Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by Foo Fighters PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating FFII_gno

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-12 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 30, 2010, 9:53:05 PM PDT
Bella Cullen says:
Does this series have English subtitles? Amazon should always include this very important information in the product description.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 12, 2010, 11:47:47 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 13, 2010, 4:10:30 PM PST
Siffert says:
I really doubt it has subtitles. Amazon is good on the listing if it has subtitles. For me, its now to the point if no subtitles, no buying.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2010, 1:32:20 PM PST
A&E Video products have stopped including subbies and/or captions for several years now. Big mistake on their part.

Posted on Dec 24, 2010, 7:34:31 PM PST
Richard says:
I too, will not buy without subtitles. What a shame this doesn't have them.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 6, 2011, 11:08:29 AM PDT
Mary says:
No, this DVD set of Rich man poor man Book 1 and 2, does NOT have English subtitles. I bought it here at Amazon.com and figured it would have subtitles as most DVD movies these days have subtitles and I am a bit hard of hearing. I was very disappointed to find it did not have subtitles. I enjoyed the movie but was not able to hear every word that was said. Amazon.com need to be more careful to put if a movie has subtitles or not. I emailed them to mention this and I hope they have listened.

Posted on Sep 6, 2011, 11:10:37 AM PDT
Mary says:
If a DVD movie does not say if it has subtitles or not, I am not buying in future. Rich man poor man did not have subtitles.

Posted on Sep 6, 2011, 4:49:44 PM PDT
This is not Amazon's fault. If they (or any retailer for that matter) don't list subbies or captions, it is generally understood they are not there. If you want to blame someone, blame the manufacturer, A&E Home Video. They lifted them shortly after 2003 on almost all their products. You want to get on someone's case, go directly to the source, not the party selling it.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 6, 2011, 7:22:27 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Sep 6, 2011, 8:01:52 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 6, 2011, 8:01:09 PM PDT
Mary says:
What you are saying is not entirely true. I spoke to Amazon.com at the time I found out it did not have subtitles.T said the manufacturer should tell them if the movie has subtitles or not, BUT they said before the movie is listed on Amazon, if the manufacturer did not state if the movie has subtitles or not, they (Amazon) will find out from the manufacturer before movie is listed if it has subtitles or not.

Yes, the manufacturer should advise Amazon whether the movie has subtitles, but Amazon is the company who is listing the movie for sale to the public and if the customer has hearing problem or just wants text on the screen, buyers may not buy the movie if it does not have subtitles, so Amazon have a vested interest if the movie has subtitles or not and want to make sure they list all important features the public may want, and subtitles for the deaf or hard of hearing is important as it is a disability and they want to find out if the movie has subtitles to have a choice to buy or not.

Amazon is the last stage before the sale of the movie to the public is made and is in a good position to check before people buy. Even though A&E home video are at fault at the source, Amazon buys tons of movies to sell on their site and they have a lot of clout to pressure A&E into providing subtitles for all their movies. To make changes in big companies, it takes a lot of people to complain, but if you get a big DVd sales company like Amazon, they could do a lot more to change the manufacturer's policy than some deaf or hard of hearing people phoning A&E.

I have about 200 DVD movies in my collection, and for quite a few years now, almost all of them have subtitles. Its time A&E got up to date and provide subtitles for the end customer, and I think Amazon could do a lot to change this. I think Amazon cares more about their customers than A&E would. You are entitled to your opinion, but there is more than one approach. I think Amazon is the way.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2011, 10:47:42 AM PDT
A&E did use subbies and/or closed captions when they first went the DVD route. They stopped after the final release of Hornblower or somewhere around them (early to mid 2000s). Why they stopped is a matter we need to address with them. I have more than twice the DVDs you have, and granted most have either subbies or captions (some both), and while Amazon does care about customer service it is their job to SELL the product not manufacture it. If we want more products released that are compatible for the hearing impaired, we the public have to get it through the skulls of the manufacturer, not the seller. And it is our place to do this as well, not the seller.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2011, 12:28:20 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 9, 2011, 12:56:10 PM PDT
Mary says:
Eric, You already gave your same opinion in a post here a month ago which I don't agree with and still don't. We don't have to agree. I replied to your message at that time and have not posted here for a month now. I want to get other peoples opinions, if there are any. We are all entitled to our own opinions.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2011, 12:44:11 PM PST
I am from french and portuguese culture and I agree a 100% with you. It would help us a lot if all the DVDs have english, french or spanish subtitle. Amazon should always include this information.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  6
Total posts:  12
Initial post:  Aug 30, 2010
Latest post:  Dec 8, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

This discussion is about