Amazon Vehicles Beauty Trade in your textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com toystl17_gno

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 102 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 140 reviews
on March 20, 2017
I gave the book a 4 stars because of the amount of work that went in producing such a travel book. One thing I was a little taken back is the way the author willingly or unwillingly seems to attack prospective visitors to India with a long list of do not.........as in the case of many European businesses....the client is always wrong no matter what........I appreciate the fact that India is not your typical country to visit and those who have never been there, should definitely be aware of many things, sort of walking on a crate full of eggs''. It is true that there are many bad tourists, that would do a favor to their home countries to just never leave to go abroad, but it is also true that there are many wonderful, polite and kind tourists that all they want is to experience and see things that they do not ordinarily do at home. Indians in India, to my opinion, should not be put on a pedestal as higher than thou....because after all, people are people and you will be bound to find of all kinds on both side of the equation. The author continues to stress how important it is to embrace the whole culture without any criticism....Is that ever possible? Do Indian Tourists when they travel around the globe, do they stay put in one little corner and never criticize the country and the people they are visiting? I do not think so....Anyway, I am enjoying the book, but alas it is not exactly what I wanted.....I was looking more on the line of Lonely Planet India....but certainly this book has its own merits and I would recommend it especially to those who are planning to reside in India for a longer period of time than just being a short term tourist.
on March 12, 2015
This book seems to be one of the most informational and precise guides to traveling in India that I've come across. Whether you are male or female, this item allows you to understand the complex social differences in society. You will learn how to communicate efficiently, what is appropriate in regards to dress and personal space, how to maintain respect for yourself and for the natives of the country, and you will also learn how you can maximize the benefits of India and the eastern ideology that makes this place so wonderful. Give this book a try. The author seems to know what she's talking about since she's lived there for so many years.
on April 23, 2015
Some reviewers felt the book was too tough and discouraged visitors. India is at that boundary of the third world and a glimmer of the first world. There are many things changing in India and yet thousands of years of history are staring you in the face. That isn't going change, so accept it or stay at home. Her nitty gritty street situations sound totally believable. The discussion of language and customs seem spot on and helped me in retrospect understand conversations and dealing I have had with Indians here in the US. Politeness, honesty, and indirectness all in the same conversation are such an amazing Indian habit; I have never heard it so well explained. Saving face and preserving honor seem right in line with other Asian societies. The book gets a little long and tedious, but covering so many topics in such depth is the cause. Quite happy to have found and read the book in preparing for a visit.
on November 6, 2016
I wanted to wait until I got back from India to write a review-- this book is a must read for anyone traveling to this beautiful country. It will help you enjoy a culture that is so different from your own. I can't say that by reading this book nothing came as a surprise when traveling, just by getting off the plane in India you will be surprised. However, this book answered in so many questions I would have had. It took a lot of stress and confusion out of everyday experiences and allowed me to prepare what I was going to pack and how I should respectfully interact with people. Why are there two buckets in every shower? How should I deal with a tuk tuk driver and a broken meeter? Which foods should I embrace and which should I avoid? What's the proper etiquette for a shrine or temple? What's with the head wobble? This book will answer all those questions and so many more.

Normally one would expect a book like this to be a slog to read but I thought it was fascinating. I read it twice, always with a highlighter or a pencil in my hand. I was even late to work a couple times because I was engrossed in all the details! I wish every country I visited had a guide like this. Thank you so much to J D Viharini for sharing all her knowledge and experience!
on April 8, 2015
Enjoying India goes way beyond dry government travel advisories by covering so many of the cultural nuances and small details (everything from how to bargain with vendors to avoiding Delhi Belly to how to use a squat toilet) that make travel to the subcontinent unique. Viharini's love of India is infectious and the tone of the book is that of a no-nonsense loving older sister. The chapter on (East-West) cultural differences is one of the most concise and practical explorations of the topic. I have traveled internationally extensively and have never come across a book as practical or as much a joy to read as Enjoying India.
on March 25, 2015
This book was incredibly helpful as I planned my first trip to India. I read it again and again over the course of a few months before leaving and finally once through while on the plane. I recommended it to someone who also arrived in India the same time I did and she said she wished she had known to read it sooner. Thank you
on December 30, 2016
If you are planning to travel to India and you want to understand it better and enjoy the culture, this book has the best advice I have yet to see. I recommend it to everyone who is a foreigner to this wonderful and culturally rich country!
on June 21, 2016
Highly recommend this book for anyone traveling to India. I read it, my husband didn't. Guess who didn't suffer culture shock and enjoyed the vacation? Just saying....
on February 12, 2016
Traveling to India for the first time I had no idea what to expect and was quite apprehensive about it. This book tells you what to expect, what to do and what not to do, it is very comprehensive, well written and easy to read. I went there for work and this book was indispensable regarding the business culture in India which made the whole experience being there pleasurable and meaningful. If you're going to India for the first time and are not sure what to expect this book is a great place to start.
on November 7, 2016
Very well written. Offers good insight into the culture and adventure of Indian travel. We will spend 6 weeks next year traveling in India, and wanted to learn as much as possible beforehand. This guide provides what we need to know. Definitely recommend for serious travelers who want to travel well, with sensitivity and an eye to how to avoid potential problems caused by western nativity....