Shop Auto Winter Products Salon Beauty Best Books of the Month Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Listen for a chance to win STEM $24.99 for a limited time only Grocery Handmade Gift Shop STEM Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Echo Dot Black Friday Deals Week: Fire tablets starting at $29.99. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on November 20, 2013
What an eye opening book! We are reading this as apart of an "entrepreneurial university" class and it has really help me understand the potential diminished value of college degrees. I'm apart of a graduate program that values innovation over a research university. In fact, the program was designed from CEO saying that they enjoyed "researched based" students but those same students didn't possess much innovation, or work ethic so the program was created out of a list of bullet points from CEO and has been successful program to date. (This program would be an excellent examples of Engines of Innovation, should you make any revision and/or additions to this book)

I absolutely enjoyed this information from Bill Gates who stated that his foundation's new approach: "We have to find a way to make aspects of capitalism that serve wealthier people serve poorer people as well".

A refreshing book to read. The way our economy operates we need, must have, Engines of Innovation (universities) to solve the world problems. I've suggested this book to many college administrators as they began to make plans and improvements for their departments next year. A must read for college professors and administrators that want to take it to the next level.
on December 24, 2012
The good: challenges us to look at how universities can be leveraged to solve our economic and technology challenges.
The great: a very optimistic portrayal of what is possible when universities are in synch with the times. (e.g. MIT in WWII)
The bad: It's never this simple and the world is becoming much more complex in the context of the definition of universities, the tension between education and research, and the role of government and industry in all of this.
on December 27, 2016
Excellent book on how much more innovation is and how it all has to do with human beings and their spirit!
on June 9, 2014
Higher Education needs to change to meet the demands of student, parents and employers. What are the right changes? Where do we start? The book gives a leader a foundation to begin implementing innovation and change on campus. Very informative.
on September 20, 2014
Great book, on how to turn around universities as ivory towers into popular centres for community development through innovations. The book is an attempt towards that direction. More needs to be written in this area
on October 30, 2014
Excellent view on modern higher ed practices.
on January 20, 2011
Very informative and should be read by ambitious university faculty, entrepreneurs, and donors. Gives an idea of what's in store for the future and gets one into the mindset of a successful chancellor and a successful businessman.
on April 1, 2015
|TITLE| Engines of Innovation: The Entrepreneurial University in the Twenty – First Century.
|AUTHORS|
• H. Holden Thorp, Ph.D., J.D.
• Provost and Rita Levi-Montalcini Distinguished University Professor
• Departments of Chemistry and Medicine
• Washington University in Saint Louis, Missouri
• Campus Box 1072
• St Louis, MO 63130
• 314-935-3000
• thorp@wustl.edu
AND
• Burton B. “Buck” Goldstein, Ph.D.
• University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill North Carolina Entrepreneur-in Residence
• Professor of Practice in the Department of Economics.at The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, North Carolina

|BOOK FORMAT| soft cover
|BOOK PAGES| 178 pages
|BOOK PUBLISHER| University of North Carolina Press <ww.uncpress.unc.edu>
|BOOK COPYRIGHT| 2010
|BOOK RATING| Five Star 5****

|REVIEWER| Josh Grossman, Colonel {r} U.S. Army Medical Corps, M.D., F.A.C.P.
• Bachelor of Arts: The Johns Hopkins University (1961)
• Doctor of Medicine: Our Washington University School of Medicine (1965)
• Formerly Chief of Medicine 121st Evacuation Hospital APO-SF-96220
• Formerly Commanding Officer 548th General Dispensary APO-SF-96301
“Above all, do not fear difficult moments. The best comes from them!” – Professor Rita Levi-Montalcini M.D., Ph.D. {1909 – 2012: Nobel Laureate Physiology: Medicine)
“Great teachers often say they learn more from their students than their students learn from them.” (Page 15 of this outstanding text}
As I read and re-read this Second Edition of this well-written, well-referenced, outstanding text these words of Sir Howard Walter Florey {1898 – 1968} came to mind:
“ “I would be true, for there are those who trust me;
I would be pure, for there are those who care;
I would be strong, for there is much to suffer;
I would be brave, for there is much to dare;”
-----------------------------------------------------------Sir Howard Walter Florey, M.D., Ph.D. {1898 – 1968}
Yes it is true that our Universities prepare our students for jobs that do not yet exist; just as Our Washington University School of Medicine prepared me for HIV/AIDS unknown when I received my Doctor of Medicine (now 50 Fifty Years Ago) in 1965; just as I endeavor to prepare my students for Ebola with reasonable training in P.P.M. (Personal Protective Measures) perhaps somewhat more stringent that we were taught during our Vietnam Era Military Medical Officer Basic Training (and later during Command and General Staff School} both at Fort Sam Houston, Sam Antonio Texas prior to and before our Active Duty Medical Military Deployment to Malaria Endemic Areas in our Far East!
A copy of this outstanding text should be in each and every City, County, University, and College of Medicine Library. Our incoming first year Medical Students should read and discuss this text with their Mentors. All of our Washington University Alumni and our University of North Carolina Alumni will surely walk taller when they read and discuss this exemplary text with their students as I will with my students.
I look forward to reading future editions of this outstanding text as I look forward to, “The Road Ahead!” (Page 162 of this outstanding text)
on November 27, 2013
the book is a complete waste of time. The authors have a wonderful ability to use lots of words to say someting that is painfuly obvious, or to say absolutely nothing. I have expected that author will describe some real life of the examples of entrepreneurship in university setting, with the corresponding evaluation (see following link for examples: [...]
In summary, if you want to learn something about entrepreneurship in university setting this book is waste of time. i\If you want to learn how to write a whole book and say nothing this is an excellent opportunity. Good luck in your work, Cheers,
on January 17, 2011
Change can be a good thing or a bad thing; it's all in how it's done. "Engines of Innovation: The Entrepreneurial University in The Twenty-First Century" analyzes the power and potential that universities with a certain approach can do for the world in the next century where knowledge is an all powerful resource. Universities have always been historically the places where change in society begins to happen, and authors Holden Thorp and Buck Goldstein, two big thinkers who have called the University of North Carolina their home for years. With entrepreneurial thought and fundamentals, these universities can be juggernauts of change in the coming years. Throughout the chapters, Thorp and Goldstein cover the importance of enterprise, leadership, changing culture, responsibility, and much more. "Engines of Innovation" is a vital entry into any community or college library collection that features scholarly insights into the future of education and societal change.