Your Garage Beauty LyingGame STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning powers4premiere powers4premiere powers4premiere  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 565 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 583 reviews
on June 19, 2012
Sound didn't work on my Macbook Air (early 2012 model) on the first try, but going into the System Preferences -> Sound -> Output you can select the output device.
Assuming the adapter is connected to a TV and you can see the computer's picture on the screen, when you go into the System Preferences, the Sound Output device selection will show "Internal Speakers" as well as the TV's name. Just select the TV and the sound will start to come out of it.

It's a one time setting; I disconnected the adapter and the sound came back to the internal speakers, but when I reconnected it came out the TV again without me having to revisit the settings. You only need to revisit the settings when you connect to different TVs.

UPDATE: I recently tried this adapter on the MiniDisplayPort of a Lenovo X230 laptop running Windows 7 and it works there too, perfectly with sound as well!
1010 comments| 75 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 5, 2013
This adapter is NOT HDCP compliant and will NOT play HD content you buy on iTunes!

What does this mean? HD movies and tv shows etc have copy-write protection in them. HDCP stands for High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection. It is a way for manufacturers to prevent piracy. Not all adapters are HDCP compliant such as this one. So if your like me and have most of your Video library though iTunes then DO NOT BUY this one. I had to return it. After talking to apple Tech support I found that the only way for you to watch those expensive HD movies and tv shows you bought on iTunes is to only use a device that is HDCP compliant.

Fortunately there are several reliable brands on Amazon and through Apple itself and they are fairly inexpensive. "Cable Matters Gold Plated Mini DisplayPort (ThunderboltTM Port Compatible) " was only 11.99 on amazon and is Amazon prime. the same kind are on the Apple website for $30 more.
44 comments| 79 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 6, 2017
My husband ordered this and it ended up having the wrong end. We needed an iPhone end on this cable. He said he thought the image was with the iPhone end. It came in and had the wrong end and now we cannot return it and get the one we needed. We are stuck with a cable we will never use. When I tried to return it, it just said item not available for return.
on February 14, 2015
This device works wonderfully. I have an Macbook Air and I was looking for a simple solution to connecting my Macbook to my large screen LED TV. After looking at many different, costly options, I came across this device. First of all the product looks as though it were made by Apple. It looks as though it could have been an add on accessory by Apple themselves. I have read some people complain about the length of the adaptor. One thing to remember is that you're going to be plugging an HDMI cable into this. You can achieve whatever distance you prefer by purchasing an HDMI cable that is long enough. If this device were built directly into the device you're connecting it to you would have no extra length anyhow. One thing that is key is that if you want sound to come out through your tv or audio system you MUST go to your settings in your Apple device, go to sound options, and select the adaptor for "sound out" rather than the internal speakers. This literally takes 15 seconds at most. Once you do this you are good to go. I cannot emphasize what a worthwhile investment this was for around the $7.00 mark. Great job.
on January 14, 2017
Bought this to connect my Macbook to my AV receiver (for my HD TV). Works great. Although it's a cord connection, it's no hassle and works flawlessly every time giving me HD audio and visual signal from my laptop. It's also useful at work for presentations and when just looking for a portable easy connection to any HD TV. My laptop has no HDMI ports so this fit the bill perfect using the high speed thunderbolt port on my laptop.
I've been using it for years with no issue. Also comes with a plastic cap to protect the thunderbolt connector when not in use.
on June 6, 2016
Pay attention, this is a thunderbolt adapter. I had searched for an adapter for my iphone (lightning), and this came up, and I was in a hurry and bought it without reading. It's totally on me, I was in a rush and didn't even look. The product is great, but just make sure it's the product you need. I already had a thunderbolt adapter, now I have two. The price is unbeatable.
on June 22, 2014
I didn't know why it was flickering, but after much troubleshooting and diagnostics - replacing the HDMI cable, screwing with settings and validation of drivers for the new HD monitor, etc., the screen still just kept blinking off every minute or so. Sometimes every 20 seconds. It really was quite random. I was clued in to what it might be when I started wiggling this adapter at connection points, throughout the cable, etc. The flickering worsened. So, I went to a nearby Home Depot and bought their version (CE TECH) of one of these same adapters for $15. It works fine. Monitor and laptop have been on for an hour. Not a single cut-out/flicker. Even when I tamper with the adapter and its connection points. Yes, I realize this item is inexpensive, but it seems you get what you pay for. If you don't have time to mess around with marginal products, just get a good one from the get-go.
on May 19, 2014
I bought this in Feb. 2013 for the occasional use to plug it up to a computer to watch something. The audio and video both worked. I was happy with it. Until about 10 uses in and then all of a sudden it no longer works. The TV isn't getting any signal. I've tried it with two different Mac computers and it still doesn't work. It's frustrating because I thought it was a good product, but it's obviously not reliable at all. Why would it just magically stop working for no reason?!?!

Would love to get a second one to replace it, but am definitely not interested in another repeat of a bad product that fails. Anyone have suggestions for reliable adapters that aren't outrageously priced?
on November 16, 2013
This display adapters works well with audio (remember that you have to select it as the output in System Preferences) and the video quality is usually good. That being said, I did encounter problems occasionally when I was using larger displays (i.e. 1080p at 60 Hz, where the adapter has to transfer a lot of data). The adapter's output would flicker until I reduced the resolution and changed it back again, which seems to "reset" it.

The design is very similar to Apple's, although if you own any real Apple display adapters, you can tell that the enclosure quality is not as good. The cable is longer than what's shown in the photo.
on February 4, 2017
Works perfectly with my Mac mini. I use it along with the hdmi port to use dual monitors and both show a high quality apple desktop. Price was very good compared to what I find in the Apple Store.