Customer Reviews: Entropy
Amazon Vehicles 4-month subscription Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Subscribe & Save Cozy Knits STEM Book 2 or More Hours of House Cleaning on Amazon LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 All-New Kindle for Kids Edition Lady Gaga Shop Cycling on Amazon

Format: Kindle Edition|Change

on December 22, 2012
I got this one some time back and i admit that i have not yet finished it. I put the book down and left it to the side and i know i will one day go back and finish it but for now im going to read other things.
There was one other review that said the premise is good and that is right on. The idea is great, no mistake about that. persevere a little into the story and you can tell the author went to some lengths to research it and fully involve himself in the world he has created. Fans of futuristic dystopian books are probably going to want to give this some consideration. there is also some good imagery and some pretty strong stuff in here, ie the main character and his conclusion he comes to about his religion. that is very strong so i hope when people read this they appreciate the depth of what was being said there

having said that, what was weighing it down? There was something about the readability of it that had me reading a few pages at a time and thinking it came across as hard work, only in places. it was just a little difficult to read. there were some parts where there was some action but ultimately the characters didnt really keep me involved. I picked up on some greater mystery or purpose to the whole thing but it wasnt enough to keep me involved in it. I have promised myself that i will finish this book but it might be a while yet before i do. I will say that it is a decent effort and there was enough here to make me consider reading more by the same writer
on January 8, 2012
I like the setup of this book. The premise is interesting, and the story moves along in such a way that you want to know what will happen next. As noted by another the writing structure is odd, but even that was forgivable.

What I am struggling with is that I absolutely hate the main character. I can find no empathy for him whatsoever, and because of that the whole story drags as we are pulled through his irritating and destructive thought processes. Honestly, I am 2/3rd's of the way through the book and just want the character dead.

He is a depressing weight around the necks of both the books other characters, and as I struggle forwards in spite of him, I find it hard to imagine that anything good can plausibly happen with this character as a driving factor.

I will continue to struggle forwards nonetheless, and perhaps if I make it to books-end, something will change my attitude. I will be back to revise this review a bit if I can make it to the end and that occurs. In the meantime, I would be liking this novel ever so much more if the main character was not such a shining example of why humanity died.
on November 3, 2012
I won't repeat all of what has already been written. Instead, I'll highlight what I agree with.

This is hard Sci-fi, not a space opera. The premise revolves around being in a universe that is reaching the end of its existence. The characters are all searching within themselves, and their surroundings, for something to justify their existence-to help them understand who they are and what their purpose is.

It starts slow. It actually takes effort to read. It does have a plot if you're tenacious enough to get to it. It isn't about larger than life characters running around in spaceships shooting at each other. The ending will make sense.

Present tense if very difficult to write. My young daughter is an aspiring writer and she asked me about writing present tense. I told her that the most difficult part is to maintain that perspective throughout every single sentence. That premise is proven throughout this book. There are numerous errors in grammar and tense. I found the story rewarding enough to work through it though.
on January 6, 2012
I loved this book. I am an avid reader but do not read much science fiction. I decided to give this book a try. It grabbed my interest quickly and got to the point that I could not put it down. Yes it is science fiction but has an underlying theme about what is important or precious about life. I was enthralled with the ending and it gave me an emotional rush that I do not get from many books. I will be recommending this book to all of my friends and family!
on September 6, 2012
Found out about this book through a friend and bought it just to see if it could catch and keep my interest. Its a great story filled with plenty of interesting and accurate science. This was a refreshing read,and as my review title says, i couldn't put it down. I really enjoyed reading it and the ending really left me wanting more. I hope this author thinks about writing a sequel!
on January 5, 2012
I love reading unknown/upcoming authors on my kindle and this had four 5-star reviews, and the concept of the book sounded good, so I figured it was at least worth reading the sample. But I couldn't even finish that because the grammar was kind of bad, but more importantly the author kept switching between past and present tense, even in mid-sentence - it was impossible to read. I didn't even make it half way through the sample before I stopped because of these problems. I don't know how anyone could read this type of writing so I can only assume that some of the 5-star reviews are the friends of the author or paid for or something like that.

Examples of tense changes:

"I heard her walk out of the room. I awake again..."

"Falling didn't hurt as much as I thought it would. Everything is in slow motion"

"It felt like I was floating back. I hear sounds in the background..."

"Warm water rises... it felt nice and soothing"

"Everything hurt for about ten seconds and then stopped. I take a breath and exhale..."

"They stop several feet beneath me and began what looks like..." [tense change mid-sentence]

"She stands a good three feet taller than me; next to her, my head was level with her waist" [another mid-sentence change]

All of these are within the first couple of pages, and I didn't even list all of them. I couldn't handle it after this point and just stopped reading.

Sorry, you may have a good idea for a story, but please get a proof-reader.
on February 14, 2012
I was initially captivated to buy this book when I saw a fairly simple yet beautiful cover and an interesting title 'Entropy'. The story is set in the time when the universe is heavily degenerating and nearing its end, with most stars already dead and planets destroyed, and it mostly follows three very well-developed characters. I was mostly impressed with how much science was integrated into the story's plot and how well it all fit in. It was clear that the author had done his research. It wasn't a bunch of scientific facts regurgitated in story form, there was actually a lot of imagination used in creating different settings, races, and species of creatures. Additionally, the main character's backstory was very emotional, the plot was intriguing, and there was also a bit of cute romance as well, not to mention a very profound ending. The only strange thing was that the story was written almost entirely in present tense (usually stories are written in past tense), but that does not hinder the story, because you get used to that style very quickly. Overall I was very impressed.
on January 7, 2012
Every once in a while, I feel like I hit a home run when I read a book by an indie author. Such is the case with Entropy, a hard core science fiction story set in a world eons into the future, where stars in the milky way galaxy are dying by the dozens. Indeed, Entropy is a fairly descriptive word to describe this story.

A human is awakened from stasis, and slowly explores his environment. The author slowly and steadily gives the reader background information on Tharon, the main character in this story, and how he came to be in outer space. Yet, all is not as it seems. The ship, controlled by an Artificial Intelligence named Noah, harbors its own secrets. And it appears Noah has a task or two for Tharon. . .

Entropy is a suspenseful, and surprising story, full of twists and turns as the truth is slowly revealed. Readers will be immersed in the story right up to the very end. Entropy is highly recommended for serious science fiction fans.
on January 4, 2012
I'm not one for fiction. I rarely venture into the Sci-Fi while reading. I started reading Entropy with skepticism that I would be able to be interested enough to finish it. I was wrong. The writing captured my imagination and I could identify with the characters. For the price, this book is a must read if you're into this sort of thing; if you're not, you'll be surprised by how engaged you'll be in the text.
on April 10, 2012
I loved the premise of this book but ended up skimming the whole thing simply because I couldn't stand to read each sentence. Grammar mistakes everywhere and overall very awkward writing. I'm baffled as to why anyone would give it 5 stars.