Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Sanyo Eneloop Ni-MH Charger & Battery Pack (8x AA, 4x AAA) (3rd Gen, 1800x recharge cycles)
Your Garage Buy 2 kids' books and save Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis DollyParton Shop Now

on January 15, 2014
I was a little hesitant to purchase this package because many have claimed that this was not a 3rd gen Eneloop pack as pictured.

However upon receipt the packaging was in fact for the 3rd Gen batteries and it did in fact contain 3rd Gen batteries. It correctly states the # of recharges as 1800 times and also has the proper 3rd-gen eneloop labling on the batteries themselves indicating HR-3UTGB for (AA) and HR-4UTGB for (AAA).

Batteries arrived indicating 1.2 Volts per cell.
When fully charged batteries indicate 1.42 Volts per cell.
[Update on Mar 26, 2014]
My local warehouse Club now carries two versions of this Sanyo eneloop pack. Both say "Recharge 1800x" on the front. One version contains the 'HR-3UTGA' (2nd-gen eneloop) while the other one contains 'HR-3UTGB' (3rd-gen eneloop). This reinforces my suspicion that there is no difference between 2nd and 3rd-gen eneloop cells.

==== Original Review follows ====

I found this Sanyo Eneloop Ni-MH Charger & Battery Pack (8x AA, 4x AAA) package in my local warehouse Club. Despite the Amazon product page title that says "3rd Gen, 1800x recharge cycles", the batteries are actually SECOND-gen eneloop cells. They are identical to those from another package I purchased back in July 2010 (Sanyo Eneloop Ni-MH Charger and 8 Rechargeable AA and 4 Rechargeable AAA Batteries), before the so-called 3rd-gen eneloop cells were announced in Japan. Their part numbers are 'HR-3UTGA' for AA and 'HR-4UTGA' for AAA.

According to the eneloop.info web site (now owned by Panasonic):
The 2nd-gen eneloop cells have written HR-3UTGA (AA) and HR-4UTGA (AAA) on them, the 3rd-gen eneloop instead HR-3UTGB (AA) and HR-4UTGB (AAA). Also the crown symbol on the batteries itself is different: The new crown symbol has an additional line.

Does it matter if you are really getting 2nd-gen or 3rd-gen eneloop cells? Not at all! The fact is, in real life nobody can tell the difference between 2nd-gen and 3rd-gen except by their part numbers. The two versions have the same capacity ratings (Typ 2000mAh, Min 1900mAh), voltage profiles, and self-discharge rate. Even the difference between '1500x' and '1800x' is purely academic (if you recharge/discharge once every single day, it still takes 4 years to use up 1500 cycles). My guess is that Panasonic has gathered enough long-term data to justify a claim for longer lifespan, so now they can market the same 2nd-gen eneloop as '1800x'. That explains why on the package it says 'Recharge 1800x' even though the parts numbers are for 2nd-gen.

The charger in this package is either the same-old MQN06, or the MQN10 (which is just MQN06 with a cosmetic update). I dislike the charger for several reasons:
1. It charges in pairs only. That means either 2 or 4 cells at a time. This is most inconvenient if you have appliances that require odd number of cells. If the two cells in a pair are not equal in capacities, the lower-capacity one will be over-charged, which is bad for lifespan in the long run.
2. Its charging current is too low at 300mA for AA (150mA for AAA). That means it takes about 7 hours to fully recharge a pair of eneloop 2000mAh AA cells, 9 hours for a pair of Sanyo XX 2500mAh AA cells.

All things considered, this package is still a good deal, since you would pay about the same price for buying one 8-pack of eneloop AA and one 4-pack of AAA separately. So you can think of the MQN06 charger as thrown in for free. But in case you need a better charger, consider the Sony BCG34HRE4KN Cycle Energy Quick with Refresh Charger. It has 4 individual charging slot and LED indicator. It offers faster charge time, and added a REFRESH function. As a reminder, you can use the Sony charger to recharge Sanyo batteries, and vice versa.

[Update on Aug 3, 2014]
Panasonic introduced an improved eneloop charger (BQ-CC17) that can handles individual cells. Also newly introduced are the 4th-gen eneloop cells that advertise '2100 cycles'. Again, in real life nobody can tell the difference between 2nd, 3rd and 4th-gen eneloop cells except by their wrappers.

[Update on Apr 1, 2016]
Uploaded photo to show how to distinguish between gen1-4 of eneloop AA cells.
review image
1212 comments| 36 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 27, 2013
In general, I'll just agree with the thorough reviews posted by NLee and Sothum Sean. One caveat is that I, too, just purchased this pack at my local warehouse club (which rhymes with Schmostco), and it was as advertised - the batteries are 3rd generation (HR-3UTGB (AA) and HR-4UTGB (AAA)).

The difference *could be* that there were two packages selling under the same SKU - the one I purchased, with what I think of as the "classic" Sanyo labeled charger, and one with an Eneloop labeled charger (as is shown in the picture here). I chose the former solely b/c the latter didn't have the charging lights, as far as I could tell - I'm not sure how you were supposed to tell that the charge was complete. The packaging that included the Eneloop charger even showed a picture of the Sanyo charger on the back.
VINE VOICEon November 22, 2014
Some people want to use rechargeable because they're putting less in the land fills. Some people want to because they save money. I'm both, though probably lean more towards the savings benefit if I'm being honest with myself. Regardless, we've tried to switch to rechargeable when we could. After an awful, awful, initial experience with Energizer batteries a few years ago we almost gave up. They may have fixed it by now, but the biggest sticking point was their batteries losing charge in 2 weeks to a month. We've been utterly delighted to see improvements in holding charge even more than the charge cycles which keep going up as well.

Unlike those Energizers, these are specifically meant to hold their charge for years. It's not a complete hold, but will at least have enough juice to be useful at that point for most applications. We got these at a warehouse store to replace some nice Duracell ones that were meant to hold charge for about a year. See, alkaline batteries used to have the advantage of being useable right out of the box, but thanks to upgrades in technology batteries like these rechargeable can now boast that. Other than wishing the sizes were reversed so I got more AAA than AA I don't have any complaints on the batteries.

The charger annoys me a little. It is your typical average charger than can only do batteries in sets of two. You can do charge 2 AA & 2 AAA, 4 AA, or 4 AAA, but nothing else. This makes it EXTREMELY inconvenient for things that use an odd number of batteries. Our outside lights use three AAA batteries each and it means these can't be easily used to stop going with disposable. My favorite little Lenmar Egg charger can handle one at a time and is my go to for an old favorite MP3 player that just keeps on going, but uses only one battery at a time. Why can a cheap little one do it, but not this one? I also didn't like the lighting system. It turns green when charging and then off when charging is done so no light either means "I didn't charge anything." or "I fully charged everything." so it could be confusing. My several year old Duracell charger lights up red for charging and green for done. Simple, elegant, and effective. The batteries go in about as well as you'd expect, but may take one or two tries to get the hang of. As usual for this shaped charger, the AAA ones are harder to put in than the AA, but not as hard as the Duracell charger made it so that's a plus. Overall, I found the charger pretty much average at best. Maybe it has some great internals I don't know about, but user design it didn't impress me nor really tick me off.

Despite losing the boast of useful right out of the box, disposables still have two major advantages. They're able to hold more charge longer and they're able to output more power which means some devices can't use these. If you've ever wondered why you have a child's toy that won't work, but then you put the batteries in your remote and it's fine, it's because those disposables will output more power early in their life, then drop considerably towards the end. It's what makes the low battery indicator work so much better with them. Rechargeable will output a consistent power over their lifespan, then just suddenly die. So while these are getting closer, we'll still have disposables around for a good long time. I'm just hoping some day these will output the max disposables will. It's something we don't think about, but having the same sized batteries available over decades is an incredible thing. I can still start up old toys and devices from when I was a child and everything has stayed completely compatible.
on February 15, 2014
Sanyo Eneloop Ni-MH are far superior to all others. They have very low self discharge and are 75% charged upon purchase. I have purchased many in the last five years. All exceeded specs and all are still working well. I have a Maha C9000 charger/analyzer so I am able to read the true capacity of each battery, when new and after a few years. Every other Ni-MH battery I have used fails to meet specs when new, and has significant self discharge and short life.
on September 15, 2014
Very nice. I'm getting about 600 photos out of 4 batteries fully charged on my camera. That includes the flash and display screen which is on full time. Just the other day I inadvertently attempted to charge regular lithium batteries. The charger was smart enough to know it was the wrong kind. Other branded chargers weren't smart enough to know that and actually tried to charge the regular batteries. The Sanyo charger is the safest charger I've ever used and have purchased.

I'm so happy with these batteries I bought a second complete set for a non-profit entity to which I donated the entire kit.
on April 11, 2014
Excellent value for what one receives... the batteries alone are under normal retail and with the charger one can not help but come out way ahead. We shall see how well these batteries last and report latter.... but I give it 4 Stars now and will give it 5 if the batteries in fact are as advertised... long life and quick charging.
on April 20, 2015
These are great rechargeable batteries. I highly recommend them to others.

About a year and a half ago, I put a number of battery-operated devices in my home recently (hallway lights, outside lights, etc.) and I didn't want them to cost me a fortune in battery costs. I switched to rechargeable batteries to try to save money. I'll never go back to disposables—these batteries are great.

First, they last just as long as the disposables I had at the time. I put the last of my disposables in at the same time I put rechargeables in other, identical devices, and they lasted a similar duration. Recharging is easy with the included charger, though you have to charge two batteries at a time which is a bit annoying for me (my hall lights, for example, generally use three batteries each).

The best thing is that you don't need a fleet of C batteries, Ds, and AAs. You can just get AAs and AAAs (if you need AAAs) and use spacers so the AAs fit in C and D-size devices. Note, though, that AA batteries have a much lower capacity and will not last as long as C or D batteries would. That works fine for me, though, because my devices are generally low-draw (LED lights, etc.). I've recharged mine maybe a half-dozen times and they're still going strong.

Do be aware that this manufacturer, like many others, regularly releases new versions of batteries. The newer versions generally can be recharged more times and might have a slightly different capacity. You might want to double-check that you're buying the newest generation of product.

One last warning—if you're going to use these in devices that go outside, either make sure the device is truly waterproof or consider switching to disposables. Rechargeable batteries save money over time, but not if they get waterlogged and die before you get your money's worth. For some of my devices, I still use disposables outside in case water gets in. I'd rather a cheaper disposable battery be ruined by water than a more expensive rechargeable.

Overall, these are great batteries. They save money over time and are easy to use. I highly recommend them to others.
on September 28, 2014
These batteries are well worth the cost. They do not appear to have any memory whatsoever and have been great additions for my apple bluetooth keyboard, magic trackpad, and magic mouse. I have used other rechargeable batteries in the past and have noticed the capacity dropping after only a few charge cycles, these have been charged multiple times since I purchased them and last just as long as the first time I used them.

Sure they are a little more, but in my opinion, they are worth me not filling a landfill with dead non-rechargables.
on June 19, 2016
Anyone who has ever used a Sega Game Gear will understand why I purchased these batteries. The Game Gear, for those who don't know, is the most horrible, most beautiful handheld game console to hit the commercial market. It also takes 6 AA batteries and will give you about 3 hours of use before spitting them back out as worthless metal battery acid containers.

Not only are these batteries a great replacement for normal alkaline batteries, they are at a great price. You're getting a fair amount of batteries that will last many, many charges for fairly cheap. The only issue with rechargeable batteries is that they have slightly less voltage. Normal alkaline AA's and AAA's (as well as C's and D's) put out 1.5 volts. Just about every rechargeable battery you will find at a good price will put out 1.2 volts, including these. So that Game Gear, which would get 9 volts from alkaline batteries, now gets 7.2 volts. It still works fine and will probably continue to work fine (I suspect it uses so many batteries more for capacity rather than voltage, and may even have an internal voltage regulator, although I haven't opened mine up yet to see), but something like a flash light which only takes 3 batteries will be slightly dimmer. But then again, they make rechargeable flashlights now that have high-quality Lithium Ion batteries inside that will end up being brighter than the cheap stuff I have.

In conclusion, if you're looking for something to power your tv remote or wireless mouse or what have you, these will do you just fine and are at a good price.