Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheOnlyLivingBoy TheOnlyLivingBoy TheOnlyLivingBoy  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $59.99 Kindle Paperwhite Trade it in. Fund the next. Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 69 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 126 reviews
on June 23, 2015
Genre: YA Angel Paranormal series
Rating: 4-5 star series!
5 book series that each leave you anticipating for the next book to start!

A Paranormal Love Triangle between Violet, Phoenix, and Lincoln!

Light vs Dark

Grigori vs Exile

Lincoln vs Phoenix

Ultimate betrayal, decisions to be made and Violet has to choose to stay human or sacrifice to save the one who she loves.

Embrace the powers of the Angels of Dark and Light!! What side will Violet choose?

This series is addicted from the beginning. If you are twilight or immortal instrument fans, you will love this series as well!
on September 20, 2012
I clearly haven't fangirled enough this year because the book gods have descended and presented me with Jessica Shirvington's Entice.

Okay, the book gods AND the lovely people over at Sourcebooks.

Now as you may already know, I tend to be a bit hesitant with angel books. Yes, the mythology is fascinating and there's so much that can be done with it, but let's be real. Not everyone can pull it off. I've read my fair share of not-so-great angel books and I am here to tell you the Jessica Shirvington is the obvious exception. She manages to stay true to the mythos while keeping the real heart of the story grounded in reality. Not to mention she's still able to keep her characters exciting and fresh!

Violet, for example, is still a fantastic female heroine. Yeah, she's made bad choices *cough* Phoenix *cough*, some she may regret for a lifetime *cough* still Phoenix *cough*, but she's so determined make the most of it, no matter how difficult that may be. And trust, it is very difficult. Especially considering she has to deal with Lincoln who can be incredibly frustrating at times. I had to keep reminding myself that there was more to him than the hard shell he uses to distance himself from the world.

Look hard enough and you'll find a boy, head over heels in love with the one person he can't have. That kinda sucks, doesn't it? So no, I didn't agree with his actions but I learned to understand them as the book progressed. He even made up for it about halfway through the novel. Everything comes to light as the story unravels...

Oh, but let's not forget to mention the other boy/demon angel with a claim to Violet's heart, Phoenix. Forget my lust-filled obsession! That's all in the past and this is post-Embrace Kristin talking! The sexy mood-swings that attracted me to Phoenix in the first novel have made way for some really heavy feeling. Some really heavy feelings of dislike.

I hate him, I hate him, I hate him!...but I won't spoil why.

Despite my distaste for Phoenix, I was completely enthralled by the novel's romance which was definitely upped a bit. Um...more alike A LOT! *wipes drool* While this is the part of my review when I start gushing and flailing hysterically, I am going to take a (mature) step back and admire what Shirvington did with the novel's love story because it's not your typical triangle. There's quite obviously a good and a bad choice, but Shirvington explores that feeling of indescribable attraction to the bad boy. You know he's not good for you, yet there's this spark, this endless supply of chemistry that you just can't seem to get out of your system. There came a point where I all but made-out with this book.

Wait.

I take that back. *blushes* There was that one scene...

*regains composure*

Er...so yes. As I lay there in my bed, finished book clutched to my chest, contemplating whether to ever leave my home again, I thought to myself, "Hm...I wonder if the tears and anguish of readers keep their authors young!?" If so, Jessica Shirvington will live FOREVER because I don't know what I am going to do until Emblaze is released here in the States! The next installment promises to be anything but boring or repetitive and I. CAN. NOT. WAIT.

Maybe a certain blogger BFF *cough* Sarah *cough*can hook a sistah up?! Pleeeaaasseeee?
on September 7, 2012
★★★½

Violet.
Entice finds Violet Eden still shaken from her experiences in the desert - the trials that turned her from being merely human to accepting her destiny as a Grigori, the part-angel protectors of humans and hunters of exiled angels. However, though she's accepted what she is, it quickly becomes clear that Violet hasn't wholeheartedly embraced the Grigori side of her nature yet, and she fears the lost part of herself that she was forced to kill in order to become what she was created to be. She's trying to understand herself now that her whole world has been completely turned on its head. What part of herself did she lose? Her humanity? And who made her? Why is she different from other Grigori? For what purpose was she made?

Boys! Ugh...
On top of this identity crisis she's silently battling Vi must also deal with the tatters of her love life. Moving past her mistake with a guy who used and manipulated her, moving past her mistake that hurt the guy she truly loves but can never have. After Phoenix's loyalties were revealed in the last book, Violet is angry and hurt from the deception, feeling foolish and naïve, and tries to focus on just being Lincoln's platonic Grigori partner. Which is harder than she thought it'd be, especially since he seems more distant than ever, hanging out a ton with Griffin's gorgeous partner Magda, and purposefully keeping Vi in the dark. Just when she thinks it can't get any worse, Phoenix is back with his own agenda, and unfortunately Vi's got to admit that they still have some kind of strange connection. Her relationships with both Phoenix and Lincoln were the big draw for me in the first book - both have very interesting dynamics. It's kind of a love triangle, but... not. It's terribly dramatic and all kinds of interesting.

Hello. You're new.
One of my favorite things about Entice is that Jessica introduces several new characters... the main ones being Salvatore, Zoe and Spence. Part of the contingent from the Academy in New York, these three are Violet's peers - fellow trainees. All outfitted with their own cool angelic powers, these three have scene-stealing personalities that lend a lot of color to the story. From the quiet, sweet Salvatore who only speaks Italian, to the spitfire Zoe who's perpetually annoyed with practically everyone, to the impetuous, fun-loving Spence whose biggest fear is being left out of a good fight. The characterization of these three is just done very well.

She's got your back.
Steph = I love her. Can she be my best friend? I'd love to see her take an even larger role later on in the series. She keeps Vi grounded. She knows Vi the best. She helps Vi put things into perspective. She dispenses advice or space as needed. She rocks.

The dealio.
So why's Phoenix back? Oh... only to get his hands on the legendary Scriptures. And if Phoenix gets his hands on the Scriptures, he'll have a distinct advantage with which to carry on the exiles' plan to wipe out all Grigori... and Violet and her friends aren't about to let that happen.

The story was extremely fast-paced, but a bit weirdly paced at the same time - it lagged a little in the middle, felt a little muddled in spots, and went places I wasn't expecting (i.e. - in a "Oh-ok-I-guess-this-is-happening-now" type of way). Despite that though, I still sped through the book, Entice definitely holding my interest.

Hmm.
There were a few other minor things I just can't shake, like once in awhile feeling a little emotionally distanced from Violet or events of the story. I think just more emotional development would've been nice, perhaps, because I felt in a couple instances that I just wasn't feeling the depth of emotion I should be feeling. Maybe I have a heart of stone... but I get embarrassingly teary-eyed during Hallmark commercials, so probably not. Also, Griffin, Nyla & Rudy are slighly cardboard-ish parental stand-ins, and certain minor plot points feeling a tad contrived.

Despite this, it's still a novel I enjoyed, still a very interesting take on angels, still a highly compelling romance, still raises very interesting questions that I'd love to know the answer to.

Overall.
On to Emblaze!
on September 15, 2012
If you have not read Embrace, I suggest you do so before reading this one as things could get confusing without the first installment.

As for Entice, the book moves at a much faster rate than Embrace which I love.
The characters actually travel to Jordan which is where I'm from so I got kick out of that too :)

I absolutely love the characters, they're genuine and you can relate to them.
The relationships between the characters are real too.

The downside of the book for me was that I would've liked to know more about Phoenix; I would've liked to know what he was thinking and feeling. Even in Embrace you don't know what's really going on with him... Are his feelings for Violet real or was he just playing her all along? I really hope we get more insight on Phoenix in Emblaze.
Don't get me wrong I'm all team Lincoln but I would like to know a bit more about Phoenix because I can't decide whether I hate him or feel sorry for him. I really did not appreciate the fact that he slept with Violet though...
on October 7, 2012
Love, love, love this book!!! Thank god for the ability to highlight your favorite quotes in books with your kindle!!! The little quotes at the beginning of each chapter are great! And always are spot on about the emotional developments in the upcoming chapter. I have been adding clippings like crazy with this one! What gets me with this story is the forbidden love, and also the love triangle! Even so it's a fantasy book, when it comes to raw emotions these books just get it!

Favorite quote book 1: You know that when I hate you, it is because I love you to a point of passion that unhinges my soul!

Favorite quote book 2: It's not a small thing, knowing that in this world, you have a true match. It's hard to keep a level head and avoid hyperventilating when everything inside you is exploding with new truth. Harder still to look at the person, the soul, your perfect complement, knowing he can't be yours and you cannot ask him to be. Ever.
on February 14, 2017
Now that I've read this series a million times, I see that Violet is weak and strong at the same time. She faints a few times, but I mean come on! She saved their lives with her power so I think she deserves a little slack! My point is, when she shows even the slightest weakness she straightens up and acts as if she's fine. That, in my book, is admirable.
on July 27, 2017
Fun exciting read. Complex plot!
on April 28, 2014
Same as the 3rd book. I loved the 1st book so much and read it in one afternoon and jumped on Amazon to buy all the books. This one and the 3rd as dragging out so that it's taken forever to finish. It's about making money and not the writing ... The story line is dragged out and you keep reading because you want to know what happens ... This book and the third are disappointing because the 1st one was so good .... As a female the herione keeps getting dumber and weaker in each follow up.
on April 9, 2013
I would count down the days to the next book comes out and I am counting down until the final book comes out! After i would finish each book i couldn't read a new series for days, I'm stuck in Violet and Lincoln's world. You can't imagine a life any other way (take that as you will) I would recommend it forever and ever and i have not one doubt that you will love it if you're into romance, action, adventure and have are up for shedding a few tears (I'm not even joking). Make sure you are fine to read for hours at a time since you can't put it down!!!!!
on June 13, 2016
Enticing Angel World.... Sorry, couldn't help myself with that title ;) I enjoyed Embrace and of course Entice even more. The story is well written with even more intriguing characters. Lots of action and butt kicking. I'm on to the next book, Emblaze!