Industrial Deals Salon Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch New album by morrisey Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon soul2soul soul2soul soul2soul  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on January 29, 2014
I bought these speakers an year ago during Black Friday sale for a good price. I happened to have 2 A/V receivers Yamaha V673 and Onkyo NR-509 and tested both by hooking and calibrating (patiently) one after the other! These speakers sounded phenomenal with both the receivers. You must resist judging them until they have played-out for about 50 hours (as the manufacturer recommends), as you will start to appreciate the quality of music that comes out of these speakers.

I watched the movie King-Kong by hooking it to Yamaha 673...boy..it was pumping my chest when the dinosaurs were running/falling and my family were amazed at the quality of movie viewing experience they got! For the price (even 100 more), I would recommend these speakers.

Some people have complained (or contemplated at least) about the sub-woofer power, but for me it's more than sufficient. Mind you, I have a 24 x 14 living room ( a good size) and these speakers fill the sound quite sufficiently. They looks classy as well.

One thing you might wanna try is keep your sub-woofer in a corner slightly behind your left speaker, the low frequency effect was something...ended up a getting a gentle complaint from the neighbor :-) . It is now hooked up with my Onkyo NR 509, which I got for a steal price, thank to Amazon ! These speakers sound great with it as well, especially the music. I bought a pair of speaker stands from an on-line company starts with Mo and ends with rice for just 11 bucks and it serves the purpose.

All in all, a fantastic set of speakers at an affordable price. Highly recommend this!
on May 12, 2016
So I have had this set for about a year now. I wanted to have nice speakers to go with a brand new OLED TV, but I wanted them to be somewhat affordable. I read the reviews on CNET and others and so I gave these a shot. I used to have a Sony theater system and these blow those out of the water. To my ear, these are very clear and well balanced and I can hear details in movies and songs I couldn't remember hearing before. It is great for movies and I do like it for music as well. I have it paired with a Marantz receiver which I had read are good for music so maybe it makes the difference. It does matter what the source is though. Blu-rays are great with HDMI hookup, streamed music and media is hit and miss. Quality of the video or streamed music really makes a huge difference. Doesn't sound awful, but I can tell the difference between new videos and old ones. I do have to agree with others about the subwoofer though, it isn't really loud. For the price though I couldn't be happier. They aren't perfect and if you are a phile, you know what you want and spend way more on your equipment, so these probably not be for you.
on January 1, 2016
This is my first "real" 5.1 speaker system (having upgraded from a HTIB), so I don't have a lot to compare them to, but to me they sound great.. The primary space I'm using them in is small (12' x 10'), but the sound is such that I can hear them throughout my whole 1000 sq ft home. I'm using them with a Yamaha receiver, Roku 2, Sony Blu-ray player, and Panasonic plasma screen TV. The only thing I don't like is the glossy finish that attract fingerprints and shows dust easily, but that's a small gripe for such a solid, affordable speaker system. I was considering these and the Pioneer SP-PK22BS, but I would have paid an extra $125 for the Andrew Jones set. These were the perfect size and right price, have great sound, and look fantastic.
on April 29, 2016
Wicked good set of speakers. I'm no audiophile or anything but I do know I got a great deal buying these. Very good quality, I mean really good. Solid,Heavy construction, great sound, wicked bass.....except for that danged bright blue light .... guys you gotta install an on/off switch for that thing .... I wasn't expecting this kind of quality. I think we're seeing the next Sony or Samsung type manufacturer here. Remember when we thought those were crap when they were new?? These are not entry level by any scale even though the price seems to indicate it,...... what a great value. My whole room shakes watching a Rambo type movie ... wicked cool.
on June 1, 2017
I bought a set of these 20 years ago, but sold them when I moved.
Energy replaced them with other models, but apparently the cult following for these speakers was strong, and they were brought back by popular demand.
I was fine with the Sony bookshelf speakers I had for many years, but when I saw these on sale I grabbed them for nostalgia sake.
Wow, huge improvement! They really do have a great, balanced sound stage. Good highs and natural sounding mid tones.
Voices are distinct, and the 8 inch sub woofer has a much bigger punch than you'd think.
Unless you're trying to fill up a huge space, the Energy 5.1 kit is still a great choice for home theater.
on September 13, 2015
As many reviewers have said, these speakers produce great sound and they look great too. I have them hooked up to a Pioneer A/V receiver with 95 watts per channel. I would have paid extra to swap out the 8 inch subwoofer for a 10 inch model to get extra bass. I have a pair of vintage speakers with 10 inch woofers, which I love, but they are way too big for the room. I think many customers would love the option for a larger subwoofer.

And while the mirror black finish looks great, be aware that the speakers scratch easily. If you are someone who moves frequently, make sure to hang on to the protective packaging. The subwoofer comes wrapped in a luxuriously soft fabric cover that you may find hard to throw away.

I removed one star from my review because the subwoofer produces a buzzing sound, even when not turned on, that can be heard in a quiet room. I think it is transformer noise. I moved it to another room for testing, but it makes no difference. It also does not matter whether or not the RCA cord from the receiver is plugged into the back. I read a review from another customer, with the exact same issue, who received a replacement subwoofer, but it had the same issue as the original, so I have not contacted customer support for help. My solution to the kind of annoying buzzing sound, is to connect the subwoofer to a smart surge protector, that removes power to the subwoofer when the TV is turned off. That should also save energy as well. I wish the manufacturer included that accessory item, so I did not have to pay extra for it.

Edit 10/2/12015: My solution to the subwoofer buzz was not totally satisfactory because the energy-saving power strip would only turn the subwoofer on/off with my TV (not my receiver) which meant that the TV had to be on to listen to music. I decided to contact the support for Energy speakers, and was told that the amplifier inside the subwoofer was defective. They sent me a replacement amplifier and after I installed it, the buzzing sound totally went away. I am very happy that this has been resolved and now feel satisfied with my purchase.
33 comments|Report abuse
on November 11, 2015
I had never really heard of Energy speakers before, I went off reviews on this buy and I'm not disappointed at all. They are pretty good speakers, not great but offers a good home theater sound. I have these hooked up to a Yamaha receiver. I did have 1 problem with 1 speaker in which the sound was just full of static and crackling. So I filled out a Warranty request, I really didn't hear anything from them for about a week. Then I got an email saying that my Warranty has been completed and the very next day I got a new speaker on my front porch in the mail. So Customer Service is good.

This isn't high or anything, you aren't going to get the great thunderous sounds you'd find with a more expensive kit, but they do a great job for the money. The only speaker that I really feel doesn't give off enough sound, is probably the center speaker. That out of all of them, is a tiny bit disappointing. The Subwoofer is awesome, I turned it on and went down stairs to see if I could hear anything, and I thought the house was going to come undone because of the amount of base it puts out. Subwoofer is great quality. I'll probably eventually get a better Center speaker, but the other speakers I have no issue with.
on May 18, 2016
I combined these speakers with an Onkyo TX-NR646. The sound is stellar and more than loud enough for 20x20 room. I would have given these 5 stars but about a month after I installed them I received a "Speaker Wire" error code on the Onkyo. I tracked this down and it was some looseness in an internal connector of the right front speaker. This was remedied by taking the speaker apart and moving one wire. Since this repair they have worked flawlessly. The sound is truly exceptional for a set of speakers for this price. I would recommend this product.
on October 27, 2013
I have only one functioning ear. As such, dialog is often difficult to understand even if the volume is loud enough.The center channel produces such clear voice that I understand even the whispers. My Bravia TV and all of my speakers are on a metal shelf unit to the left of my desk, (my hearing side). My office is 12 X 35 but my seat is only 3-4 feet from the speakers. I've had a KLH 5.1 system for the past 2 years and it was adequate, but far from stirring. I've wanted a Bose Acoustimass for a number of years and had the money to buy them, but decided to listen to all of the major reviews online.I bought the Energy Take Classics on a gamble. I also bought a Sony DH540 receiver and a Sony S5100 BluRay player. The complete system cost what the Bose 5.1 speakers alone would have cost. I love a bargain, but I was fully prepared to spend the money for the best in this class of equipment.
I can't envision being any happier than I am with this configuration. The sound is stunning, the action scenes get my pulse up a couple of beats.In two days, I have played my system about 25 hours and it is definately loosening up and sounding even better. I have stood back an additional 15 feet behind my desk and it sounds great from there as well. Unless you just want to brag about one brand or another, I believe you will find these as good or better than any that are even remotely in the price range. I haven't wondered if maybe I should have spent a little more and purchased the Bose, not even once. I am completely happy and spend most of my days now at my computer desk with movies playing.
4 helpful votes
on April 29, 2015
You would be hard pressed to find a better 5.1 Home Theater speaker system at this price !.
Amazing sound for such small enclosures though depending on source material you might need to set them to "11" at times.
I'm driving mine with a 700 W A/V receiver in a fair sized living room and works quite nicely. Speakers have both keyhole and 1/4 - 20 mounting brackets. Follow what others have said on the interwebs and run these guys for 100 hours of break-in, cause they just keep getting better and better.
One last thing, 14 gauge speaker is about the max size speaker wire these will take and I'd also suggest using open spade lug crimp connectors as threading bare speaker through the binding post holes is a massive PITA.