Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Celine Dion Water Sports STEM

on August 24, 2016
(spoiler alert)

Action. Suspense. Mystery. Exploration. Leadership. Survival. Willpower. Hope. Perseverance. This is Endurance.

It's been a long time since I've read a book that I didn't want to put down. Almost every chapter presented an impossible treachery to escape but by some miracle the crew would survive. As each peril would arise I would foresee some crazy possibility and it would often turn out even crazier than I had imagined.

The book, as amazing as it is, left out some of my favorite parts of the story. For example, when Shackleton, Worsley and Crean were making their trek on Southern Georgia island, Shackleton recounted in his own book, 'South':

"I know that during that long and racking march of thirty-six hours over the unnamed mountains and glaciers of South Georgia it seemed to me often that we were four, not three. I said nothing to my companions on the point, but afterwards Worsley said to me, "Boss, I had a curious feeling on the march that there was another person with us." Crean confessed to the same idea. One feels "the dearth of human words, the roughness of mortal speech" in trying to describe things intangible, but a record of our journeys would be incomplete without a reference to a subject very near to our hearts."
on August 24, 2016
This is an amazing story & worth the read. One of the greatest stories of perseverance.
on August 21, 2016
I read this book for a class in college. Well written and a remarkable story. This is certainly not my typical choice for a book but I'm really happy I read it. It is hard to imagine a group of men accomplishing what these men did today. I only gave it 4 stars because it really isn't MY kind of book, but it was easy to read. A few nautical terms were used that I wasn't familiar with but that didn't seem to matter. I highly recommend this. Great example of leadership, teamwork, patience, and hope.
on August 21, 2016
It was kind of boring for the most of it but it was still entertaining
I would still recommend this book
on August 20, 2016
The greatest story of survival ever...
on August 20, 2016
Like fiction but wasn't! Just an incredible story.
on August 19, 2016
Lansing's description of the Endurance expedition is second-to-none. Fascinating on every page, extremely well written and highly recommended to everyone, not just explorers and adventurers.
on August 19, 2016
Page turner. What a phenomenally good book. Cuts to the core. No nonsense, very well written. The author spares you the drama, emphasis and metaphors in his writing style and gives you the play by play account of what happened to these guys. The story and the crude details are enough to make for a fascinating adventure that does not need further dramatization or embellishments.

The only "critical" thing on my mind as I read it was "I wander how ever many more stories are out there that remained untold because the individuals did not survive to tell?". So the account is inevitably a tale filled with survivor bias. Then again, still a fascinating and inspiring story.
Excellent book
on August 18, 2016
One of the best adventure accounts I've read. Unbelievable men. Would I have that kind of stamina? Shackleton knew how to pick em.