender's Game's final chapter and the Epiloge, as well as between the Epiloge and Speaker.

As a side note, as a recently-returned veteran, there was a lot in this story that spoke to me personally. If you are looking for a gift for a recently-discharged veteran who likes to read (and most of us do, Combat Zones are filled with boredom), this is a great way to tell them "Welcome Home" and make them realize that they aren't broken for feeling a combination of shame, pride, confusion, and chronic boredom now that they are civilians. I am not sure if OSC is a veteran, but he certainly encapsulated a feeling that is only a few years younger than war itself.
on February 9, 2017
What was Ender up to after the Formic Wars and before he emerges as Speaker for the Dead? This book fills in a few details. The account of his life on Shakespeare is particularly rich, some of the other pieces a bit sketchy. The idea of skimming at light speed from planet to planet both allows Ender not to age and still have various adventures. Card is an excellent writer, and he has a knack for crafting rich and subtle characters. I give this book only four stars because I believe Ender's Game and Speaker for the Dead are superior stories, more coherent tales. But this is a fine book, and readers of the series will want to read it in its order.
on September 27, 2015
This series captured my heard as an 8th grader when I first read Ender's Game. I was happy to find out
(much later on, I admit) that there was so much more to the storyline! I have to say that I like the Ender's Shadow saga better, as I find Bean more interesting, but this one is also a must read. They aren't hard reads, though the later novels are a bit slower. Still, the universe that Orson Scott Card has created is vast and WAY ahead of his time.
Pick these up and read them over a couple of months, my favorite series of books since Harry Potter. But I definitely suggest you also pick up the Ender's Shadow saga as well.
I also like that the Halo video games blatantly took a lot of their ideas from this series. I really do love those parallels.
on April 24, 2017
While the scars of war persist, and Ender's effort to overcome them are doomed to failure, the events of the attempt are engaging, thoughtful, and interesting. Mysteries are revealed, spiritual depths explored.

My only caveat is that The character of Ender's sister isn't better developed. She seems too out of her depth and confused about Ender to be the sagacious historian we are led to believe.

This book is perfect for older teens. I thoroughly enjoyed it in my seventies.
on October 14, 2013
"A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away....," I was an avid science fiction reader. A 30-year Army career followed by 13 years as a high school history teacher put a hiatus on such reading pleasure. While teaching Military History, my students would often do book reports on "Ender's Game," and their reports piqued my interest in reading the book. When I learned that a film by the same name was soon to be released, I decided it was time to read the book. I did so and became hooked on the Ender series. However, because I like matters in chronological order, I decided to read "Ender in Exile" next. "Ender in Exile" is the last book in The Ender Quintet that Orson Card wrote, but it follows "Ender's Game" chronologically. I have not yet read the other three books in the series; so, I cannot comment on whether or not I made the correct decision. However, based on reading other reviews, "Ender in Exile" appears to fill in holes and tie up loose ends.
As a retired Army colonel, I appreciated the scenarios and leadership challenges that Orson Card presented. Readers of all ages and genre will enjoy "Ender in Exile."
on May 3, 2017
I read the Ender quartet straight though and then immediately picked up this book. I see all the 5 star reviews, but actually find this book to be slow, even boring, with a much less creative story line. Card seems to have written this book to appeal to a middle-school audience. It lacks the sophistication of Ender's Game and Xenocide. A pleasant enough read, but nothing that really challenges the reader.
on March 21, 2015
The Ender’s Game series was a beautifully and intelligently done series and I’m thankful I got to read it after all the books were released so there was no waiting. I read all five books in less than a month. I’m honestly a little nervous that any other science fiction books won’t measure up – that I won’t enjoy them as much as I enjoyed Ender’s Game – because I didn’t necessarily enjoy Ender’s Game for the science, although I did appreciate the heck out of it. Not only does OSC invent species, but he puts in the work to do so. The pequeninos have a completely unique method of reproduction and even death. The descolada have a completely unique method of communication. In fact, the pequeninos and the buggers each and also have their own means of communications, completely unheard of within the human species. DNA is a different thing in an alien species – able to adapt and change and send messages.

I have heard a couple criticisms of the sci fi genre – that alien species aren’t different enough, aren’t varied enough, aren’t thought-out enough. OSC builds the crap out of his world. I buy it and I learn from it and it speaks to my human exprience – and yours I’m willing to bet. I can’t imagine that many other works of sci fi will live up to my now-high expectations. Of course that’s not fair and of course I’ll try. Especially armed with the recommendations of readers much more sci fi familiar than myself.
on September 16, 2013
I just discovered Orson Scott Card, or perhaps re-discovered, when I saw that Ender's Game was made into a soon to be released film this prompted me to begin the first book in the 5 book set. I was immediately hooked. Within the next 3 days I had read the entire set. Exile offers the same detail as the first 4 novels and a continuation of Ender's story ~ the novel is rich in philosophy and the intricacies of conscience of the boy become a man. All the sci-fi bells and whistles are there of course. The reading flows, though there is some sluggishness to the early parts but before you know it one is carried away into the rich future of Ender's reality. I had to pay the price for the novel and have no regrets. Ender's story is right up there with Frank Herbert's Dune series in its' rich creation of a reality far different from our own.
on June 22, 2016
This book is a sweet revisit to old friends of Ender's Game. It's not very good as a story by itself--what little plot there is doesn't have much depth or even length. It's mostly emails and philosophical discussions by the main characters of the story. And the entire theme of the book is coping with life after your great work is done. There are some profound thoughts in there, but again, it's not really a story. Consider it a book length epilogue.
on June 20, 2014
While I do feel this is a good addition to the universe Card created so long ago, it is by no means perfect. In many ways it feels rushed. Parts of the book seem to end too quickly, or too cleanly. Characters don't seem as fully fleshed out as they did in past novels. While he states in his after thought that he feels he is a more experienced writer, I almost feel he is a more lazy writer. Our if nothing else, he does not feel the same way about his characters that he used to. To me, he feels like the George Lucas of books. Not an insult by any means, just an observation. However, it is still an invaluable read for any fan of the Ender Universe, and should not be skipped. It's a quick read, so well worth it.