Best Books of the Year So Far Men's Summer Sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry modern furniture and decor Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon outcastS4 outcastS4 outcastS4  Echo All-new Show Mode Charging Dock Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now Start your Baby Registry

Engel AC/DC Portable Tri-Voltage Fridge/Freezer - 43 Qt

Showing 1-10 of 21 reviews(5 star, Verified Purchases). See all 35 reviews
on June 11, 2015
I've only had this cooler for about a month but wow is it a nice unit. First of all, yes the price definitely hurts but it is extremely well made and thought out. Say goodbye to ice! I use it in a very harsh shop environment and it keeps beer ice cold. The temperature control works extremely well. The unit is heavy so I would minimize moving it around. But if you think about the weight of a comparable Yeti with ice, it's really nothing to lose sleep over. The handles are also well designed and feel solid to me. It includes mobile and AC power cords. The power draw has been very low. While it is running I put an amp clamp on it and came up with 77 watts. That is tough to beat. I'll update the review as I use it longer.
on October 1, 2017
Works amazing! HOWEVER it does not use .8 amps as advertised I have connected it to my amo reader for power draw and I have never gotten it to use any less than 2 amps, that being said it only kicks very rarely perhaps 8 times an hour for a minute or 2 at a time. I would say it is worth it if you are really trying to get the most off your batterys
|11 comment|Report abuse
on December 17, 2011
Over the years I had several portable freezers/refigerators,in various sizes, mostly Norcold brand. We use them on trips to and from our house in Mexico, where we spend 6 weeks at a time. This MT45F-U1 is my first Engel purchase, and it went on its first trip right after we received it. All I can say is, that this unit meets and exceeds all my expectations. It gets cold very fast on 12 or 110 volt. The humming noise which some other users mentioned, in my view, is not worth mentioning, it is hardly noticable. The unit is built very rugged and is of excellent quality.
Amazon came through on price and delivery. I needed the unit fast, as my old freezer gave out 3 days before my trip. I paid a few dollars extra for expedided delivery and received the unit as promised by Amazon and their supplier, even though it came all the way across the country. This made me a very "happy camper"

I can highly recomend this Engel freezer/refrigerator and Amazon.
16 people found this helpful
on July 5, 2016
So far, so good. Light enough to remove and clean. Takes quite a while to get down to temp, but at 1 amp draw, that's to be expected. This unit even began accumulating some frost on the inside walls. Great performance, so far. Also, I live in the New England area, and the temps were probably around 85F when I last used it. The compressor runs fairly frequently, but I think the insulation is sufficient for the size of the unit. Again, at about 1 amp, it's not going to be a dealbreaker for those running on even modest solar setups.
on April 22, 2015
I live in both my RV & Van at different times of the year. I've had the Cheapie 12 vdc coolers before but the Engle by far is the best out there. Pricey yes but you get what you pay for.
Anyone living out of their vehicle needs one of these. I'm glad I got the bigger one at 45 qts only because I have the extra space.
I also purchased the extended plan as well.
on July 13, 2017
I have been an owner of this refrigerator for a little over a year. I have it running in my custom, camper van. It's built like a tank and has never given me any issues. I keep the setting a little after the 1. Anything past that, especially around the 3 area and everything freezes. I never hear anything. I runs quiet as a mouse. I don't know if that's because of the unit, or because I have crappy hearing. I'm glad I bought this larger size, as I can put a lot more food and drink in it. Because it's really the only thing I run in my van on a continuous basis, because of it's very minimal amp draw, I can parallel for days without having to recharge my batteries. I have a bank of 4, six volt, in parallel, which put out 450 or so ah. The Engle MT45F is an excellent investment.
on March 3, 2015
I use this cooler during the work week from spring to fall to provide food and drinks for my crew. It works great! I have it positioned behind the driver's seat of my pickup and I can hear it hum when it's running, but the radio easily downs it out. I've used it with an isolated battery as well as the trucks main battery. I've never had an issue with running down the isolated battery. When running on the trucks battery alone I haven't had a problem letting it run overnight without the truck running. If I'm going to be parked much longer than that I try to plug it into 110V.
on February 11, 2015
This is a great refrigerator for my semi sleeper cab. It keeps food cold better than my home refrigerator! It doesn't drain the truck batteries like the thermocouple units (like you find at truck stops) do. I can leave it running in the truck for days at a time, and still have power to start the truck. I've had it in near continual use since I bought it nearly two years ago. Highly recommended!
2 people found this helpful
on June 10, 2014
I purchased this freezer for a couple of reasons. One being the high reviews that Engel got elsewhere and the low power requirements of it's compressor. Also, it fit in the space I had in the custom camping van I built for living/travel. You can barely hear it run which is a plus too.
on May 29, 2012
I have used a Koolatron cooler for a number of years in my truck. It just barely keep items cool. My first week in the truck I set the thermostat to three and it froze everything solid. I now run the thermostat at one, and everything is nice and cold. The fridge does not draw that much electric. I have a 12 volt cut off switch and after a weekend the fridge is still running. The old Koolatron would kill my batteries in 24 hours. I am very pleased with my new fridge. It is a bit pricey but hopefully it will be worth it.
8 people found this helpful