Your Garage Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Samsung S8 Launch Starting at $39.99 Luxury Beauty Handmade Mother's Day Gifts Shop Popular Services siliconvalley siliconvalley siliconvalley  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Shop Now disgotg_gno_17

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 68 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 145 reviews
VINE VOICEon October 31, 2010
My first impression upon finishing the book was "it's cute". Then, I reminded myself that the book's intended audience is twelve and that made me feel better. Enna Burning is equally as clean as Goose Girl, it's predecessor, and is a creative and inventive story of Isi's friend Enna who learns how to speak to fire. The land of Bayern is now at war and Enna believes that her new skills can help save her homeland. Enna has a mighty adventure as she learns how to control the fire and not let it control her. The writing is simple but that is appropriate for the audience and I believe that my daughter will enjoy this series in a few years.
on March 11, 2010
This is the sequel to The Goose Girl and is an original story rather than a reinterpretation of a fairy tale. I enjoyed this one, not as much as The Goose Girl, but it was a good concept and was well written. Enna has returned to her home to care for her dying mother. Her brother finds a document that teaches the power of fire, which ends up controlling him rather than the other way around. Enna learns firespeaking and uses the power to defend her nation. The power begins to consume her and she must find a way to regain control. Isi is likewise having trouble with her wind power. There is some romance and betrayal. I liked the fact that her new power was not always a good thing and how she worked to control it. I wish there had been more about Isi's struggle with her powers as well. I am looking forward to the third book.
on January 15, 2013
I felt that the books were well written for a fantasy at the young adult level. I have also read all of the Twilight series which I considered better.
VINE VOICEon September 1, 2005
I love Shannon Hale's writting because she writes fairy tales and does not try to hide it. Its a straight forward lyrical style that I love. Not only would I suggest reading Enna Burning, but also read the Goose Girl (you may want to read this first as it introduces the main characters) and the Princess Academy. All are lovely books that I really enjoyed through the course of an afternoon.
VINE VOICEon October 5, 2008
I wanted to like "Enna Burning". I truly did. I feel that Shannon Hale is a fantastic writer with a beautiful style and I did enjoy "The Goose Girl" and "Princess Academy". I was especially thrilled in hearing that this was something of a sequel/spin-off of "The Goose Girl".

And it's not to say that Hale does not bring out a great idea. I'm as much as a pyro as the next girl who's worked at a scout camp and I'm all for the magic of burning things. After all, the first book of Bayern informed us of this section of magic.

However, it all comes down to Enna burns things and feels bad. Which is not a bad thing. That sounds like a great plot to me. However, in all the midst of wars and fire and action and plot Enna and her moral dilemma never became real to me. And I have to care about the person before I care about their pyrotechnics.

This all said... I still believe that the right audience would enjoy this book far more than I. There is a lot of action going on here, and the person wanting some action-fighting-burning enjoyment would appreciate this. And if Hale does nothing else, she writes with a beautiful choice of words.

I believe these are all qualities to get three stars.

I just couldn't care past that.
on July 1, 2016
This book was purchased at the request of my teenage daughter so I cannot provide a helpful review. What I can say, from my daughter's actions, is that the book "smells" good. Not sure what it is about new books, but the first thing she does is randomly open the book and stick her face in it to get a whiff. Her reaction indicated that it did pass the "smell" test. That is worth two stars in my book as a dad. The book did arrive before the expected time in good condition which is also worth two stars. As far as content, I will probably never be able to review that since there are many other books that are much higher up my reading list.
on July 11, 2008
I have read several books by Shannon Hale, and have enjoyed them very much. This story may be a little intense, however, for young readers, because several people are destroyed by burning. I did like "The Goose Girl" better, but I did enjoy the continuation of several of the characters from "The Goose Girl" in this story.
on February 25, 2015
**mild spoilers**

This book is so absurd, I don't even know where to begin. Until reading this book, I had no idea a book could be so bizarre and so tedious at the same time.

Overall, this book felt forced and disingenuous. Near the middle, I began to disbelieve that Hale herself even wrote it because it is so messy and completely lacked the depth of her other novels.

By 3/4 of the way through, I gave up and read a summary online to spare myself. The last straw was Enna mooning over how she must be "falling in love with" Sileph while she has a knife to his neck while simultaneously thinking that she finally has what she wants in making a difference in the war (which didn't even make sense to me, given the circumstances under which she felt she was contributing). Then, all that is quickly followed up by the fact that she didn't think to maybe ask someone to check if there were any people in the house that Sileph told her to destroy. My first thought when he told her to do that was, "I'd ask first to make sure there are no people inside." And, yep. There you go. She kills someone.

What "plot" is there is trite, overdone, and completely overshadowed by the incessant, nauseating references to how intoxicating, drug-like, uncontrollable, bad (but seemingly in a good way!), and irresistible fire is. Eventually, the descriptions veer into sexual innuendo territory, which I was able to not guffaw at until she met Sileph, and then I just began to laugh out loud whenever he talked about it. For example: "I brought you here, Enna, so you could burn. I saw in your face the release and pleasure it gives you. Why don't you just surrender?" Are you kidding me? Eventually, "fire" became a metaphor for "sex" and the "painful-yet-pleasurable release of her fire" became a metaphor for "orgasm." Enna is basically reduced to a sex-starved, drug-addicted teenager on the verge of womanhood being seduced, manipulated, and used by a patronizing older man (because, of course, there has to be a conflict with her love interest in Fin, and what better and more convenient way to do it than Stockholm syndrome?).

At one point, I actually agreed with Sileph that Enna should just give in to being "bad" and join Tira because her constant failings due to the intoxication of the fire became so--yep, you guessed it--tedious. The whole book would've been more believable that way, and I think she would make a much better antagonist than a failed protagonist. Her empty promises to herself and others, the number of times she betrays (and even hurts) her friends, her desire to actually kill people outright, her strained attempts at trying to convince herself that she what she wants is to help, it all fails and does not make me feel empathy for her, but annoyance at her changeable, fickle nature--I know that is supposed to be the fire's doing and we're supposed to blame that, but mostly it just makes you think Enna is not very smart, has no integrity, and can't be counted on. She knew better than to get mixed up in the fire to begin with and did it, anyway, even after watching her own brother burn himself to death.

Even Isi's inability to control the wind in this book became tiresome. What I'd really like is a book that shows these children trying to find masters who can help them control what they're doing, like the people that Enna mentions a few times in the beginning (I can't remember the name of the people, unfortunately), instead of destroying everything around them. That's what I thought this book was going to be about--she and Isi seeking help from the masters.

It doesn't matter to me if, at the end, Enna supposedly redeems herself because her journey to get to that point was so painful and disingenuous. I don't even know what the point of this book was, aside from someone told Hale (or a ghost-writer for Hale) that there has to be a four-part series so that every element is covered, and she couldn't figure out what to do with the fire bit so it resulted in this travesty of a book.

A real disappointment after the first book in this series, which I thought was pretty good and gave promise to the others in the series. I don't even know when I'll recover enough to try the third book, if at all.
on January 13, 2016
I bought this book as a "like new" purchase and it was almost like new. When I got to the end of the book I found a page that had bright yellow highlighting over most of it. I am happy with the purchase, but wasn't expecting highlighting in a "like new" book.
on January 21, 2016
I loved this book, but I time to time missed Ani's perspective. Great for preteens (10+) 😂 anyways, this book made me feel awesome, laugh, and ya know protective and weird. So I hope you like the second book of the series!!!