Your Garage Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Amazon's Choice Computers Starting at $39.99 STEM Handmade Mother's Day Gifts spring Shop Popular Services henriettalacks henriettalacks henriettalacks  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Shop Now disgotg_gno_17

Showing 1-10 of 5,905 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 9,641 reviews
on May 4, 2015
When I was in ninth grade, we were taken to the library and told to choose a book so we'd have something to read between standardized tests. Instead of picking a book, I started screwing around in the library. Generally getting into trouble. Typical teen stuff.

The librarian eventually nabbed me, and asked what sort of books I liked reading. For some reason that I still can't explain to this day, I thought that all the "cool" kids read science fiction. So that's what I said.

"Then you should read this book," she told me, handing me a fairly worn copy of 'Ender's Game,' and telling me that she loved it enough to re-read it every year.

I wasn't thrilled with it, to be honest. The cover seemed kind of hokey. It smelled funny (hey, I was a kid). I had no idea what a "Hugo" or "Nebula" award might be. But the bell was ringing, testing would begin shortly, and I was kind of stuck for options. I checked out the book, and went on my way.

I've always been a fast test taker, and so about an hour into a three-hour test I was done and bored. I opened the book and started reading. And a two hours later I was done.

Up to that point, I'd read tons of books—mostly of the "Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing" and "Encyclopedia Brown" variety. This was the first "grownup" fiction I'd ever read. And I was hooked. I went on to read everything I could find by Orson Scott Card. I wrote tons of short stories as creative writing assignments, all featuring Battle School or Ender himself. And I took what was a sorta-hobby of writing short stories and "books" (very short books, I assure you) and ended up turning it into a lifelong pursuit.

And, like the librarian, I've taken to re-reading this book every year. I've given away more copies of this single book than I can count. And I've owned every English-language version of it ever released. It's a benchmark, life-shaping book for me.

'Ender's Game' was the book that taught me that books could be what you do for a living. And for that, I'm incredibly grateful. My only regret is that I can't give it more than five stars.
on March 19, 2017
Ender’s Game (1985) by Orson Scott Card is one of my top five favorite military science fiction adventure stories. The story is told third person, past tense, from Ender Wiggin’s POV. I haven’t seen the movie so I can’t say whether that’s any good, or whether it follows the book. I’ve read some of Card’s other books like Shadow’s in Flight (3 star), not nearly as good as Ender’s Game.

Starship Troopers (1959) (not like the movie) by Robert A. Heinlein is the book that got me started in sci-fi adventures, and has remained one of my top five favorite military science fiction adventure stories for decades. The Forever War (1974) by Joe Haldeman, Armor (1984) by John Steakley, and Old Man’s War (2005) by John Scalzi, round out my top five military sci-fi adventure stories.

If you like any of the above you might also like Jack Campbell’s (John Hemry) The Lost Fleet series, Taylor Anderson’s Destroyermen series, Andre Norton’s Star Soldiers, Andy Weir’s The Martian, or Frank Herbert’s Dune. Other sci-fi and fantasy authors I like include Douglas Adams, Isaac Asimov, Paolo Bacigalupi, Arthur C. Clarke, Earnest Cline, Suzanne Collins, Abe Evergreen, Hugh Howey, George Martin, Larry Niven, Patrick Rothfuss and Brandon Sanderson.
on August 29, 2013
This is another one of those books where I ask myself where was I when this first came out? Shamefully I didn't hear about it until this book until this year, now that the movie is coming out! (Hey at least I read and liked the Great Gatsby in high school)

I like dystopian novels, and I like a little science fiction here and there, but when a friend suggested I would love this book, and I read the summary, I really wasn't sold.

"In order to develop a secure defense against a hostile alien race's next attack, government agencies breed child geniuses and train them as soldiers"

Sounds very Independence Day to me. I really only downloaded this book on Kindle because it was discounted in the daily deals, and what a great plan on Amazon's part, because now that I loved the book, I have to buy and read the whole series!

Even though this is more of a YA novel, the way they described the alien race, what they looked like, how they evolved, how they lived, it was all kind of believable. I really need to believe in the plot when I am reading in order to get lost in the story. I loved the general relativity explanation for Mazar Rackham's part-of course that makes sense; I saw it on Through the Wormhole!

This was a great book and I can't wait to read the next one in the series. I hope Orson Scot Card doesn't disappoint.
on November 12, 2013
I chose to read this book because of the recent release of the movie. I did also know it was a really well-known sci-fi novel though.

My experience reading science fiction has been kinda weird. I have not cared for much of what I have read. I don't like Asimov and couldn't get into "Dune." I disliked most of the stories in this sci-fi anthology I bought (my first attempt at reading sci-fi). I disliked Terry Brooks's "Star Wars Episode I" novelization (not cause of the writing so much as the fact that it was EXACTLY like the movie, which I've seen multiple times, meaning I always knew exactly what was going to happen). I did like this one volume of steampunk stories I read, though, and the "Doctor Who" novels and stories I've read. I also liked The Hunger Games trilogy, Delirium, and Divergent. And I liked this book too, to an extent.

My main issue is the intensity of the book. It is not an easy read. The amount of violence is, I suppose, somewhat appropriate to military science fiction (though I wouldn't know, this being the first military sci-fi novel I've read). But after a while you kinda wish you could get a reprieve. Yeah, I get it, there's a war on - or about to be on - but poor Ender never seems to get a break. Just when he thinks he can rest, he can't. He gets pushed to his breaking point and beyond.

In a way, though, he ends up like Katniss or Frodo - the experience of war changes Ender, makes him so he can never be truly happy ever again. And I guess, realistically, war does change you like that. But Katniss at least got to settle down and have a family (with Peeta ugh) and Frodo got to go to the West with the Elves and Bilbo and lay down his burdens at last. Ender doesn't really get that sort of happy ending. Which is too bad.

The book is definitely engaging though, and well-written. Lots of good world and character-building. Good use of 3rd person omniscient POV for sure. Even Graff, who you very quickly learn to hate in this book, sort of gets redeemed in the end.

Would certainly recommended giving it a try!
As a science fiction fan, I’ve always heard of Ender’s Game but never took the plunge to read it. Why? I don’t know, but count me in now as a member of the club.

The author does a good job of painting a realistic future scenario, and getting you into the head of Ender as an individual that you can relate to as he matures. To me, this really wasn’t a space science fiction novel per se - although the main storyline occurs outside of Earth – but it’s more of a novel focusing in on the maturing of a child as he is forced to be an adult with a heck of a lot of responsibility on his shoulders.

Overall, I enjoyed the book and certainly received more in entertainment value than the $3.99 I paid for this book, but I wish there had been more development of the aliens and understanding of their perspective. I understand there are further books in the Ender’s Game saga to continue the tale but to me Ender’s story is complete.
on December 11, 2011
Ender's Game (Ender, Book 1)

I was captivated from start to finish. This is that book that once you begin, you will never want to put it down. Yeah, it IS that type of story. Orson Scott Card has done a tremendous job developing the story so well, that it just flows beautifully. The characters in the story are interesting, dynamic, and engaging. The book touches on the core of what it's like to be a child-genius, with what appears to be insurmountable pressure on the child-genius Ender. I found the book truly touching and thought provoking. Have a B.A. in psychology, I long for books such as this. I've only just discovered the book, but I discovered it is the important thing to savor. This book hit home for me and my childhood. Nowhere near the pressures that Ender had, but pressure none the less. I strongly recommend this book for all readers. My son is 12, and we are going to read it together and have an open discussion about the themes in it.

Thank you Mr. Card, for writing this book.

Excellent, easy read. Captivating!
on October 4, 2013
I am a reader. What this means is that for the past 40 years of my life I have read 4-8 books a month. I read all genres of fiction. So when I say I haven't read a book of this caliber in a long time, I mean it. The story is riveting, the characters are well developed, and from the first page I was sucked into a different reality. In four days I read the first three books of this series, and am saving the last one like a child who doesn't want all of his Halloween candy to finish too soon.

The book can be read on so many levels. It is fast paced and easy to read - a definite page turner. On other levels it deals with the issues of speciesism, religion and science, human belief system, and so many other levels of philosophical discussions. As you read the other books in the series, it goes deeper into these issues.

Even though the book was written in 1985, I feel it is timeless and it doesn't feel dated in any way.

I have already recommended this book to my two sons to read, and feel it would be a great book to teach in that it would be interesting and fun to read, and a great starter for discussions t afterwards.
on August 25, 2014
The characters (the kids, anyway) were sympathetic and detailed enough to be believable. The theme of military education/boot camp (one of my favorite themes) with a looming war with aliens has been an SF staple since Starship Troopers and before. The parallels between learning small unit tactics and larger, multi-unit tactics made for a good progression and story, however accurate it is in terms of military reality. Space combat, much abstracted, was more believably handled than many other SF treatments I can think of. The surprise concerning star fleet combat was a great one (I didn't guess/know about it). The use of the internet to advance a political agenda was an interesting sidelight, although not very fleshed out. For us computer gamers, the plot puts the possibilities up front. The plot also sets up the lead-ins for the sequels to follow, and I want to see what happens.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon February 19, 2013
Ender is the third child at a time when that is very unusual. In this near-future, children are bred with the hope that they will be military geniuses who can help the Earth defeat a species that has proved to be a formidable enemy. Ender's older brother is a genius but also a sadist; his sister is a genius, but too gentle to be of military use. So the family is told to bear a third child, Ender, a boy who is picked on by bullies and terrorized by his brother. But is there something there that might be useful? Like other kids, he is monitored and evaluated, and the book begins when Ender is approached by a military assessor. This will determine his future.

The story of what happens to Ender is fascinating and well-written. There is violence and cruelty and bullying here, but also intelligence, problem solving, heroics, and a thought provoking ending.

First of a series of four books.
on October 26, 2013
Easy to see why this is considered a classic! Great story about the training of a potential military leader with enough skill to save the earth from an alien invasion. Often told from the viewpoint of a child but not with condescension. Took me back to the first science fiction book I read at age 12 - "The Year When Stardust Fell" back in the 50's. (Interesting to note that book has been released by Resurrection Press and is actually available on the kindle for 99 cents so had to buy it for nostalgia purposes.) At any rate Ender's Game was able to generate those same feeling of wonder I had many years ago - not an easy task for this long jaded reader. I just got around to reading it in anticipation of the movie release next month. Let's hope they do it proud!