Industrial Deals Best Books of the Month Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home Gift Guide Mother's Day gifts across Amazon Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon westworldS2 westworldS2 westworldS2  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now Start your Baby Registry

on June 23, 2011
I was suspicious as this unit cost 1/3 of some of the wireless ones with the same feature sets. The electric company wouldn't give me the wireless key required by many, so I decided to try this little unit out.

If your breaker panel is jammed full it may be hard to fit in the clamps and wireless sending unit. In fact, mine had a horizontal bar for the main feed so I couldn't put it inside the panel, but clamped them right on the two mains coming from the street. I've ran and tested it for two months now, and am incredibly happy with the results so far. Each month it has been within 1% of what the electric company reported. Monitoring it has allowed me to find items that were plugged in but not being used (IE computer scanner, amp), that were still pulling 75-80 watts just by being plugged in. It also helped me identify that the hvac people mis-wired my AC system by watching the wattage pulls- my heat strips weren't working when they were supposed to, and my 1st & 2nd cooling stages were reversed.

It's easy to install/configure, only took me about 5 minutes to do it, and so far I've been able to drop my electric bill by 60% since I've been using it.... for the price you just can't beat it. Note that I have this setup to monitor the whole house, I didn't need to put it on any specific device as you can view each devices wattage pull by default when it's powered on. If you want to monitor individual devices you can, but you have to buy more sending units and I had no reason to justify the extra cost.
11 comment| 17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 11, 2012
Provides a basic, in house electrical monitoring solution, aside from going outside and viewing the electrical meter.

Configuring the Device:
1) Probably best to turn-off the power at the main breaker. Although I must say, I was extremely tempted to just clamp the clamps over the mains, at most wearing rubber gloves came to mind per one review. But being electrocuted once, I know touching electrical wires once either induces a death grip or immediate kick & blackout. I've also performed most of my house wiring myself to code, so I'm extremely safety conscience.

2) Make sure you know your house voltage. (ie. 110, 115, 120, ...) Using a volt meter, you can measure an outlet. Mine here in Alaska is 120v. (121v to be exact) The default setting of the unit is 115v, and could be reason for the inaccurate measurements posted within earlier reviews!

3) The "pair button", is the recessed button on the transmitter requiring a pen/pencil to depress. Have the wireless unit alongside the transmitter when first activating the unit.

4) Pairing the unit, can be as easy as turning on the unit, as I did without reading the instructions. However, you need to make sure the unit is matched voltage within step one above. Else, you'll find yourself back downstairs dismantling the box panel again to get to the transmitter pair button!

5) Find your base rate, but adding the cents per kilowatt including additional charges per kilowatt within your bill. (You can omit the flat rate charges, as they're likely minimal.)

Pros:
1) The connection is made within the inside electrical box using induction magnetic clamps wrapped around the two incoming electrical lines. The benefit of installing on the inside box, your not subjecting the wireless unit to abnormally cold exterior temperatures preserving battery life.
2) The monitoring is performed by induction magnetic clamps, unlike other solutions using a strap-on device to an electric company's electrical meter. Less possibly failures, including battery failures due to temperature extremes.
3) Can modify base rates, including hourly rates.
4) Can connect an external device for data gathering or dumping data. User initiated data dumping switch also can be programmed from the wireless device. Also, the spec is available/reverse-engineered or has Linux or open source computer program(s) to gather data remotely. (ie. [...])
5) The unit remembers time, base rate per kilowatt, and voltage (ie. 120v) if unplugged.

Cons:
1) Delay of 7 seconds before the wireless unit picks-up electrical usage changes. Sometimes the transmitter by skip a transmission.
2) Display automatically cycles through usage calculations every five seconds or so, and no manual switching between values can be performed. Must wait to see the value you desire for changes.
3) Found the device needed to be paired, after the initial pairing, because I didn't make sure the voltage was initially specified correctly. Also, on subsequent pairing, the device ended-up putting the usage on device #9, requiring a subsequent pairing initiation until the device was displaying usage on the first page of it's monitor.
4) Some of the instructions within the manual are not worded in basic English. (ie. Page 3, "please undertake the following"; Page 3, Used lowercase roman numerals instead of more common lower case alphabet for outlining steps.) Other than this, much better than most manuals these days.
5) Most Cons listed here, likely mean nothing to the end-user, as the end-user will likely read all instructions step by step, unlike me and won't see these issues. So these cons will likely be of more benefit to the manufacturer.
6) Lowest usage detected seems to be about 14W, and then ~34W, and then the unit starts to detect 1-3W differentials. Likely normal for the magnetic sensors/coils.

So far, I see my extensive basement florescent lighting is using a large sum of electricity. Also, likely including garage florescent lighting. The base rate for electricity here in Alaska is currently at $0.2283, which is about three times the cost elsewhere, making this device desirable and affordable.

Bottom Line: After my research on electrical monitoring devices as of 2012.12.12, this is probably your best bang for the buck. There are some more elaborate products, but they all have associated negative factors as well such as excessive cost, making this product the best option.

After a month or so, I'll try to follow-up on this review.

2012.12.13 - Went to the panel today with the wireless unit in hand with a flashlight and hunted down all power guzzling devices by switching-off all circuits within the panel(s) and switching each one on, while monitoring the display after each seven second transmission. I found the unit will zero-out, but will only start to detect usage at about 14W, the next detection is about 34W and then the unit starts to notice 1-3 Watt usage differentials. So, all those LED lit GFCI outlets and smoke detectors will add-up, as you switch each circuit back on, and then you'll see a spike to 14W after turning on say, the smoke detectors. Bottom line, I found the fans and the arrays of ceiling florescent lighting in the basement, garage and kitchen to be major users of electricity. Including the computer and TV when left on. Of these devices, when they're left needlessly on, will add significantly to the monthly bill. Also, the water pump (of which I already knew) and surprisingly the Microwave are also guzzlers. Water pump for ground water well is intermittent as is the septic lift station pump. But I can only imagine defrosting and cooking large roasts within the microwave. I'm running back to using my wood stove here in Alaska, due to energy costs. Far cheaper.
on April 6, 2017
Love this thing! Bought because I have a 22 Kw Generac generator and wanted to know how much power I was using so that I didn't overload the generator. It works on and off generator power and ended up being a good tool to cut $75 a month off my power bill from all the things the kinds and I had plugged in an running that weren't really necessary to be. Hooked up easy both in the panel and the desktop unit. I put the transmitter on the wall then ran the clamp wires into the panel to the hot legs through a knock out on the bottom, to make changing the batteries easier, but have had it 2 years and haven't had to change the batteries yet!
review image
on March 24, 2016
The setup was pretty easy. The reason for the rating were a few things.
- Instruction manual is very basic.
- All parts shown in the picture did not come with the device
- Software on the site does not have comprehensive manuals
All of these items are kind of crucial for making or breaking the product

Reasons why I like the item:
- Contacted by the company prior to me getting the device. Very focused on customer service.
- When I informed them of the missing item in the picture, they sent me the part.
- The device is monitoring as designed.

This is not a bad device, it would just make a world of difference if you could hook it up to a computer and have software running on that computer. It appears that most of their focus is on getting an additional device to have all the data uploaded to the internet. I like to be able to have the control of reporting and other features running on my home server, not from the internet. I do understand that people would like to monitor and manage over the internet as well.
on July 23, 2015
I was skeptical about this unit since the one I really wanted was out of my price range, but I have been really pleased. Other reviews mentioned that the unit felt cheap, but I disagree. The clamps are really solid and getting this installed took only about 15 minutes. The only complaint I have is that there is a 5 second or so delay between each usage report, but this is really not that big of a deal. I would definitely buy this again, since my expectations were low, I was very pleasantly surprised with the quality and the performance.

Be ready for a shocker or two when you start seeing your KW usage! I just stand in front of the display and yell at people to "turn something off" most of the time now!!
on October 8, 2012
I purchased this home energy monitor in order to gain insight into how much energy is being used by our household, and how the usage varies with time.

The system arrived in good condition, and was well packaged. Following the instructions supplied, I was able to get the transmitter sending data to the receiver in a few minutes. It took a few more minutes to open my electrical box and install the transmitter coils on the input cables and connect them to the transmitter.

I was able to set up the receiver unit by setting the time and electric rate, and it was soon displaying data on power consumption and cost.

The system does not come with a cable for connecting the display unit to a computer for downloading energy usage data, so I went to the company's web site and ordered one. I also downloaded and installed the software used for displaying the energy usage data. When the cable was received and the software operational, I was able to download energy usage data and display it using their software. I can also open the downloaded data file using Microsoft Excel and graph the usage versus time. This capability has proved to be very useful.

Using the system, I have been able to observe which items in our household use the most energy, and have taken steps to conserve energy as a result.

There are a few items that others have commented on also that could be improved in the system, but for me, these are mostly small annoyances rather than major issues. The clock on the receiver does not keep very good time, and I have to reset it every few days to keep it close to the correct time. Also the temperature readout on the unit reads consistently about 2-3 degrees high. Another thing that would help the usefulness of the data is if the cost data could be displayed in dollars and cents rather than pounds and pence. I understand the UK origin of the system is the reason for this, but one would think a software revision for the US would be in order.

I am thinking about ordering an additional transmitter for a solar panel system I am installing, since the manual says more than one transmitter can be monitored.

Overall, I am happy with the system. I did not expect "power company" accuracy from the system, but it has proved useful in understanding our electrical usage.
on April 8, 2011
The box contains the display unit with power cord, two clamp-on style current transformers (CT), one transmitter and product manual. I sync'd the receiver with the transmitter per the instructions and the unit worked immediately. I opened up my breaker panel in the garage and connected the the CT's to the each of the 120v lines coming to the panel and sat the transmitter in the bottom of the panel while I went inside to ensure that I still had a good connection; I did. I replaced the panel on the breaker box and still had good communication. The manual states that the signal would be good up to 100 ft and that you should take off 10' for every wall that is between the transmitter and the display unit. My transmitter and display are about 20 ft apart on a straight line distance and separated by about three walls (hard to tell since it goes through the garage wall and hits the corner of a bedroom and the kitchen and there are applicance in between.) The entire hook-up took approximately 15 minutes. I don't know how accurate the unit is since I don't have anything to compare against except the meter outside. My power company charges different rates for different levels of KW usage, so I calcualted my average KWh rate from last months bill and put that into the unit. I knew that my AC compressor was a large load, but did not realize just how large it was. Another item that is an energy hog is the electic oven; I was shocked at just how much power it actually used. I have only had the unit for half a day, but so far it is working fine and I have something that allows me to monitor my power usage.

Another good feature about this unit is that you can monitor up to ten different loads on one display unit if you purchase separate transmitter/CT assembly. This would allow you to monitor your whole house usage and ten different single loads such as your AC unit, water heater, dryer, etc...) The problem would be finding enough room in your breaker panel to put all of the transmitters. I could probably squeeze in one more transmitte but doubt I'll do it.

So far, I am very pleased with the purchase based on price, working immediately and ease of use.
on May 18, 2011
- Great product and fairly easy to install. I'm assuming the watts measurement is accurate but I don't have any way to verify that. I purchased the device to monitor watts, Not for its ability to calculate costs so I can't comment on that, the dollars and cents don't really mean much to me. I'm interested in power consumption, So I Love the precision of this device, it measures down to the watt if consumption is under 1000 watts, down to 10 watts if consumption is over 1000 watts.
- I tried one of the Blue Line Power Cost monitors before I bought this one, if you are also considering the Blue Line I would suggest Not. The blue-line only measures down to the 100 watt level so thats basically useless in my opinion, many devices draw less that 100 watts so the blue-line won't give any useful data on them. I also found the blue-line to be considerably inaccurate. I compared the reading on the blue-line to manually reading the meter over a 2 week period, and the blue-line was off by over 25%.
- Anyways, in the end I highly recommend this ENVI-CC128 Home Energy Monitor.
on April 10, 2013
We're on PG&E so if you are too then you know what I mean. Their rates are ridiculous and you have to try everything you can to keep from hitting the top payment tiers (nearly impossible mind you). I installed this device by myself and it was very easy. Just snap it in place and it's working. Spent about 10 minutes programming it to my specs and I was done. Then spent the next two hours walking around the house and turning things on/off to see how much power each lamp, tv, vcr, dishwasher, bulb, garage door opener and curling iron used. Kinda fun actually. Discovered that I could save a LOT of money by changing out certain things and altering some habits. It sits in my kitchen, looks just fine and is a nice reminder to turn things off when not in use. In our house we have energy challenges to see if we can beat the previous weeks usage.....This got the kids into it a bit especially after I showed them our old utility bill. I told them they could keep the difference if they help me save a few bucks. Worked for me! Have had this for a year and it easily paid for itself in the first 30 days. (Yeah, PG&E was killing me for about $500 a month before this). No regrets at all.
on September 30, 2010
Amazing how much you can find out about your appliances with this. I had no idea my chandelier was burning 300 Watts 8 hours a day; that makes it worth going to LED bulbs. I can see the 6KW my air conditioner takes when it kicks in, so I'm using fans when the outside temp drops below the inside temp -- and my lovely wife understands!! A home water cooler was burning 60 Watts night and day, now it's on a remotely controlled power strip. I also found out that putting a non-dimmable CFL on a dimmer ages it quickly, and can make them take up to 3x their rated power before they burn out. Graphing the realtime output takes external software and my favorite one ( at [...]) takes linux, bash, networking and perl skills to get to working, but you don't need any of that to start finding out what influences your electric bill.
11 comment| 29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.