Beauty Magazine Deals Hallo nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon curbpremiere curbpremiere curbpremiere  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

• Customer reviews

on January 11, 2014
I received two large bags, 5 lbs each of this cereal, and I love that it came in bulk instead of small cereal containers. I enjoy this cereal for breakfast, but I'm thinking of also trying it in homemade snack bars, instead of something like rice crisps. This cereal has a good flavor and crunch, and I enjoy adding other things to my cereal bowl like granola and nuts and fruit.

Update 8-07-14: I've been getting this cereal in the subscribe-and-save program, but now I have 3 large 5lb bags of this cereal that smells a little like plastic or rancid product (Smelt slightly like this when I first received them). 10 pounds is a little too much for me, and I've been eating this cereal practically everyday. It gets tiring and it's a plain flavor, so I have to add other things to make it taste better. I think I'll hold off from purchasing this for a while... updated the rating from 5 stars to 3 1/2 stars.
44 comments| 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 11, 2015
I agree, this cereal has a very plain flavor and not very sweet- like grape nuts or all- bran.

but to me, this was a good thing because I wanted something not drenched in sugar or evaporated cane syrup or worse agave or brown rice syrup like many health foods. I wanted to sweeten it myself, to my tastes, with sweeteners that I choose, like honey or maple syrup.

I also really appreciate that this is rice free (so no arsenic concerns- see consumer reports on arsenic in rice) and also no corn, which I find mildly irritating to my tummy I just think in general is not very healthy unless it has been soaked in lime. I know, all grains should be soaked, but I find sorghum much more tolerable and digestible than some other grains.

Yeah, the small pebbles are kind of odd and maybe like hamster food if you get hung up on it, but I don't mind at all. I mix them with other already sweetened (usually very sweet, in my taste) cereals so it isn't a total sugar bomb for breakfast.

Since they are not overly sweet, you can also use them in a savory or sweet and salty versions of snack mix, trail mix, or homemade "kind" type bars. Think curry, chipotle, or bbq type flavor profiles. Or even if you are making sweet versions, this can balance out the concentrated sweetness of dried fruit or chocolate chips so it's not just disguised dessert. My only word of caution with snack/trail mix is that since these are so tiny, they sink to the bottom. you can try mixing up your trail mix with some honey or thinned out date paste and then baking it on a sheet for a little bit, so to make little "clusters", or form it into bars.

it is also very economical. good luck and enjoy!
on March 1, 2010
Buying this cereal in bulk for our family's celiac diets would be a terrific bargain, if not for one LARGE obstacle... the packaging.

This is the second shipment in the last four days where over four cups worth of the cereal was wasted because the zip lock bags it is supposed to be secured in had leaked its contents into the shipping box. The first shipment, the seam on one of the zip lock bags had failed... spilling the contents. The second shipment, which arrived today, had one zip lock bag that was not zipped shut.

Amazon customer service was very good about replacing the first shipment; I have not yet contacted them about the second shipping problem.

The cereal gets 5 stars, Amazon customer service gets 5 stars, but the packaging gets ZERO stars... it definitely needs improvement.
on July 27, 2015
I have eaten this cereal for years. It is filling and isn't too sweet. I put fresh blueberries, strawberries, and/or bananas on it along with unsweetened almond milk. But when I started to order it today here on Amazon, the price had gone up by $16 since May! I was able to order it on another website by the 10-oz box for less per ounce than I could get it in bulk from Amazon, including the cost of shipping from the other source! What is going on?!?!?
on March 30, 2014
Excellent cereal with virtually no taste but incredible crunch -- just what I wanted with loads of Omega 3, some fiber and 7 grams protein per 3/4 cup!! I eat it plain in a cup at work in the morning, throw some in a salad vs. fatty croutons that I can't have because I'm gluten-free, and will use instead of graham crumbs as crust with cardamon for cheesecake and other goodies, to add crunch to home-made granola bars, etc. It can be used in almost anything because it doesn't have much taste at all. Very low sugar which is what I needed. Can add to yogurt / Greek yogurt, parfaits, as ice cream topping, thickener, etc. Excellent price!
on March 16, 2013
Finding a breakfast cereal that all four of the kids like (ages 3-10) that's not 50% sugar is a difficult task. This is one of the few winners. It also works great as a crunchy yogurt topper, and it would probably hold up well for quite a few recipes (bars, etc.) but I haven't tried it in anything yet. My order came in two large resealable bags (holding 5 pounds each) that were heat-sealed at the top, so it seems they've fixed the packaging problems other reviewers noted. The bags are unlabeled, but the ingredients and nutrition information (not an official Nutrition Facts label, if that matters to you) came on a separate piece of paper.

UPDATE: Kids got tired of this cereal after a while. I've made peanut butter bars with these and they turned out pretty well.
on August 19, 2013
I've always eaten the Perky's Nutty Rice. Enjoy Life used to be Perky's. The Nutty Rice was good, gluten-free, and the texture reminiscent of Grape Nuts (which I used to love back when I ate wheat).

I was looking for something different, since my daughter and I were eating the Nutty Rice too frequently. This is Nutty Flax. It's also gluten-free, but tastes different from the Nutty Rice. I think it's fruit-juice-sweetened.

It's very healthy, tastes good, and works well cooked, also. That's primarily how I eat it. It puffs up large and soft when you cook it (same cooking method as for Grape Nuts) and even can get a creamy texture when stirred if you let it stand for several minutes after cooking it.

It has a heavier, darker flavor than the Nutty Rice. It soaks up agave topping like a sponge, once cooked. The heavier flavor required me to add more sweetener than I used to with the Nutty Rice.

But, the sweetener is only so my daughter will eat it. I would totally eat this unsweetened. It's good that way, but definitely not sweet, if that's what you're looking for.
on October 6, 2014
I love this cereal. It's so fun to eat and stays crunchy in milk way longer than any other cereal (I have mine with almond milk). I find that not only is it fun to eat, it stays with me a long time, which proves that it actually has real nutrition in it, unlike other gluten-free cereals from the major companies whose only nutrition comes from the fake vitamins they pump into them. Go ahead and get the carton of 12--I keep my spares in a sealable plastic tub until I need a new box. I have kept my boxes fresh long after the "best by" date by doing this.
on November 19, 2015
Love, love, love this product...and at the price here, I save $.60 each box....We go through a case on less than a month....My children love it on yogurt, ice, and straight out of the box....My dogs even love it..
on June 6, 2009
When diagnosed with Celiac Disease I really missed eating good tasting cereals. I tried a lot of other gluten free cereals and they were not filling, would get soggy, and often were so full of sweeteners, they even left my mouth feeling raw. Perky's Nutty Flax is awesome! It is filling, not too sweet, tastes great on yogurt or can be eaten alone. And it stays crunchy for a long time, an added bonus for a busy mom in the mornings. I highly recommend this cereal for anyone with Celiac Disese that used to love cereal. In fact, I need to start buying this in bulk since the rest of my family discovered it and loves it. I is so nice that my kids, who do not have Celiac Disease, eat a healthy cereal like this.